• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

Snark aside, I think that is the main reason most people read scanlations (or fansubs or whatever). People like to discuss things with other people. That's just the way we're wired. I can understand people being frustrated if you can't discuss something you like with anyone because you are always a tiny bit behind.

Part of the reason I love anime/manga is because of the seralized nature of it, and I've found that talking about a story when it's ongoing usually generates more discussion (as opposed to say, western novels where a book comes out, okay, that story is done, not much to say except that you hope the next will be out soon).
As for the waiting, a lot of the scanlations I read, oddly enough, were more recently licensed so if I swore off scanlations today I wouldn't be able to get to the next chapter for 4 years or so. Honestly there's a good chance I'd forget about the story by then because there would be so much else in life to remember so I'd rather read the scans as I find them and then buy a volume every 4 months or however often it comes out.
irriadin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
irriadin wrote:

Let me just say that for Bleach, at least, we are on a release schedule that lags far, far behind japan. Currently there are 31 volumes available from Viz; there are 45 released in Japan. So we're about 2.5 years behind. The wait is almost interminable.

Did you not seeing the Naruto Nation link I posted? We're only 15 vols or so behind the japanese one. If VIZ decides to have a Bleach Nation, one ONE MONTH we will jump ahead 2 years. They've done it for One Piece, done it for Naruto multiple times, so eventually once enough volumes pile up, they'll do it for Bleach.

And seriously, waiting 2.5 years for something would never of been a problem if you hadn't resorted to bootlegs. You could of just enjoyed the series as it came out. If more people did that, VIZ probably would be releasing it quicker like they did with Kenshin, becasue sales and available shelf space would merit it.

I own all the released volumes of Bleach that Viz has put out, so I don't see how this is causing VIZ any problems. I *could* have enjoyed the series as it came out, if there wasn't endless discussions and reminders that we are VERY far behind in releases. Dark Horse is really good at releasing Berserk in a timely fashion; I've never even thought about reading scanlations of it. Wish VIZ would do the same for Bleach...
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
irriadin wrote:
I own all the released volumes of Bleach that Viz has put out, so I don't see how this is causing VIZ any problems. I *could* have enjoyed the series as it came out, if there wasn't endless discussions and reminders that we are VERY far behind in releases. Dark Horse is really good at releasing Berserk in a timely fashion; I've never even thought about reading scanlations of it. Wish VIZ would do the same for Bleach...

I often wonder if anime/manga forums should have seperate threads for non-scan readers for these highprofile series, or not allow scans discussions [which probably wouldn't work since peopole could just be reading the japanese ed. they imported, so option A would probably be best]

I imagine VIZ'll catch up eventually. It still seems to be a popular series for them, and I guess the current schedule is becasue keeping it in SJump helps the sales of that magazine, and makes the series more prominent for readers of the magazine, which still sells hundreds of thousands of copies each month. Who do you wanna please more, impatient fans reading bootlegs, or the readers of the best selling monthly comic in North America?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

what the hell. just... why is waiting for something so terrible? your life will not be forfeit if you don't know the latest MOST UP-TO-DATE bullshit about Bleach the very second it's made available in Japan. i know everyone wants to go on 4chan's anime board and talk shit about how much the latest chapter sucks and how this chapter sucks more than the last fifty chapters that they still keep reading from scanlation sites every week for some sick reason, but... seriously, guys.

Wow, that's pretty much the truth right there Brian.

Also, it just occured to me that you used to be on the AnimeJump forums [I used Andre there]. Clearly, everyone awesome once posted on AnimeJump- I swear 1/2 the new columnists at ANN used to post there. We need to revive it.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

As long as you're buying... But still, nobody forces you to read the discussions on forums. Avoid those and you can leave a happy, 99% spoiler free life. There are still people out there who don't know ***** dies in ***** *******! Or * dies in ***** ****!

Yeah, but, you know, i have many anime fan friends irl ) Still want to beat up one of them, who spoiled me all the Death Note! Evil or Very Mad

And i'm buying stuff (5 volumes of Bleach and 4 of Death Note, that was published in russian, etc), but One Piece, for example, we just don't have it here, so the scanlations often is the only option.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Orange Hollow wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

As long as you're buying... But still, nobody forces you to read the discussions on forums. Avoid those and you can leave a happy, 99% spoiler free life. There are still people out there who don't know ***** dies in ***** *******! Or * dies in ***** ****!

Yeah, but, you know, i have many anime fan friends irl ) Still want to beat up one of them, who spoiled me all the Death Note! Evil or Very Mad

And i'm buying stuff (5 volumes of Bleach and 4 of Death Note, that was published in russian, etc), but One Piece, for example, we just don't have it here, so the scanlations often is the only option.

Tell your friends you don't want spoilers- if they're your friends, they'll understand. I dunno, if OnePiece wasn't available here, I'd just read somethingelse and wait for someone to pick it up. I know Russia's still just growing as a manga market, so your choices might be limite,d but I hope your friends are supporting Russian releases too- the more markets have stable manga licensing companies publishing lots of books, the better, since it'll help keep the companies in Japan afloat during what looks like a tough economic time given recent news about Japan's economy.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Tell your friends you don't want spoilers- if they're your friends, they'll understand. I dunno, if OnePiece wasn't available here, I'd just read somethingelse and wait for someone to pick it up. I know Russia's still just growing as a manga market, so your choices might be limite,d but I hope your friends are supporting Russian releases too- the more markets have stable manga licensing companies publishing lots of books, the better, since it'll help keep the companies in Japan afloat during what looks like a tough economic time given recent news about Japan's economy.

You know how it usually happens, 10 people sitting in one room talking about some anime shit ) You just can't avoid spoilers. (unless you already know them)
Plus, while we surely see more and more manga available, for reasonable price (about $8 for volume), some series had been dropped by it's publisher, like Ranma, that stuck at 14th volume. How can i restrain myself to not download it! It's just too awesome to not read it to the end )
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Warning: I apollogize for the long sarcastic post but...
I only hear complaints about the mainstream milked-out shonen stuff. What about shoujo (let alone seinen/josei)? A normal series goes what, 10-15 volumes max? That could mean five years if it's still ongoing, and if it doesn't get dropped! From just that, honestly, it does sound like a rediculous amount of time. Why should I have to wait that long? (Especially when the series doesn't finish? Yeah, glad YOU waited long enough before starting to find that out...)

Well, Tokyopop released the first volume of Fruits Basket in 2004. Six years later they managed to release the 23rd and final volume. Six. That's your whole teenage lifespan. I believe they were eight volumes behind when Japan finished. How horrible. Except the fact FB first came out in 1998. The poor Japanese had to wait eight. whole. years. to find out how it ended. Without the luxury of cheating with spoilers and scans because the next chapter didn't exist yet. Just imagine having to wait monthly, even bi-monthly, for the next chapter. No wonder it takes forever. You weekly SJ folks have it good. Even though it's a late start, English won't take so long in a regular start to finish run because we get it chunks at a time.

It's the same with any manga or video game or novel or movie or tv show. If you like it, you'll wait. No matter how painful. How long has One Piece/Bleach/Naruto been out? You've waited all thease years and you're still a fan? With more years to come with no end in sight?? All the Twilight fans from other countries had to patienly wait even as people posted major spoilers the very day of its release online. Do you know how long people have waited for Dune, or *still* wait, for big sf/f titles like Wheel of Time? Yet the fanbase is alive and kicking. When will that Avengers movie finally get made? We wait a year after Japan for Final Fantasy or Kingdome Hearts, beat it in a week, then sit around a few more years for its next game.

I don't care who you are or if you've got a whole wall filled with manga. If you read scans regularly there's no way you bought everything you read. Now I get to wait an eternity for those titles that lost their chance because "I'm sure I can just find it for free online." How ironic that this very train of thought is what's making people take up a labor of love on a series in the first place just so they can follow it to the end. But I guess the mangaka won't mind. After all, they weren't going to make any money off it anyway.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I find it very smug and holier than thou to think you have a right to steal someonelses creative works just because you're a fan of it. So yeah, that's my major issue with it right there.

But that's the thing: You can't steal something that isn't licensed. Translations of unlicensed works are not what's damaging the industry here. I absolutely agree with you on your issues with scans of licensed works, but your arguments against translations of unlicensed works is just, for lack of a better word, retarded. Your mindset is completely screwed up. Instead of thinking "translations of licensed titles are bad!", your thought process is "FAN TRANSLATION OF UNLICENSED TITLES BAD ANY FAN TRANSLATION BAD DURR"

Even Zac agrees with me:

Me, via Twitter wrote:
I want to know your stance on the translation of unlicensed titles. Do you still think it's wrong?

Zac wrote:
I've never thought that was wrong, so long as it's kept under control and nobody's directly profiting from it.

You think you're on to something, but you just aren't, and that's the sad thing.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
silver_deeds wrote:

Well, Tokyopop released the first volume of Fruits Basket in 2004. Six years later they managed to release the 23rd and final volume. Six. That's your whole teenage lifespan. I believe they were eight volumes behind when Japan finished. How horrible. Except the fact FB first came out in 1998. The poor Japanese had to wait eight. whole. years. to find out how it ended. Without the luxury of cheating with spoilers and scans because the next chapter didn't exist yet. Just imagine having to wait monthly, even bi-monthly, for the next chapter. No wonder it takes forever. You weekly SJ folks have it good. Even though it's a late start, English won't take so long in a regular start to finish run because we get it chunks at a time.

I seem to recall, and looking up the release dates of the Japanese manga suggests it as well, that the manga-ka had an injury that took awhile to recover from and that's why it took longer to release in Japan than it did in the US. Especially if you look at the pattern of releases in Japan, about three volumes a year (except for one or two years where I think she was recovering) and TP put out three or four volumes a year. So while English fans are going to get about the same number of chapters that a Japanese fan would get in monthly releases the complaint seems to be more that the US is so far behind the Japanese that it's hard to hold a discussion about it. I agree with the idea of having seperate Japan and US (or whatever country you're in) discussions but most of us don't have the self-control to not binge on scans.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It's still stealing at the end of the day to me, and under the law as well, since copyright is international. It's a little easier to overlook, but Zac kind of answered my own issue with it in that tweet....

rockman nes wrote:

But that's the thing: You can't steal something that isn't licensed. Translations of unlicensed works are not what's damaging the industry here. I absolutely agree with you on your issues with scans of licensed works, but your arguments against translations of unlicensed works is just, for lack of a better word, retarded.

Even Zac agrees with me:

Zac wrote:
I've never thought that was wrong, so long as it's kept under control and nobody's directly profiting from it.

You think you're on to something, but you just aren't, and that's the sad thing.

Heres the thing-
"so long as it's kept under control and nobody's directly profiting from it"

These sites are directly profitting from it, and it's not being kept under control since anyone can access them with very little effort, and despite some companies like Kodansha requesting their titles not be scanlated [like when Kodansha asked MangaHelpers to take down their works], people kept scanlating, so I'd say Zac answers my problem with scans of unlicensed titles.

Also, stop using the word retarded. It's a pretty offensive word. Why not say stupid? Misunderstood? Or say, misguided?

And seriously, could people just not download a text file of the translation and import it? Would it be that hard? Foriegn editions of manga aren't that hard to import.

[and if anyone says "oh noes! I'd have to keep flipping back and forth to the translaiton I printed out!" I'm sorry, but that's pretty lazy of you. You can't multitask! Oh Noes! No poor yous allowed 0_o]
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
rockman nes wrote:

But that's the thing: You can't steal something that isn't licensed. Translations of unlicensed works are not what's damaging the industry here. I absolutely agree with you on your issues with scans of licensed works, but your arguments against translations of unlicensed works is just, for lack of a better word, retarded.

Even Zac agrees with me:

Zac wrote:

Heres the thing-
"so long as it's kept under control and nobody's directly profiting from it"

These sites are directly profitting from it, and it's not being kept under control since anyone can access them with very little effort...

I'M NOT. [expletive]. TALKING. ABOUT. SITES LIKE. ONE MANGA. YOU [expletive]. HALF-WIT.

Paploo wrote:
Also, stop using the word retarded. It's a pretty offensive word. Why not say stupid? Misunderstood? Or say, misguided?

I will not. At this point I'm seriously considering you a troll. God knows this site is full of them..

Paploo wrote:
And seriously, could people just not download a text file of the translation and import it? Would it be that hard? Foriegn editions of manga aren't that hard to import.

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote
So I'm a troll now? Gah, I think you've got the wrong person.

I just happen to have a particular set of beliefs regarding how I consumer my manga, and find fault with people who abuse others intellectual property- I've been a cartoonist for about 10 years now, and I personally don't like that kind of stuff.

It's not like you have a right to read someonelses work online that they haven't freely offered to you just because they live in Japan.

If you don't know where to buy Japanese editions of your favorite manga, or french editions, or any other stuff, you aren't looking hard enough.
http://www.kinokuniya.com/ is just one of many sites you can buy your japanese ed. manga at, and since they have a US based division, shippings probably not too bad.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
why can't people just wait it out?

The simplest, and shortest answer is, because the internet makes instant distribution possible. Is it right? No one cares. No one.

Quote:
i know it's a bit different when it comes to titles that aren't licensed yet or older stuff, but let's be completely honest here and say that the bulk of scanlations are from [sic] legally available titles...

You see, Brian, this is the rub. Most of these sites started out with those titles no one thought is harming the industry. Then, of course, they grew now leaving these owners no choice but to go after them now that owners can see through that blind eye. Now they're bigger than any legitimate site out there, so of course it's time to blame them.

Someone's always profiting. Even if those profits are merely to run a website and nothing more, it's still a profit of works done by others.

Note: I'm not defending these sites, I'm just saying everyone is at fault for allowing them to flourish.

rockeman nes wrote:
But that's the thing: You can't steal something that isn't licensed.

Yes, you most certainly can. It's why these fan sub and manga sites flourished.

That's why everyone's upset at these sites.

Of course, these sites could return the overage back to the owners of the content, but I've a feeling this won't be enough because it won't cover the actual licensing costs others have to pay. This is just my opinion, though, so don't take it too seriously.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I seem to recall, and looking up the release dates of the Japanese manga suggests it as well, that the manga-ka had an injury that took awhile to recover from and that's why it took longer to release in Japan than it did in the US. Especially if you look at the pattern of releases in Japan, about three volumes a year (except for one or two years where I think she was recovering) and TP put out three or four volumes a year. So while English fans are going to get about the same number of chapters that a Japanese fan would get in monthly releases the complaint seems to be more that the US is so far behind the Japanese that it's hard to hold a discussion about it. I agree with the idea of having seperate Japan and US (or whatever country you're in) discussions but most of us don't have the self-control to not binge on scans.

Well, Fruits Basket was just the first thing that came to my head that I already knew dates for. I shouldn't have used a long series. You make a good point that it wasn't a good example. Though I will argue that because of Takaya's injury slowing down her then ongoing series progres, it also slowed down the English release. They went from 6 releases to 3 a year because they were catching up with Japan. Remember, publishere here usually have to plan 6 months ahead for each volume and you want to keep a steady pace with an ongoing series. The delay in Japan caused a delay in America as well. Same thing is happening with Skip Beat and Host Club.

Anyway, the point I failed to get across is that you make yourself have to wait longer when you pick up with Japan by using scans but because we're good little boys and girls we have to wait and finish with the engligh release. And if we just had a regular flow of sales to allow publishers a steady schedule, you only have to wait just as long, if that, as those reading the original japanese version.

Saying "You have to suck it up an wait. Sucks to be you. Ha! We don't have to so we're not going to." seems redundant since you're still having to wait anyway. Sucks to be you!

Edit: Ok, now I'm sounding mean. Here's where I stand: You see something new coming out and want to preview the first part to help decide where your money goes? Fine. Just bought the latest volume and can't take it anymore, you simply *must* know what happens next? That's fine. I do that, too. But saying "I can't wait" doesn't cut it if you start to only read online. You chose to read ahead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5