• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Bunch, Comic Yuri Hime S Mags to End Publication

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

(There is now officially only one (1) yuri magazine, and its bimonthly.

Uhhh, actually there's a few more like:

Houbunsha's Tsubomi
Rice River Comics' Comic Lily
Freakin' Shinshokan's Hirari

Granted they're all quarterly, but they do exist. And not to mention there are a couple yuri titles scattered in other magazines that are not predominately yuri so I would say the genre is still growing in the manga world. It's quite fascinating how yuri can be aimed for both genders though the "degree of yuri" tends to get utterly blurred with the whole Class S thing.

And no, none of the serialized titles from Yuri Hime S are licensed. Hell we only have TWO freakin' series from Yuri Hime licensed, but supposedly First Love Sister somehow got caught in some licensing issues, and Voiceful is rather.....uhhh far too coy in the yuri department for my taste.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It's quite fascinating how yuri can be aimed for both genders though the "degree of yuri" tends to get utterly blurred with the whole Class S thing.

Honestly, I think the male fans aren't nearly as supportive, which may be indicative of why this magazine didn't make it. I may be talking out of my ass here, but I think it's how this entire Moe thing has infected shounen romance, not that it didn't exist to some level before, it's just it became even more exaggerated. The female characters are basically only there to serve the male viewer/reader, so obviously hooking them up with girls is out of the question. And there are other situations like if some Moe tart kissed another character before marriage, it would cause the male otaku segments of the internet to ignite on fire.

Not that there aren't more reasonable male fans that support some of it, and there are more yuri based stuff at least on tv compared to a few years ago, but the entire shounen romance genre seems to be centered around either that or some kind of nerd wish fufillment via a heterosexual harem and other really obnoxious tropes. I think the best thing may be to side-step the genre a bit for a while, and feature yuri predominately in scifi and fatasy type anime to aim it at different kinds of fans who aren't so assinine. The entire school romance aesthetic I think is extremely tired anyways, so that may be better than recycling the same old cliches assoisationed with "Class S" type stories anyways.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
... That said... has anything that ran in Yuri Hime S been licensed? If not, how would non-Japanese even know about it save through scanlations? It's a little unreasonable to expect everyone to 1) buy things they've never even heard of and 2) learn an entire language just to read what they bought.

I only know about it from the reviews at Okazu, and the merger of the two and elimination of the "Yuri for Girls" and "Yuri for Boys" fence, when many Yuri fans were buying both in any event, and accelerating from quarterly each to bimonthly for the merged title seems a good move.
Olivine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Uhhh, actually there's a few more like:
Houbunsha's Tsubomi
Rice River Comics' Comic Lily
Freakin' Shinshokan's Hirari

Oh wow, I didn't even know about these! Hirari looked a little too shojo-ish for my taste, but I just ordered vol 1 of Comic Lily and Tsubomi (Along with the last issue of Yuri Hime S :(... and Comic High for good measure :D ) Thanks for pointing those out!

agila61 wrote:
I only know about it from the reviews at Okazu, and the merger of the two and elimination of the "Yuri for Girls" and "Yuri for Boys" fence, when many Yuri fans were buying both in any event, and accelerating from quarterly each to bimonthly for the merged title seems a good move.

Erica Friedman's review pretty much shows how different the tastes of the Male Yuri audience and the Female Yuri audience are. They want completely different things. The split is just as big as the split between shounen/seinen and shojo.
She liked a story about two adult lesbians going about their daily lives(Fu-Fu), and I liked a story about a girl who is forced to commit murders to buy more time to live, so she can stay with the girl she loves (Mugen no Minamo Ni). Mugen no Minamo Ni's chapter has lolish fanservicey/sensual/nudityish moments, moe all over the place, adorable love story, and good ol' violence. Fu-Fu's chapter had...two adults shopping for a bed (I don't know why this story was even in the male audience's magazine!). HUGE difference in reader preferences. Mixing the two will go about as well as mixing shonen and shojo magazines. There will be some good stories, but mostly both audiences are going to only be half served, and the stories won't appeal well to anyone. Mixing them both was a bad idea, imo. Its just going to end up watering down the stuff for males, more than likely.

From Erica Friedman's YHS review wrote:
This story is about the little moments of domestic bliss that are the majority of time spent in a marriage. On 2chan, the response was, "why should I care?" and a lot of derision about lesbians and why they don't want lesbians in their Yuri.

Can someone explain this quote to me? How could someone be a fan of yuri but not want actual girl/girl relationships in the story? I know there's the whole "Class S" thing that apparently goes on, but its still lesbianism, if only temporary. Why would yuri fans say that they don't want lesbians in their yuri? That's like going to the ocean and being like "WTF I hate water." Maybe it was just immature brats being obnoxious because the story bored them to death? That's the only way it makes sense to me.

J-Styxx wrote:
The female characters are basically only there to serve the male viewer/reader, so obviously hooking them up with girls is out of the question. And there are other situations like if some Moe tart kissed another character before marriage, it would cause the male otaku segments of the internet to ignite on fire....the entire shounen romance genre seems to be centered around either that or some kind of nerd wish fufillment via a heterosexual harem and other really obnoxious tropes.

This is more the problem, imo. Male otaku don't want their 2D waifu's being deflowered onscreen. And if the girl's aren't sexually interested in men, how will the male otaku pretend to sex them with their hug pillows?!?!
Well, I guess you could buy two. And then, like, push them into each other...? Or buy one hug pillowcase and a cosplay outfit of the other girl?? Hmm....
I'm a genius!!!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is more the problem, imo. Male otaku don't want their 2D waifu's being deflowered onscreen. And if the girl's aren't sexually interested in men, how will the male otaku pretend to sex them with their hug pillows?!?!
Well, I guess you could buy two. And then, like, push them into each other...? Or buy one hug pillowcase and a cosplay outfit of the other girl?? Hmm....

Well you're not thinking chauvinistically self-centered enough. They want the moe girls to be saved for them. Yes, the viewer. If an animated girl isn't a virgin when they pretend to deflower her during their self-service sessions, than she's "ruined." Certain segments of the male population over their in Japan are stuck in the ancient "sex is for men, not for women" mode of thinking. It's not going to matter to them if they're experienced or not or even enjoy it. This is why rape fantasies are so big over there.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

Otaku don't give a crap about that, they'd complain more if it happened offscreen. Seriously think what you're saying and then look at the entire H-anime industry.
Disinterest in men would be more serious, why would you want a waifu who can't love you back?

Quote:
I'm a genius!!!

OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!
I now have the image of a dude kigurumi in bed w/ dakimakura. Not doing anything mind; the image is already absolutely terifying.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Ahab wrote:
I couldn't give a shit about the Yuri magazine being canceled but Weekly Comic Bunch being dropped is a big piece of shit news.

My sentiments exactly.
Somebody's bound to pick up Souten no Ken and Angel Haert... right?
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
From Erica Friedman's YHS review wrote:
This story is about the little moments of domestic bliss that are the majority of time spent in a marriage. On 2chan, the response was, "why should I care?" and a lot of derision about lesbians and why they don't want lesbians in their Yuri.

Can someone explain this quote to me? How could someone be a fan of yuri but not want actual girl/girl relationships in the story?

I have no idea, but some appear to be adamant about it. It seems like de Nile aint just a river in Egypt. Seems like they want it always floating in that akogare space.

And what some have said about wanting it to be "practice romance" wit the watching LFB's fantasizing about being the star of the "real thing" probably has a lot to do with it.
Olivine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Ahab wrote:
I couldn't give a shit about the Yuri magazine being canceled but Weekly Comic Bunch being dropped is a big piece of shit news.
My sentiments exactly.
*cocks shotgun*
Beautiful weather we're having today...
*rocks back and forth in his wooden rocker chair*
J-Syxx wrote:
Certain segments of the male population over their in Japan are stuck in the ancient "sex is for men, not for women" mode of thinking. It's not going to matter to them if they're experienced or not or even enjoy it. This is why rape fantasies are so big over there.

I wouldn't go that far. Its more that the girl seems to enjoy EVERYTHING. Even when the girl characters are getting raped they eventually seem to start enjoying it. Hell, they even seem to get pleasure from being covered in sem-
...I mean, I've never played any of those crazy H visual novel things.
>.>
<.<
But yeah, japanese men have weird fetishes...concerning sem- i mean..its..um...where was I?
Oh, right! Stay out of my booze.
*Has horrid flashbacks about giant white blob monsters consuming self*

Reaper gI wrote:
Otaku don't give a crap about that, they'd complain more if it happened offscreen. Seriously think what you're saying and then look at the entire H-anime industry.

It seems like any time there's sexy time with the "waifu" happening in otaku's H stuff, it always involves the viewer's personal avatar character (The one that practically has a sign floating over his head stating, "You are here"). Alot of the time its also in first person (although maybe thats just visual novels). I never see the potential waifu girls in any sort of intimate relationship with anyone else than the avatar character. All the H stuff is just like, "Sex Simulator for you and your 2d Waifu!©" type business. Its never any love story between two (or more?!) non-avatar characters.

Reaper gl wrote:
Disinterest in men would be more serious, why would you want a waifu who can't love you back?

You got me there. I guess I don't understand the whole "waifu" thing in the first place. Most of the girls in these stories wouldn't even want anything to do with most of the guys that play these games anyway. It would be like:

Waifu: "Wh...why is there a hug pillow of me on your bed...and a picture of me in the shower...and why are these two pages in my official artbook stuck together???"
Otaku:"I wanted to pleasure you by covering you in sem-"
Waifu:"KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" *groin smash*

Its like they completely ignore the characters desires/personality, ignore how the character would feel in the situation, and just lolrape them. They don't love their waifus. :(

Wow I write too much. Have to make 2 posts.
Olivine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
OH DEAR GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!
I now have the image of a dude kigurumi in bed w/ dakimakura. Not doing anything mind; the image is already absolutely terifying.

I JUST had another possible idea! Two otaku dudes become kigurumi of yuri couple, then initiate pretend sex. Perfect!

agila61 wrote:
And what some have said about wanting it to be "practice romance" wit the watching LFB's fantasizing about being the star of the "real thing" probably has a lot to do with it.

Gah. People apparently can't enjoy anything unless they, or a character that looks just like them, is the star of the show. Not even something as super mega unholy illegal in 48 states on sundays awesome as yuri. Either I have superhuman imaginative powers compared to most people, or I just have a massive obsession/fetish for love between girls.

Actually the latter is very likely. >.>

TL;DR edition: Yuri r betar then ever thing else and straight pronz has white blob monsters that give you nightmares. Also, yuri waifus for mens = division by 0.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Gah. People apparently can't enjoy anything unless they, or a character that looks just like them, is the star of the show.

Not "people". "Some people". Like the particular people Erica was reporting back on chatting with on 2chan, where some speculate that they they like yuri because in their head, they add a sequel to every yuri series where they personally are the star.

I like Fumi and Akira and friends in Aoi Hana, Sumika and Ushio and friends in Sasameki Koto, and all the Roses at Lillian, and Camera-chan too, partly because none of them look anything like me. I sometimes get tired of being hit over the head, "cheer for this character, he is your surrogate".

But it would be nice if sometimes the yuri was a starship captain and the sergeant of her space marines troop as they went gallivanting off on adventures across time and space.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
At least there's the Sono Hanabira series franchise that proves yuri aimed for guys is not a total lost cause especially with the upcoming yuri hentai OVA coming soon (and even THOSE are ridiculously rare as hell).
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

I JUST had another possible idea! Two otaku dudes become kigurumi of yuri couple, then initiate pretend sex. Perfect!

I just wanted to say, I came here feeling sad about Comic Bunch dying, and now I've realized this is the greatest thread EVER!! Smile
Jonathan Tarbox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
It's sad to see Comic Bunch go the way of the Buffalo. These are the people that brought us "Fist of the North Star," "Cat's Eye" and "City Hunter." They're also the ones who created the gloriously doomed RAIJIN COMICS.
I think we're seeing the tipping point where Japanese publishers are going to start moving to digital delivery without print. The people at Coamix (Bunch's publisher) already have a download site working. However superior printed pages may be, they are too expensive to produce versus digital.
Guess I need to go buy an iPad to get my comics.
yuricon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Well this is certainly sucky news. I honestly don't know much about this magazine though. I do now the "S" genre in yuri is really tired and sorta homophobic to me on certain levles (it goes along with the myth that lesibanism is a "phase" that ends in heterosexual marriage). I kinda hope it would die off. However, maybe that was just a title for the magazine. LOL. Hopefully, these manga runs can be finished up some how.

Yuri Hime and Yuri Hime S are consolidating into one magazine that will be released 6 times a year, rather than 2 magazines released 4 times a year. Yuri Hime S is not "ending," it's being folded into Yuri Hime. The content will still exist, the stories will continue. It's all going to be *called* Yuri Hime.

It's a good thing for the company (they are going to 6 volumes from 8) and a good thing for the consumers (also buying 6 rather than 8.) With the double content I think the issues will be quite large - both magazines were well over 400 pages - and they'll be able to have a steady stream of content that comes out faster.

Personally, I felt that the 'for men" / "for women" focus of the two magazines was becoming problematic. In a perfect world it would be "for Yuri fans." Nonetheless I'm wondering, between the Yuri Hime trend towards more stories about adult women and the Yuri Hime S trend towards moe, which might end up taking the bigger hit. ( I'm all for more Fufu and less Yuru Yuri, myself. Smile

Cheers,

Erica
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3