• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai! eps 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you judge a character by their first appearance and then stubbornly refuse to reexamine them as the story is told, you just might end up thinking things like that.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yeah, if you judge a character by their first appearance and then stubbornly refuse to reexamine them as the story is told, you just might end up thinking things like that.

You seem to infer a lot from what people say, and I'm not convinced it's always fully substantiated.

I didn't judge Dekomori on her first appearance. I'm an optimistic if not ultimately positive person, I try to like things and criticise them when I don't. She actually bugged me less when she first turned up. I admit "lack of characterisation" was a bad choice of words. I wasn't impressed with the development she got in this episode (and on a personal note she continued to annoy me as she always has).

I might be stubborn on the issue if I disliked the whole show, but with something I both like and think is good I'm more than willing to try and reconsider my opinion. In the end, it turns out that I still don't like Sanae Dekomori.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I think what bugs me, drawing parallels to K-On! as Theron did in the review, is when characters are basically as stupid as possible for the purpose of being cute. RIkka annoys me, but she's quite well-written and has a wounded, desperate quality, as well as being more indulgent and silly in her fantasies; whereas Dekomori seems relentlessly, proudly idiotic. The main cast of K-On! minus Azusa would be in the latter category.
Anyway, with regards to the review I grudgingly agree: it's a very well-done show.

You have just described my main problem with a low of current shows and specially the ones done by Kyoani that adapt Key's works (yes, this is not one of those adaptations but it still has that going for it, Hyoka didn't luckily). On the other hand, your comment seems grounded on reality and the premise interests me so maybe I'll give it a try (but only after skipping the annoying-to-no-end opening theme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4