• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - North by Northrop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow Zac. You're good at doing the promo.

Happy birthday Justin.

Russel Brand is a motorist. This fact is burned onto my very soul from seeing that commercial so many times.

Yeah, I hear that Rainbow is at least something of a disappointing. I think Justin's comments are the first positive response I've hear.

I'm totally on board with them shutting down these big manga scan aggregators.

Honestly it annoys me how quick people are to forgive Crunchyroll. Especially since they didn't really go legit out of any kind of moral choice. They just finally reached a point where their theft allowed them to transition to a legit service.

That's just [expletive] stupid. It's a shame too because I would absolutely love it if more cons charged for the events if it was instead of charging just to get in. I don't go to cons because I don't want to pay for a fairly expensive ticket just to go in and poke around a bit. If I could do that then maybe I'd decide to pay to check out an event or two.

Question: Can we put Northrop's daughter in charge of something in the anime or movie industry? It seems like a step in the right direction.

I'll start reading OEL manga when they stop calling it OEL manga. To me, that would be the first sign that they're not just sort of regurgitating what they've seen in manga and maybe offering something of their own. There's nothing wrong with being manga inspired. There is a ton of good stuff that's clearly somewhat manga inspired published by other companies. It seems like the stuff being put out there by manga companies is completely uninspired though.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm sure some people will come in and scream "But they're not showing the anime so it's different!". It's not different. They're still profiting off the works of others. None of us can legally access these show in the United States, which means they're profiting off of those profiting off of infringed works.

Yeah, totally. Making money by doing nothing but providing illegal access to somebody else product and taking away sales from the legitimate creators and distributors is totally equivalent to profiting off actually creating reviews while not actually making this stuff available and taking away sales. That statement in no way sets a new standard for ridiculous and tenuous criticisms of ANN.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That statement in no way sets a new standard for ridiculous and tenuous criticisms of ANN.

Your cynical remark aside, you're completely missing the point. They used the fan sub site. When someone comes along and explains to me how this is any different than the users hitting manga sites everyone wants shut down, I'll concede this argument.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
That statement in no way sets a new standard for ridiculous and tenuous criticisms of ANN.

Your cynical remark aside, you're completely missing the point. They used the fan sub site. When someone comes along and explains to me how this is any different than the users hitting manga sites everyone wants shut down, I'll concede this argument.

I didn't miss your point. I observed that your point was stupid and now you're back pedaling and changing your criticism. A minute ago you we're trying to equate ANN to these manga sites on some tenuous basis that ANN kind of some times sort of profits thanks to fansubs. Now you're just calling them hypocrites for using fansubs (which supposedly makes them as bad as the people using these manga sites).

Well the obvious answer to this is that they're not criticizing people for using scans and fansubs. They're criticizing people for whining about the sites getting shut down. That's entirely different.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Happy Birthday Justin!

wow, poor AX attendees, hope by next year the price is lowered :/ I mean I'd always hope to go to Anime Expo one day in my life, but even if I got a really good paying job or won a lottery, I'd still probably pass and go to another convention.

Or even worse, what if in some weird off-chance AX actually makes alot more profit, I wonder if other more popular cons will follow their example?

and for scanlation sites I-......no, never mind, everything that I'd want to say has already been said.

And thanks again to Northrop Davis for coming, he ended up being a much more interesting and entertaining guest than I had initially thought Anime smile
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This action is absolutely no different than the manga and fansub sites, but yet it's okay to use them, write a review, profit from it, then criticize these sites on their own for-profit website.

Thanks for basing your argument on a falsehood rather than for trying to base on a value statement, since basing it on a falsehood makes it easier to see that the argument has no grounding.

Manga and fansub sites distribute a copy of the work without permission. ANN reviews the work. It is a long established precedent that distributing a copy of a work and writing a review of a work are different and, indeed, there is no requirement to gain permission to write a review.

Therefore, when you say there is "absolutely no difference", the claim is false. Since its the premise of your argument, your argument is unfounded.

Thanks again, this is much simpler.

Note that you could have made a charge of hypocrisy on these grounds if, in the ANNcast, they had made a scathing critique of readers of the scumbag manga viewing sites and viewers of the bloodsucker leech streaming sites.

Bad luck for you, then, that they directed their scathing criticism to the scumbag manga viewing sites.

While you and I obviously are aware that the scumbag manga viewing sites are trampling on the rights of the original creators to give or withhold permission to copy their work ... a large number of the readers will be deliberately kept in the dark by the operators of the scumbag sites, who try to mislead readers into thinking that what the scumbag sites are doing is legal or ethical.

On a side note, I would hope that the ANN reviewers get a copy by leeching a torrent stream, and erase the download in under 24 hours of download. While I am grateful that, for example, their review of Giant Killing was available for use to spread the work about the series when CR acquired the streaming rights ... they shouldn't be going around either breaking the law or giving advertising revenue to the bloodsucker leech streaming sites to do so.

Far better would be to datamine the actual stream source from the leech streaming site, report the copyright infringement to the safe harbor video streamer and the rights owner, and then watch the stream on the safe harbor, denying the bloodsucker leech streaming site both the ad revenue from the view and with luck forcing them to repeat their illegal upload to the safe harbor site.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I observed that your point was stupid and now you're back pedaling and changing your criticism.

It's not like that. Basically what I did was "Hey, check out how you used these fansub sites as a benefit, so maybe lay off ripping on those defending these sites." I wasn't obvious, but that was sort of the point.

Quote:
A minute ago you we're trying to equate ANN to these manga sites on some tenuous basis that ANN kind of some times sort of profits thanks to fansubs.

I didn't equate them to the sites at all. I said the actions are no different.

Quote:
Now you're just calling them hypocrites for using fansubs (which supposedly makes them as bad as the people using these manga sites).

I started out with this, not "just now". And aren't they just as bad? If the entire point of this topic is because people are using these sites which contributes to the site owners, I don't see how their actions aren't different.

Quote:
They're criticizing people for whining about the sites getting shut down. That's entirely different.

And this includes me. I started my conversation out in that other thread of why I see this as a bad mistake. I'm challenging the processes this coalition said it was going to take to have these sites shut down.

You'll excuse me if I tend to get a little pissed at this news, then berated because I want to defend the site because, in this country, we're innocent until proven guilty.

Running to the FBI with boo hoo complaints of lost profits is circumventing the very laws these publishers and other distributors fought to change through our government. Now, because these changes aren't working, they want to circumvent them?

People tend to forget designing websites is my livelihood. Someone had to design these pages. My livelihood has already taken an impact thanks to these law changes, and now I've got to prepare myself when dealing with clients. "Sure, I can build this website for you, but realize the FBI can shut it down at any moment because your users are violating the law."

THAT, and that alone, is why I'm against this coalition's position to take down the sites. If this coalition works within the bounds of the law, and the site is then taken down, then I'm all for it and will support their actions.

Otherwise, they're only setting a precedence which will have implications down the road. Don't like what a person did on a website? Fear not. The FBI's here to save the day.

We web designers already see enough abuse of the DMCA. This just compounds it. I know people will say I'm overreacting, but I'm not. The abusive use of the DMCA has proven my fears are more than justified.

agila61 wrote:
Therefore, when you say there is "absolutely no difference", the claim is false. Since its the premise of your argument, your argument is unfounded.

Remember that pawn shop owner example you used? Here it is.

Rather disappointing from you, agila61.

No matter. I'm done with this topic.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast. I wonder if anyone else listened until the end? Nice. Smile

It's great that they are finally going after scan sites. Unfortunately those scansites are simple viewing tools for the JPG's. Mere windows to view through. These got more popular through out the 2000's. though it's just stopping the few that are profiting off scans, not stopping scans all together. So WTF?

Why not shut down IRC? Why not go after the source of most of this?

It's like trying to fight SKYNET from the Terminator series. The users in the world are self aware. It knows what it wants and will do everything in it's power to stop you from taking all they've every known, away.

Onemanga already has several other mirrored sites that are in the same format. What then? Spend more money to go after the name change, and have them change again?

When I watched Mike's dubs that time forgot part 2, I checked around and every one of those titles have a torrent that is currently active. Even though some from sites that no longer exist. Who pissed off who to make it this way?

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Glad to hear more and more people coming out and saying they loved Speed Racer. I saw it in theaters twice and tried to get everyone I knew to go see it, but they all looked at me like I was insane, and well, they're probably right.
You and me the same. I really liked it but a ton of people just didn't get into the style. Too bad for them. That's ok though, I couldn't stand the live action Transformers movies.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Wow, Zac and Justin sure call the forums on the crap justifications for scanlations.

This is when I stopped playing this week's podcast. The hypocrisy of Zac and Justin is absolutely ludicrous.
Yep, the entire site does reek with hypocrisy, but these two are both burned out. So let them be burned out. It's still somewhat entertaining. Though less and less amusing as the days go by.

Why you would make, what they've made, into a career is beyond me. They are old enough to know that you gotta keep your job and your hobby's separate, or you'll lose yourself real quick. I learned this when I worked at E3 for several years. I found that's it's far more enjoyable to be the consumer, rather than the producer.

Oh yeah, and Happy birthday Justin. The big 30! (I'll be 29 in a few months) Now it's your turn to go get married just like your sister. HA! I'm sure your parents are wondering where the kids are at. I hear it all the time, mang.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I wish that Japanese studios could just be given a Hollywood budget for these type of movies, and only have slight American involvement.

becuase the japanese are so much better at adapting their own works for live action, right?

Uh... yeah. The Death Note movies were a fairly good adaptation, and certainly better than I would expect from Hollywood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Great podcast. I wonder if anyone else listened until the end? Nice. Smile

It's great that they are finally going after scan sites. Unfortunately those scansites are simple viewing tools for the JPG's. Mere windows to view through. These got more popular through out the 2000's. though it's just stopping the few that are profiting off scans, not stopping scans all together. So WTF?

Why not shut down IRC? Why not go after the source of most of this?

Don't confuse the means and the end. Going after the big manga viewing sites is a means to an end. The end is to open up space to create a legit market.

The reason for going after the big manga viewing sites is that they are the place where the big diversion of potential market into illegal networks takes place. You go after the pirates that are putting the most bootleg product in front of the audience and getting between the artists and their potential audience.

The second leg of the tripod is increasing the online availability of the big hit manga.

The third leg of the tripod is wooing the scanlators over to the legal side with legal crowdsource translation of the kind of manga that cannot be viably printed for market outside of Japan.

After taking down the bold and blatant criminal sites, there will be a flurry of people looking for free shit from other sources. As the flock comes to roost on one site, that brings them to attention and allows them to be taken down or disrupted. However, since there is no way to completely eliminate torrent fileshare, an essential part of weaning viewers off the criminal sites is to woo scanlators out of the illegal online social networks and into the new legal online social networks that people are trying to build.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:23 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
The reason for going after the big manga viewing sites is that they are the place where the big diversion of potential market into illegal networks takes place. You go after the pirates that are putting the most bootleg product in front of the audience and getting between the artists and their potential audience.
I hear that, and I hope they do. Places like Naruto Fan are shameless and need to be eradicated.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Before I listed to this I have two things to say:

Happy birthday Justin

..and, how'd you get to be a veteran of the anime industry while being younger than me? o_0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is not about fansubs. This is not about scanlations. This is not about fans trading scans of hard-to-find manga on IRC, or even fansubs on bittorrent.

These are about commercial enterprises illegally exploiting other people's content for profit, and mostly with content that can be had legally. They may be convenient for you, but the threat they pose is so severe that they threaten the very existence of the manga industry, if left unchecked.

If you don't care and just want your free manga fix with little effort on your part, I understand. You are being selfish, but that's all that can really be expected of most people. It's not your job to worry about the big picture. Luckily, your opinion doesn't matter much, and changes nothing. The official publishers should address your desires as a consumer, but that's their prerogative.

Personally, my stance on piracy is "always absolute last resort." That's the role I think fansubs and scanlations should play. When things go beyond that -- and the do for the vast majority of people -- there's damage, and if this stuff is your livelihood that damage needs to be addressed. I absolutely respect that.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
agila61 wrote:
I hear that, and I hope they do. Places like N***** F** are shameless and need to be eradicated.

This current move is publishers, so its the big manga viewing sites that directly host this mass of illegal content.

But places like N***** F** are vulnerable to more direct action - they do not host their material, but upload it to sites like Megavideo, Veoh, and MySpace and leech it from there. That means that they can be datamined for their links with the links passed on to the rights holders, who issue C&D letters to the big safe harbor streaming sites, and the streams go away and the leech streamer has to upload them all over again.

Its possible to harvest thousands of bootleg upload links in one day's work and see hundreds go away in a couple of days.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That "disclaimer voice" was effing creepy. Laughing

Agreed, I was wondering if I should grab the holy water when that started.
machetecat wrote:
I didn't realize Onemanga was making a bunch of money off their stuff. I feel rather stupid and dirty now.

Same here, since people have said for years that ad-based revenue doesn't usually generate much I assumed that between hosting all the images and all the traffic they got the ads were there to cover that. And I guess the only thing to do is cut back on scanlations for the moment. Really there are only three series I'm attached to right now as far as scans go and one of those is unlicensed (and then another takes about a month to get translated so I'd love to have a legal and faster way to see it). Maybe with Yen Press putting their magazine online other publishers could take a look and see what works/doesn't about however they do it and take inspiration from it?
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Other titles like Yen Press's Black Butler and Pandora Hearts were also widely available scanlated before Yen Press got the rights to them.

Actually, Pandora Hearts is one of those three I really follow, and the scanlations didn't really exist before Yen Press got the license. They announced it last April and the anime didn't start until later int the month and I remember at the time of the anime there were only 5/10 chapters out and it certainly wasn't until July/August that the scanlators caught up with the Japanese releases. So yeah, it was more of a coincidence with when the anime started that the scans started coming out, but there were almost no English scanlations when this was announced.

I tried a few of TP's OEL manga and didn't like most of them and I found it strange that the stories were so, well, bland. Especially since in this past year I've gotten really into webcomics and, while very few of them are professional quality in both art and story, the 40+ ones I follow are a heck of a lot more engaging. The talent's out there but I think that TP was too concerned with making the stories "manga-like" instead of trusting the authors (and editors) with their own unique visions.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Now you're just calling them hypocrites for using fansubs (which supposedly makes them as bad as the people using these manga sites).

I started out with this, not "just now". And aren't they just as bad? If the entire point of this topic is because people are using these sites which contributes to the site owners, I don't see how their actions aren't different.

Okay PJ. I'm not going to get into a whole back and forth with you. I've explained why both of your criticisms are baseless and I'm not going to go on about it. I will make one point though: No. The above statement is false.

You are saying now: They are hypocrites for using fansubs because this makes them the same as the fans who use these manga sites.

You were initially saying: They are hypocrites for using fansubs because this makes them the same as the people who run these manga sites. Just look at your comments:

PetrifiedJello wrote:
This action is absolutely no different than the manga and fansub sites, but yet it's okay to use them, write a review, profit from it, then criticize these sites on their own for-profit website.

Quote:
I guess it's okay, since ANN doesn't get 1,000,000+ page hits per day.

Quote:
It's not different. They're still profiting off the works of others.

It's pretty apparent that you're angry that they've criticized people like you and you want to criticize them back. You put out the first thing you could think of and now you are moving the goal posts to try and re-justify your criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5