• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
If I go any further in this issue, I will either die of a brain aneurysm or get banned from this site, so I'll just kick myself out.
vanillahellsing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a serious question. Are any of you manga-ka? Do any of you lose money from sites like onemanga? You're so quick to insult anybody who might read scans it seems like you're taking it personally.

Brian is not the alpha and omega of manga morality. He's a columnist. He's a good columnist, but at the end of the day he's just the guy who answers some questions and makes fun of mentally challenged people who made the mistake of e-mailing the wrong person. (run-on sentence! horray!)

I started the School Days manga on a free scan site yesterday. I watched the anime on a "free" stream site. Regardless of how creepy the ending is, I won't lose any sleep at night. Why? Japan had the business of anime/manga under control before America found out about it and they'll be on top of it if/after America loses interest.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
vanillahellsing wrote:
I have a serious question. Are any of you manga-ka? Do any of you lose money from sites like onemanga? You're so quick to insult anybody who might read scans it seems like you're taking it personally.

Brian is not the alpha and omega of manga morality. He's a columnist. He's a good columnist, but at the end of the day he's just the guy who answers some questions and makes fun of mentally challenged people who made the mistake of e-mailing the wrong person. (run-on sentence! horray!).

I've been a professional cartoonist since 2003, and vote in the Eisners. So I guess I'd be a professional "mangaka". That is admittedly a major part of why I have ire about this stuff. I might just do webcomics, but have been doing so under an editor for almost a decade, so I might not be Alan Moore or whoever, and haven't really had much in print, but it's given me a lot of insight into the industry, manga and comics, and it's been responsible for forming the opinions I have today.

And even then, Brian not being a professional cartoonist doesn't make his opinions any less valid.

BTW--- I have had friends whose works have been scanned, and yeah, it's a MAJOR headache for cartoonists [I have heard many a rant, both in person and online]. It's soul crushing stuff quite literally, and a major demotivator when it comes to me making comics even though my stuff's never been bootlegged. It just makes me feel like why make comics at all? People are just going to steal them, dump all over me purposely or without any thought to it, and I'll waste my time when I could of been doing somethingelse [or something that makes $$$$].

Last edited by Paploo on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I just don't get why people need to something illegal for fulfillment, especially if it's just to get an anime/manga fix. I mean, at one point in my fandom I watched fansubs, but now that I don't, I have to wonder whatever possessed me to do so. With the literally thousands of ways to watch anime for free legally, there's no need for me to do something illegal watch it.

As for scanlations, I'm not huge on manga, but if there's something I can't read because it's not licensed, I'm not going to sleep over. As a matter of fact, I really want to read the "High School of the Dead" manga, but it's not licensed, and I'm not going to read a scanlation to get my fix of HSotD. Instead, I'll read some Sundome or Girls Bravo and just keep checking ANN to see if it's licesned yet. If it never does, oh well. Can't miss what you've never seen.

That last line is also kind of aimed at the people who keep talking about how far behind Japan we are. So? Solution: Stop caring so much about Japan. You don't live there.

I'm not ragging on people who use fansubs/scanlations, but I do have to wonder what makes a person so needy.

As for next weeks question, three words: Remastered Complete Collections.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Boy I gotta agree about the editor thing, I mean sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad but how can you know in the end until it releases to the public? It's kind of infuriating really.

I agree about the scanlation issue as well.

For the Answerfan question from last week, it is quite hard to see where the industry is going in the right direction. I'm not saying it's their fault either, but in this economy and with all of the illegal activity that steals money from the industry it's tough to even stay afloat. Still there are some interesting things happening. For instance on our side of the world I like that sentai/section 23 is doing well and that they seem to be releasing more and more. Also, Funimation is of course still sitting well on top. And now that they're leaving Navarre they may be able to settle down with a company more suited for them. In Japan there seems to be at least some evidence that they may finally start to be moving away from pandering to the ecchi-loving crowd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't really have much against people who just want to keep up (even if it's a faulty argument), but the fact is the scans aren't just going to people who read to catch up and then buy the books. There isn't any control. No "we'll only be giving this to people who buy the English releases". The scans are literally everywhere once posted online. Also, there really is no point in scanlating a series that's currently 3 volumes in Japan and is scheduled to have a volume released every three months in NA. I think that's where some disagreements start: some people are responsible, but some people aren't, and some of the latter would have purchased if the books hadn't of been online. It's still available. As annoying as it is, you'll get it, and sales mean a faster release schedule.

There's always another series to keep you preoccupied, too. I've been wanting to read The Embalmer 5 for a long time. Tokyopop currently doesn't seem to have any intention of releasing it, if they even have rights to it. A Twitter reply basically said they have nothing to report on the volume. As far as I know, no one is even scanlating it. But, y'know, I just don't think about it every day. I accept TP is having scheduling issues and just have to keep my patience and wait. In the mean time, I just stick with other series. Also, keep in mind that the 5th volume was released in Japan in September, 2008 and the 6th came out in November 2009. TP starting releasing the series in 2006 and the dates leaked in to 2007. That's a bit of a wait.

Last edited by RestLessone on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
vanillahellsing wrote:

There is such a thing as "compassion". Some people have it and do not exist as purely selfish individuals, only interested in things that directly benefit themselves.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Quote:
Wataru Yoshizumi, the manga-ka of Marmalade Boy, originally wanted to establish at the end of the series that spoiler[Yuu and Miki were, in fact, blood-related.] Her editor wisely nixed that idea.

I Love Marmalade Boy, That's all i wanted to say!!

Megsee wrote:
Quote:
I may be in the minority, but I'm one of those people who read the scans online and then buy the real thing once I can legally pay for it. GASP!

So do I!! I hardly read scans or watch them online except Crunchyroll.

Besides, there are over thousands of other titles that I am watching/reading/BUYING while waiting for the new stuff.
It's called "supporting the industry"!!!
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
nobody's really answered my question, which was, why can't people just wait a few months? none of the answers thus far have made any rational sense.

"oh, but some internet a-hole will just spoil it!" well, then, just avoid the spoiler-y terrible anime boards and start your own discussion of the volumes released in the US thus far. forums have the capability of doing that. the internet gives you the power to control the content and the tone of the conversation if you simply take hold of it.

"oh, but i do BUY the US volumes as they come out!" that's great, but that really has nothing to do with anything. you're still being unnecessarily impatient by going straight for the newest scanlations.

i don't think scanlation readers are going to wake up one day and think to themselves, "WOW! I AM BEING SORT OF IMPETUOUS ABOUT THIS AND IT'S SORT OF SILLY THAT I'M DEMANDING TO BE INSTANTLY GRATIFIED IN SUCH A MANNER, IT'S ALMOST CHILDISH," but i do honestly think that everyone would be much better off if people stopped deluding themselves. you don't wanna wait for the official releases because you don't wanna. whatever, dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
nobody's really answered my question, which was, why can't people just wait a few months? none of the answers thus far have made any rational sense.
you don't wanna wait for the official releases because you don't wanna. whatever, dude.

Making rational sense? In an anime forum?? Nah...

If identifying the problem is only the first step, we're not doing as well as I thought.
MMORPGAL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
I believe there are a few people who would happily give up reading a Manga recently translated illegally and gladly wait until it comes out with the knowledge that it will benefit the industry as a whole, but I also believe that most people that read scanlation sites don't think about the business side of things and simply want to read a story the love.

When it comes to cracking down on these sites that allow users to read there works I am worried that this may be a two sided sword. When these sites go some people as Zac mentioned in the ANNcast will be to lazy (or afraid of Legal Action) and will simply buy the manga from there local retailer, while others will simply go to a torrent site and shake there middle fingers at the Industry for wanting to get money flowing into the industry again.

When I think of this situation my mind constantly goes back to the saying that someone said, "the main reason people steal games is because they want to get it as fast as possible" (not an exact quote as he said it rather long ago), this was said in Regards to Valves Steam system which offered Video Games Downloadable over the PC. This system allowed users to get the game of there choice as soon as it became available, fostered a rather rich community of gamers, and helped revitalize a dying system.

I wish to see a world where some of the scanlation teams such as Sleepy-Fans are hired to work the latest release of Naruto put it up 2-3 days later and then make it available over a site that can give money to the creators and this in turn will inspire them to make better stories off of what people find popular.

Before I end my long rant one thing I found absolutely fascinating is how popular One Manga is as a site (looking to be sold for 8 figures according to Zac) while some Anime companies are looking at possible closure . Many of these companies need to find a way to make Manga profitable for the creators without damaging the relations of potential costumers that are so used to getting instant access to the works they love...it will certainly be a difficult needle to thread and I wish I knew how it would work out.

(I am preparing to get alot S$&% for this but I stand by what I said).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

True but you've also ignored my question. If people are buying the stuff when it does come out, who cares if they don't wait? Is it unnecessary for people to use scans like this? Yeah. But it seems equally unnecessary for people like you to have a huge shit fit because they do.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
True but you've also ignored my question. If people are buying the stuff when it does come out, who cares if they don't wait? Is it unnecessary for people to use scans like this? Yeah. But it seems equally unnecessary for people like you to have a huge shit fit because they do.

Because your question is just as obvious as his. You answered it yourself. Except the people who can't wait and read scans but buy the real stuff use the fact that they're buyers as the excuse, not that they "can't wait."

People he's talking about are the ones that "can't wait" so they read it online, then once they're satisfied move on to the next urge. It's the fact people say they "can't" because that's their only excuse when really, they simply "don't." Isn't there a Yoda quote for this out there somewhere...?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But it seems equally unnecessary for people like you to have a huge shit fit because they do.

It's really completely unnecessary for you to try and discredit someone's strong opinion by saying crap like this.

I could also come at you and say "hey ikillchicken stop losing your freaking mind and blowing up about it" and that's an easy way to make you feel like you're overreacting, even though you aren't.

You're calling a skinny girl fat, knock it off.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
But it seems equally unnecessary for people like you to have a huge shit fit because they do.

It's really completely unnecessary for you to try and discredit someone's strong opinion by saying crap like this.

Yeah, in retrospect that definitely was a needlessly inflammatory way to put it and an unfair characterization of Brian's behavior. Sorry.

I do think he's overreacting though at least in the sense that it seems like a non issue to me and he pretty clearly feels strongly about it to say the least.

silver_deeds wrote:
It's the fact people say they "can't" because that's their only excuse when really, they simply "don't."

But really, 'can't wait' isn't an excuse for not buying the thing when it does come out. If people think they can't wait then that might be a reason to pirate initially but that in no way prevents you from buying it like you should later. So really, why get drawn into this whole issue of whether or not they can wait. It's just a needless debate.

If we're able to agree that piracy isn't a problem if you just buy the thing when it comes out here, then it seems to me, in a sense, we can conclude that piracy is not a problem. People not buying stuff is the problem. So doesn't it make so much more sense to tell people they need to buys stuff instead of getting mired in the question of piracy which is not, in itself a problem?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5