• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Stream 1,000+ Anime Episodes Throughout Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdeg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
How do the ads work?
I was suprised to be plugged with the same ad five times during a stream. Wouldn't more companies' ads mean larger revenue?

How are the ads we see selected?
I was offered a fiber laxative, Slimfast, and a cancer treatment hospital. Yes, I am getting older and a bit *ahem* slower, I am fighting the pudge a bit, and I smoke like a freight train, but, most of your demographic would respond to something different. Maybe deliverey pizza, hi-fi a/v gear, and computers?

Lastley, are you working on "product placement"?
It seems it would be easy to put an ad relavent to what is happening in the show up. For instance a Dunkin' Donuts ad after the "How to eat a cream horn" skit in Lucky Star would have been a four star product placement!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Nice try, but region locks and absence of a "pay to own" (instead of just sharing) model won't make it for me, sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Nice try, but region locks and absence of a "pay to own" (instead of just sharing) model won't make it for me, sorry.

Don't a lot of these streams have a pay to own option, also known as "DVD"?
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
se7en- wrote:
that is just. sad.. for international viewers like us that is...

Proxies are very useful tools for situations like this. I seriously doubt there will be any objections given a viewing helps build ad revenues and reduces the use of fan sub sites.

While it's a shame these region restrictions are causing hell for the industry, this shouldn't be the burden of those who want to legally contribute to anime.

Google will be your friend here.

Proxies, for those curious, are not illegal to use. They simply mask your IP address so that ANN's servers don't know you're coming from Denmark as opposed to California.

I am offering this advice with a caveat: I do not know how the staff of ANN feels about proxies. We'll know if this post is deleted.

Tried this, none of the proxy sites I tried work Sad Any particular proxy sites you'd suggest?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote
tdeg wrote:
How do the ads work?
I was suprised to be plugged with the same ad five times during a stream. Wouldn't more companies' ads mean larger revenue?

Yeah, we're trying to diversify the ads we get. Right now, all the ads are coming though another company we're working with. Once we get to a certain size we'll be able to sell more of them ourselves.

tdeg wrote:
How are the ads we see selected?

Ads are pulled from a pile at our ad network, with some influence from keywords in the show's description.

tdeg wrote:
Lastley, are you working on "product placement"?
It seems it would be easy to put an ad relavent to what is happening in the show up. For instance a Dunkin' Donuts ad after the "How to eat a cream horn" skit in Lucky Star would have been a four star product placement!

Uhh... we don't make the anime.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder...since Nobody's Boy Remi is being streamed by ANN...I wonder if it's possible for ANN to stream the series The Dog of Flanders: My Patrasche on here? Y'know, the 90's anime version of Dog of Flanders, since that and Nobody's Boy Remi are both produced by TMS Entertainment (kind of)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7