• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Stream 1,000+ Anime Episodes Throughout Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I don't know if the industry in Italy is bad or whatever.

It is. A normal non-mainstream anime sells (if there's luck involved) about 2,000 copies. However, I think there are hardly any titles that break 10,000 copies.

Quote:

I know the recent one was Gurren Lagann and Code Geass (which is no suprise because Italy are biggest importer of mecha anime

The distributor however complained that despite the TV run, sales were poor. It's really nothing new, as the anime market is almost dead in Italy, and it's a combination of lack of marketing, small companies (often ran with questionable procedures - as in lack of organization), and other local issues.

Quote:

I did notice Italy doesn't have a PSN video store yet (I think their Xbox Live video marketplace is either active or not, I'm not sure. I don't know about Itunes in Italy). I don't know if they have something equivalent to Hulu or ANN.

PSN Video store was recently launched I believe, but since I don't agree with their policy (regional locks) I haven't checked. Services like Hulu will never gain that much importance in Italy, as the broadband is still fragmented (plus other reasons).

Quote:

Anime companies in Italy like Dynit, and Yamato Video don't have video portal similar to Funi's and Viz's video portal

I have first hand experience with one of those, having worked for them a few years ago (not exposing myself though) and let me tell you that they're small, with low budgets and not really ran like a business (financially yes as they're healthy - but the rest, not).

Quote:

Anime in Italy do face censorship when trying to broadcast on cable TV.

There is no equivalent to cable TV in Italy. DVB-T isn't really anything similar to it.

Quote:

That's why Italy should look into video streaming and bring in Animax for that country,

I'm in the minority but I hope not. DRM + regional lock + proprietary video format (Flash) - No THanks. I'd buy a DVD/Blu Ray over streaming like this (in fact, I do).

OMG, the anime market in Italy is near dead!! What's going on and is this the reason why anime like Shakugan no Shana, and other non-mainstream anime is not being pick up in Italy? How did this decline happen, is it fansubs or people are just losing interest in anime. This is quite a shocking revelation. A country like Italy exposed to anime longer then America is now in trouble and the industry is near dead. Is Italy trying to do anything to keep the anime market alive in their country. Anime is like part of their culture, right? I have just found out that Playstation Video store has been released in Italy recently. So just like Europe, it doesn't have the TV show add in yet. from what you tell me about the internet in that country, Italy's broadband is not good over there is it?

I take it you're from Italy, and I feel sorry that the anime industry in your country is near dead. I have several questions: What are the anime fan (including the older ones) trying to do to save the industry in your country? How's the manga market in Italy? Is there any chance the anime market in Italy can be save from death?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Alright I always wanted to watch Remi, but I could only find French subbed now I will be able to watch thanks ANN can't wait until Sunday Very Happy
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Finally, Nobody's Boy Remi get's more appreciation. ANN just got that much cooler. I'm very proud to have supported this site since the beginning.
saber_kite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I've seen a few of them over the years. A local channel was big on adapting anime back then and Remi was one of them. God, I love/hate that show. Made me cry.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Could we get some newer series of Precure? At least try to get Max Heart, since it's a direct sequel. I hope this means some of Toei's older stuff might be available, too.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Subbed anime... meh lol
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Subbed anime... meh lol

Your posting... meh lol
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Orguss will be next since I only got 6 out of the 8 DVDs for that and would like to finish. Too bad ANN's not in the (micro)DVD business.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
There's always a chance we can get just about anything, provided the parties are willing (TMS is quite good people to work with), but since Remi was produced without a committee, it was the easiest title for them to try out. Which was fine by me, since it's one of my all-time favorite shows!

Instead, our overall direction will be finding the great shows that have slipped through the cracks, in the hopes they get discovered again. Lord knows there are enough of them. (This isn't to say we'd turn down something new and awesome though...)

Maybe you guys can get Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I kid, I kid... Or do I?

Anyway, I know of a bunch of undiscovered/forgotten/mistreated shows that I'd love to see on ANN's streams. Shows like B't X (TMS, baby! And boo Illumitoon for utterly ruining it!), Bastard!! (It's been sadly forgotten compared to when it was a fairly larger name just 10 years ago), and maybe even the second half of Saint Seiya (I know that plenty of people would love to see this happen in some or another...).

And for newer shows... Well Ring ni Kakero 1 would be nice, but it's probably never going to happen, for whatever reason.
androvsky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Any chance ANN could put together (or allow) a plugin for PlayOn? The company behind it would probably write the plugin for you since they're currently in a mad scramble for content... Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Well with prime time tv in re-runs for the vast majority (Still got my Burn Notice to watch thankfully) my anime watching habits will climb. So this is very good news indeed. I have to say I thoroughly enjoy the new media player as well. The old one wasn't bad but this one is more user friendly I think, and also faster. So thanks Justin and ANN for keeping me occupied during this hot and humid summer heh.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Justin, I'd like to second the request for Cat's Eye. I caught an episode once-- might have been at some year's AWA in one of the old-school dedicated viewing rooms? --and always wanted to see some more. (Especially after watching the Kisarazu Cat's Eye drama, which has only the lightest referential relationship to the Cat's Eye manga, but hey, a reminder's a reminder.)
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
Excellent news! I come here all the time for news anyways, so now I can do everything in one place. I seem to recall having some issues with the ANN video player in the past, so I can't wait to give this new upgrade a test ride!

Edit: Nice! The video quality is very good and everything is running a lot smoother than the players I've dealt with on CrunchyRoll and Funimation.com. Very little buffering and I can actually skip around an episode without everything breaking. Hopefully a sign of good things to come! Very Happy
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

OMG, the anime market in Italy is near dead!! What's going on and is this the reason why anime like Shakugan no Shana, and other non-mainstream anime is not being pick up in Italy?

Sadly the market has been stagnating quite a bit. There was a new publisher but didn't last long (3 years), that brought GiTS SAC and following season, among the others (including the Tenjo Tenge anime). There are also some irrealitic expectations, as no one is willing/can invest into marketing. I'd REALLY like an Italian version of Spice and Wolf for example, but that's not going to happen. Doesn't help that the people in the market are always the same, there's no new blood pumped in the companies...I think I know more than half of the people that work in the industry here, and I've been out of it (luckily) since 10 years or so, that means something...

Quote:

How did this decline happen, is it fansubs or people are just losing interest in anime. This is quite a shocking revelation. A country like Italy exposed to anime longer then America is now in trouble and the industry is near dead.

It's a complex issue, actually. The market has always been polarized, torn between super-elitist people and people that watch it just for the sake of it. There's also the issue that in general, while a fan is willing to buy manga, is not willing to buy anime in general. This happened way before fansubs became widespread (and it's stil a minority here). Boxsets aren't really common (just recently with Romeo x Juliet, Code Geass and Gurren Lagann) also because the anime fan isn't willing to spend on them. The only titles that sell decently well are titles from "the old forgotten past" (Gundam, Lupin III, etc.).

Quote:

from what you tell me about the internet in that country, Italy's broadband is not good over there is it?

Geographical, economical and other issues are slowing the adoption quite considerably.

Quote:

I have several questions: What are the anime fan (including the older ones) trying to do to save the industry in your country? How's the manga market in Italy? Is there any chance the anime market in Italy can be save from death?

The anime fan aren't doing a thing. I think I'm very cynical (since I've been in the market for about 20 years) but there's need for more money and such. Companies aren't really willing to risk anything unless it's bought by some TVs (rare now) or are financially strong titles (such as Eva 1.1 movie, the only Blu-ray anime release - save Paprika which was brought by Sony - in Italy). Given the current economic situation I think it's hard to see improvements. The manga market is stable, despite some shake ups and comments of impending doom. The only issue is that we have a limited selection of publishers that are brought over - Shueisha, Shogakkukan, Kodansha. Dengeki, and Kadokawa titles are rare, with some exceptions (Dorothea recently, and FMA).[/quote]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
Subbed anime... meh lol

Your posting... meh lol
Your company's international business practices... meh lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7