• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming - When They Cry 1-26 dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
well the whole 7th expansion franchise is really never complete AFAIK You've got Higurashi Rei after Kai, then rewinding back and branching off you've got Umineko and that whole universe is still ongoing if I'm not mistaken

It's still going pretty strong in Japan, I was there last fall and they had Higurashi stuff everywhere.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3388/p1000428s.jpg

I would hope we see Kei eventually, the first series caught me completely off guard and loved it a lot. I would even go so far to say I would even be up for a sub only release if Funimation did not think it would sell well enough (or did not want to take the risk). I like dubs and primarily watch dubs but I would totally back a sub only release if it meant we got a US release. That and I really did not think the original dub was all that good, it's fine when the characters are just talking but when sh*t goes down the intensity level just isn't there compared to the Japanese.

Either way I hope this does well and hope it exposes more people to the franchise so we can perhaps get that second season Very Happy
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
hmm...I didn't like the show subbed. I guess I'll probably give the dub a few episodes, but I'm not holding my breath. Probably won't like it again.
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:

Plus, for all that is holy, READ Umineko. Take the plunge into VNs. The adaptation was awful. The only good things I can say about it are that the opening is good, and that Jessica's voice actor can really scream (in a good way). They took out a whole lot of awesome moments and a lot of details that help you understand the world. DEEEEEEEEEEN!

Ugh, this! Higurashi's anime adaptation was decent enough and the OVAs were able to fit in the extra bits, but Umineko's compression turned out really bad. Unless anyone's in for a good laugh over all the trolling and OH DESIRE I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The VN does a much better job of explaining the story and getting everything down.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
KEIICHI, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

That line from Episode 26 basically sums the dub up in one line. Rolling Eyes

It's free though, and Higurashi really is an excellent series. It's just a pity that Kai is unlicensed, since the first season makes no sense without it.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Seljuk wrote:

Plus, for all that is holy, READ Umineko. Take the plunge into VNs. The adaptation was awful. The only good things I can say about it are that the opening is good, and that Jessica's voice actor can really scream (in a good way). They took out a whole lot of awesome moments and a lot of details that help you understand the world. DEEEEEEEEEEN!

Ugh, this! Higurashi's anime adaptation was decent enough and the OVAs were able to fit in the extra bits, but Umineko's compression turned out really bad. Unless anyone's in for a good laugh over all the trolling and OH DESIRE I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The VN does a much better job of explaining the story and getting everything down.

You forgot how half the fan base wants to believe the anime doesn't exist.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Koji98 wrote:
Umineko is its own complete story and is not connected to Higurashi. Heck, spoiler[Lambdadelta was playing Higurashi at one point in the sound novels.]
So after the last OVAs, the Higurashi story is complete, and even then the OVAs were mostly filler and added nothing to the story. Is was pretty much fanservice.

Umineko is it's own complete story, but it *is* attached to Higurashi. The example you pointed out is one of the anachronistic shout-outs dropped into the narrative. Furthermore, spoiler[think about what other names Lambadelta and Fredrica went by and that scene becomes one big injoke for the fans.]. Pretty sure that got elaborated on in the middle arc of Rei, but it's not like it was critical to Higurashi's plot -- or Umineko's either.

And the best parts of the Umineko anime were the next episode previews. Kumasawa. Oppai pudding. Enough said.[/spoiler]
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The dub ruined a classic moment of the series. The powerful USO DA turned into a wimpy, nasally, "LIAR!" Boooooooooo.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think the dub and sub are about even, but I generally watch the dub because sub Keiichi's voice can get on my nerves sometimes.

Anyway, this is one of my favorite shows I've seen this year, and within the year alone I've already bought the Season 1 boxset, all the manga out so far, a Rika PVC figure, 5 trading figures of Rika/Rena/Hanyuu/Satoko/Shion, and a poster. Yeah, I really got into this one. Anime smile + sweatdrop I really hope Season 2 will get licensed someday (and while I'd prefer bilingual, a sub-only release is definitely acceptable), and I'm hoping I can find some more Higurashi/When They Cry goodies at Ikasucon next month.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Seljuk wrote:

It's not just a matter of the original games being better. I've never played them, and Umineko was horribly disappointing. The first season of Higurashi was so engrossing because the supernatural element was so ambiguous, while Umineko just got increasingly batshit crazy and inundated with more and more characters in each arc, with nowhere near enough development for any of them.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand why people dislike this dub, I watched first season dub, second sub and I thought they were equally good. I just bought the first season DVD set actually, I really wish someone would license the second season, I don't even care if it's Sentai and they do it sub only, I'll still buy it.

I still have the When They Cry wallpaper up for my account here Razz
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
It's not just a matter of the original games being better. I've never played them, and Umineko was horribly disappointing. The first season of Higurashi was so engrossing because the supernatural element was so ambiguous, while Umineko just got increasingly batshit crazy and inundated with more and more characters in each arc, with nowhere near enough development for any of them.

The visual novel actually isn't much better on this front either. It's true that the visual novel definitely gives more depth to the characters and is a bit easier to understand, but that which disappointed you about Umineko is pretty much the same in both formats of the series.
I'd say that Umineko probably just isn't suited to you, or you possibly missed the point of the series.

Either way, I firmly believe that a large portion of the Umineko fanbase greatly demonizes the anime adaption way more than they should. I think they just have issues with idolizing the visual novel too much, as it's the medium to the series with more detail.

I personally love all of Umineko, anime and visual novel alike. I just seriously wish some people would calm down and enjoy what they get...

I feel the same way in regards to Higurashi's english dub, except it's more of a dub vs sub issue. Pretty much, I enjoy the dub and sub alike for Higurashi, and I'm getting tired of seeing every other comment about the dub on the internet bashing it... I honestly just wish the fanbase for these titles would just calm down and be happy with what they have... feel happy that they have a fairly decent Umineko anime... and be happy that they have a Higurashi dub in a time where many series don't get a dub at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2