• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 14-Year-Old Arrested for Leaking Manga on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muppe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
A 3rd question: why would anyone want to read manga on youtude in Japan?
Considering how little one of those magasines cost it makes me wonder.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
That's what I was thinking? What, was the kid doing some kind of manga version of Reading Rainbow?

If I'm going to steal what I read I'll just go with scans, I wouldn't even think to hop on YouTube for reading material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ac195

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:55 am Reply with quote
What a joke... arresting kids. This reminds me of when the music industry was going after kids in the US... yeah, and how did that turn out?

Seriously, what a joke... I have no idea how the Japanese legal system works but a giant corporation going after kids because they are making a couple million-less for overpriced/over-produced toilet paper... really doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by ac195 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
That's what I was thinking? What, was the kid doing some kind of manga version of Reading Rainbow?

If I'm going to steal what I read I'll just go with scans, I wouldn't even think to hop on YouTube for reading material.

Wow. And YouTube is such an obvious, high profile place- it's pretty easy to get caught if companies are paying attention, and YT is a big issue for manga/anime companies- somethings they let slide, but something like this'ld make em mad.

On one hand poor kid, on the other, 14 is high-school age, and old enough to know better. 14 year olds get arrested all the time, and go to juvie all the time for all kinds of crimes major and minor [anyone remember classmates disappearing from school for months at a time?]. If Japan's juvenile crime laws are similar to those in western nations, it might not go on his permanent record though. I suppose police can't really pick and choose who they do and don't arrest when someone committs a crime though- kids and grannies and whoever does something they shouldn't has to be treated the same under the law
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long it'll take before American police start doing this too.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take before American police start doing this too.

The FBI have been arresting people who distribute pirated materials on the internet for years, but they are usually on up the food chain of internet piracy. It's usually not big news so most people never noticed articles for it and such. Sure the cases that I am mentioning are mainly about video games and American content, but it's no different than the Japanese arresting for Japanese content. Also, let's not forget about the guy from gizmodo that got arrested for posting photographs of the iphone 4g.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
I do not understand why someone would go through all this trouble scanning a magazine or manga just to have a popular Youtube channel. Is there so much to gain from internet popularity that this kid would do this just for it? Our society is truly losing good values.

He could have easily just shared it with his friends at school and been popular that way. Just sayin'.

I think he should be arrested. Who cares how old he is? When I was 14 I was very aware of the legalities of pirating music, movies, etc., and I think this kid was too. Getting to how he should be punished is a different issue though.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
What a joke... arresting kids. This reminds me of when the music industry was going after kids in the US... yeah, and how did that turn out?

Seriously, what a joke... I have no idea how the Japanese legal system works but a giant corporation going after kids because they are making a couple million-less for overpriced/over-produced toilet paper... really doesn't sit well with me.

Its a criminal violation in Japan, so the police can move independently of what the rights owners request. They could well have been investigating something else and stumbled across this.

I have no idea what the likelihood is that a minor will do jail time for a first offense, but a suspended sentence and serious trouble if they do it again would seem to be the minimum. Plus the fury of the parental units regarding the shame he has brought on the family.

A promising start on a manga collection might be heading off to the used bookstore right about now.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
ac195 wrote:
What a joke... arresting kids.

In reading the news, this kid knew exactly what he was doing.

I feel no pity for him. Enjoy those wrist bracelets and showers, kid.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
I never understood why people post manga scans on Youtube.

Same here. :/ Youtube's quality is usually quite horrible anyway.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
alp227 wrote:
He might never get a good job or be accepted to college if sentenced hard.

1) At fourteen, I doubt he will be "sentenced hard."
2) This is why you will never hear his name mentioned in the media. He'll always be A-ko. They do protect kids AMAP.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:55 am Reply with quote
derpMonster wrote:
this is too extreme. japan has a very high conviction rate. and the law won't just let the kid go with a slap on the wrist. his entire future is kinda ruined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan Remember that JAXA train groping accused guy who committed suicide?

copyright infringement is serious but when you compare it to crimes like murder, rape, terrorism or drug possesion/distribution - it is not that serious.

Yeah not only that. Manga get scanlated a lot as a matter of fact and it's hurting the manga business badly. So I guess that's why Japan take scanlation very seriously in their country. So I guess they want to spread a message to people who scanlate manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
derpMonster wrote:
this is too extreme. japan has a very high conviction rate. and the law won't just let the kid go with a slap on the wrist. his entire future is kinda ruined: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_justice_system_of_Japan Remember that JAXA train groping accused guy who committed suicide?

copyright infringement is serious but when you compare it to crimes like murder, rape, terrorism or drug possesion/distribution - it is not that serious.

It's not as serious as crimes like murder, rape and terrorism so it carries a lighter sentence.

Like someone else said, nothing else has worked. Slapping people on the wrist has only resulted in people rubbing their wrists while breaking the law. Maybe the risk of jail time and a ruined future will make people stop breaking the law.

*drug possession/distribution is a negligible crime imo. There is no victim, just willing participants where everyone involved gets exactly what they want and any injury is self-injury*
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
*drug possession/distribution is a negligible crime imo. There is no victim, just willing participants where everyone involved gets exactly what they want and any injury is self-injury*

Go watch The Wire and then tell me if you still think like that...

Anyway, I think we're all reacting a lot to the age issue here. I'd assume that Japan does what the rest of the free world does and tries children and adults separately? In which case, try him as a kid. Yes, he knew what he was doing, but he's hardly beyond reform at that age. Why don't you make him intern as a mangaka's assistant, let him see how much work they do for so little pay and guilt-trip him into not siphoning off their meager profits.
Manic_Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Why don't you make him intern as a mangaka's assistant, let him see how much work they do for so little pay and guilt-trip him into not siphoning off their meager profits.

That sounds like both a great punishment for the kid and the best plot to a manga ever.

Last edited by Manic_Monkey on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6