• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Vowlesemort Lives!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
In the podcast I heard a lot between the lines that indicated you got chewed out by someone at AX about your rant Zac. It is unfortunate and I know you are honest about your feelings about AX not becoming a strictly business run, corporate greed entity, but I think that's partly what AX is meant to be. Whoever it was from SPJA that responded to your comments, I have a great deal of respect for him or her for standing up for their convention and what it represents.

AX represents the premiere event in North America for the anime industry to showcase all that is great and wonderful about anime and manga. I'd expect it to present a good deal of professionalism and not just be a super-sized version of your typical fan-run event. Sure it's staffed by fans and they put their enthusiasm for the medium in their work to make AX the best it can be, but you have the expectations from all the Japanese guests and professionals that primarily see anime as a business and take it very seriously. They come here with the expectation that we do too and in order to have that presentation there must the business equation involved.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
In the podcast I heard a lot between the lines that indicated you got chewed out by someone at AX about your rant Zac. It is unfortunate and I know you are honest about your feelings about AX not becoming a strictly business run, corporate greed entity, but I think that's partly what AX is meant to be. Whoever it was from SPJA that responded to your comments, I have a great deal of respect for him or her for standing up for their convention and what it represents.

AX represents the premiere event in North America for the anime industry to showcase all that is great and wonderful about anime and manga. I'd expect it to present a good deal of professionalism and not just be a super-sized version of your typical fan-run event. Sure it's staffed by fans and they put their enthusiasm for the medium in their work to make AX the best it can be, but you have the expectations from all the Japanese guests and professionals that primarily see anime as a business and take it very seriously. They come here with the expectation that we do too and in order to have that presentation there must the business equation involved.

Nobody from Anime Expo "chewed me out". If they had, that would be incredibly inappropriate; if you don't like what the press is saying about your event, it's your prerogative to explain your side, but yelling at journalists (or in this case, podcast hosts) would be wildly unprofessional. It is absolutely not their place to "scold" anyone for having a strong opinion about what they're doing publicly.

Make no mistake, it is part of my job to be honest about how I feel. It's not my duty to coddle anyone or carry along anyone's corporate message, or behave like I'm part of a corporate event's PR division. The SPJA understands that, and the conversations I had with them were actually quite pleasant in the wake of my previous comments.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks for responding, Zac. It seems if you express your views on a podcast and come back next episode with less bold statements, but maybe more concise ones, someone must have responded that prompted you to do so. Otherwise there would have been no reason to revisit the issue in your next podcast. You should stand by what you say, and you do, but to just decide to rephrase things runs the risk of sounding flighty and un-confident.

I plan to attend your ANNcast at Expo so if you'd like to talk about more later afterwards I'd be glad to.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ok thanks for responding, Zac. It seems if you express your views on a podcast and come back next episode with less bold statements, but maybe more concise ones, someone must have responded that prompted you to do so. Otherwise there would have been no reason to revisit the issue in your next podcast. You should stand by what you say, and you do, but to just decide to rephrase things runs the risk of sounding flighty and un-confident.

I plan to attend your ANNcast at Expo so if you'd like to talk about more later afterwards I'd be glad to.

Uh.. thanks for the tip, I guess, but you're overthinking this. I wanted to clarify my position and so I did. The end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7