Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comic Bunch, Comic Yuri Hime S Mags to End Publication


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
J-Syxx



Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Posts: 1405

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly sucky news. I honestly don't know much about this magazine though. I do now the "S" genre in yuri is really tired and sorta homophobic to me on certain levles (it goes along with the myth that lesibanism is a "phase" that ends in heterosexual marriage). I kinda hope it would die off. However, maybe that was just a title for the magazine. LOL. Hopefully, these manga runs can be finished up some how.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 12546

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
That's a bitch for Bunch. I hope Hojo and Hara are gonna continue to be involved with the new mag, though.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reaper gI



Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 299
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Well this is certainly sucky news. I honestly don't know much about this magazine though. I do now the "S" genre in yuri is really tired and sorta homophobic to me on certain levles (it goes along with the myth that lesibanism is a "phase" that ends in heterosexual marriage). I kinda hope it would die off. However, maybe that was just a title for the magazine. LOL. Hopefully, these manga runs can be finished up some how.

Yurihime S is (was) the seinen one, Yurihime is the shoujo.
That belief seems regretably common in anime and manga. Although it comes accross, to me, as: we don't care what sexuality you have so long as you get married(even if that's a total sham) and have kids.
Yuri where they don't "grow out of it" is a newer thing, and thankfuly the one that's growing.
Looks like they tied up a fair No. of things in S and (I assume) will run the others in the new combined version.
Here's to more freequent yuri/shoujo-ai (of the type not discussed above)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07



Joined: 15 Oct 2003
Posts: 3797

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Bi-monthly chapter releases for Yuri Hime will lead to faster volume releases and hopefully leads to longer series lasting more than 3 volumes (seriously, I've noticed a lot of series ending at the very most 3 volumes). Though I have to say most of the plots found in Yuri Hime S tend to be a mixture of cutesy moe antics with schoolgirl crushes that may or may not go anywhere. It has gotten a bit better with some pretty interesting series lately (unlike say that other magazine Tsubomi).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Olivine



Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Sol 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another Japanese publisher, Ichijinsha, is ending its quarterly publication of Comic Yuri Hime S magazine in the next issue, Vol. 14, on September 18.

And I JUST got the June issue today, enjoyed the hell out of it, then looked on this website to learn this sh!t. FFS.
WHAT
THE
F#$K???????
Goddam Japanese otaku for not liking anything that doesn't have particleboardman as the lead character, not liking any kind of sensuality, unless that sensuality involves some girl covered in semen, and being deathly afraid of yuri in general. Goddam Amercian tards for never buying anything (oh i nut understund squiggels! I'll red phanstub! Buying from siet dat all in engish still 2 hard! Saport creador? Dey ritsh anyway lolz!)
Goddammit! The ONE magazine that actually had yuri stories without crossdressing she-men running around, and now its getting tossed in with the regular yuri hime, and is sure to become infected with she-men. I was JUST getting excited about one of the new series, Mugen no Minamo Ni. And now, its probably not going to have much of a run at all. Honey Crush and Futari to Futari also ending?! FFS! WTF are you doing, Japan? Seriously?! Of course, trash like Kissxsis sells billions of copies, but does anyone support something like Yuri Hime S? No! WTF?! Go to hell, Japanese otaku. FFS.

You know what? Just watch this video. It expresses my feelings perfectly.
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​ZWphqA1Slrw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7670

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
You know what? Just watch this video. It expresses my feelings perfectly.
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​ZWphqA1Slrw

You're not gonna blow us up next with an Omega bomb, are you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Olivine



Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Sol 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Olivine wrote:
You know what? Just watch this video. It expresses my feelings perfectly.
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​ZWphqA1Slrw

You're not gonna blow us up next with an Omega bomb, are you?

Unfortunately, I don't have an Omega bomb. Very unfortunately. Although, if you think I'm mad about this, think how mad Erica Friedman is going to be. Oh wait! Look! A live feed from her glasses cam that I just found on the internet!
edit :(bad joke lol, took it out)

And here's a cam of what I'm currently doing.
http://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​IvTfbQRnA8s
Actually, I think thats what's happening at Ichijinsha.


Last edited by Olivine on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasciel



Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Goddam Amercian tards for never buying anything (oh i nut understund squiggels! I'll red phanstub! Buying from siet dat all in engish still 2 hard! Saport creador? Dey ritsh anyway lolz!)


Kind of rich coming from someone that kept promoting a site that was all in Japanese as a source for inexpensive Japanese-language manga. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Olivine



Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Sol 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Lasciel wrote:
Kind of rich coming from someone that kept promoting a site that was all in Japanese as a source for inexpensive Japanese-language manga. Rolling Eyes

Yeesh. Here.
https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/​ohb/​02/​contents/​eb04.​html
Not that you were going to buy anything anyway. And I'll be sure to read your post history and make a snappy comment when something you like goes under.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3315
Location: Back stateside

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Olivine: I'm very sorry that your favorite magazine is going away. That always sucks, when things get canceled. I can totally understand why you're pissed.

That said... has anything that ran in Yuri Hime S been licensed? If not, how would non-Japanese even know about it save through scanlations? It's a little unreasonable to expect everyone to 1) buy things they've never even heard of and 2) learn an entire language just to read what they bought.

Honestly, I don't understand the wrath at foreign fans. How did they really hurt these magazines? The number of fans who read any of these series online is negligible relative to the numbers of sales in Japan, since yuri is still too niche. Even if all of us imported weekly issues we couldn't read, it wouldn't necessarily have saved this magazine. This was a massive decline in sales in Japan. Focus the rage a little.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI



Joined: 05 Oct 2009
Posts: 299
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:
Lasciel wrote:
Kind of rich coming from someone that kept promoting a site that was all in Japanese as a source for inexpensive Japanese-language manga. Rolling Eyes

Yeesh. Here.
https://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/​ohb/​02/​contents/​eb04.​html
Not that you were going to buy anything anyway. And I'll be sure to read your post history and make a snappy comment when something you like goes under.

Yup mostly japanese only, usable just about in English. Only serves the US tho'.
Which means I still have to use Amazon, with their not exactly small shipping prices. Or special order things from one of the local Japanese bookshops (and not many people have them).

If they're simply merging the two, which is what it looks like, not too much should be lost. You'll just end up with a few stories you'll want to skip and an extra 2 volumes a year to buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Olivine



Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Sol 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
That said... has anything that ran in Yuri Hime S been licensed? If not, how would non-Japanese even know about it save through scanlations? It's a little unreasonable to expect everyone to 1) buy things they've never even heard of and 2) learn an entire language just to read what they bought.

Honestly, I don't understand the wrath at foreign fans. How did they really hurt these magazines? The number of fans who read any of these series online is negligible relative to the numbers of sales in Japan, since yuri is still too niche. Even if all of us imported weekly issues we couldn't read, it wouldn't necessarily have saved this magazine. This was a massive decline in sales in Japan. Focus the rage a little.

I guess I can't expect everyone to try learning the language. But people should at least be supporting their favorite series they are reading through scanlations. Especially the more niche stuff. Naruto and the whole "annoying little billy saves the world" genre isn't going to implode if overseas fans don't buy it. It will be fine even if it isn't licensed. That whole genre is just hideously popular. Its not going to implode upon itself like yuri just did. (There is now officially only one (1) yuri magazine, and its bimonthly. Yuri needs HELP. Yuri for males even more so.)

If scanlation readers like something, they should buy it, if only to vote with their wallet. And no, nothing was licensed yet. It didn't last long enough. ALC publishing might have picked something up eventually, though.
I
I'm still sort of hopeful though. if Ichijinsha actually puts male-targeted yuri in the new "mixed" magazine, stuff will come out every 2 months instead of every 3 months. Plus, I didn't read anything about Mugen no Minamo Ni ending, so hopefully its continuing in the new magazine. But if Ichijinsha later just decides to cater to the female yuri audience (which is very likely, considering they are the bigger audience), Mugen no Minamo Ni and all the other male stuff is out the door. Then I'm a sad panda.

I'm more pissed at the Japanese male audience than anything. They are what drives the industry to keep creating more of the whole particleboard main character / ridiculously detailed panty shot / half-assed plot formula stories. They are who can't enjoy anything unless doesn't contain some loser male main character that is sexually aroused and embarassed half the time, and doing all he can to not contribute to the plot the other half. They are what get stuff like KissxSis animated.

And I'm not against fanservice at all. Futari to Futari (and the one-shots that the same artist did before it) were downright dirty sometimes. Mugen no Minamo Ni supplies the loli fanservice. Them and several others have actual sexual things happening, and its ON PANEL (unlike 99% of the ecchi garbage otaku clamor for.) But none of these stories will ever get animated. Why? Because japanese otaku don't actually want sex/relationships happening in their stories. They just want to see some horny guy fail all over themselves, and see girls find more and more ridiculous ways to show off their crotch. It just pains me to know that things like Mugen no Minamo Ni are being turned down in favor of things like KissxSis. Seriously. I cannot think of any sane reason why they have such a preference unless they are either all unconciously homosexual (nothing wrong with that) or raging homophobes. Just. What. The. F#42?


Last edited by Olivine on Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Olivine



Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 197
Location: Sol 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Yup mostly japanese only, usable just about in English. Only serves the US tho'.
Which means I still have to use Amazon, with their not exactly small shipping prices. Or special order things from one of the local Japanese bookshops (and not many people have them).

I guess I should give out more help than just a link.
-Download firefox and then install rikaichan (don't really have to know japanese at all then) Its how I read things when I barely knew any japanese at first.
https://addons.mozilla.org/​en-​US/​firefox/​addon/​2471/​
-Use wikipedia to find out the japanese script name of what you want to buy, and paste it into kinokuniya/wherever's search bar.
-Use kinokuniya if you aren't comfortable with using your credit/check/debit card at a site with a japanese interface, bk1.jp if you are more brave (or can't order from kinokuniya), clubjapan.jp if you can't find it anywhere else. Although, with rikaichan, bk1.jp is super easy to order from, anyway.

Reaper gI wrote:
If they're simply merging the two, which is what it looks like, not too much should be lost. You'll just end up with a few stories you'll want to skip and an extra 2 volumes a year to buy.

Already lost Honey Crush and Futari to Futari. Either the new Yuri Hime is going to become HUGE or series from one of the old Yuri Hime are going to be dumped. I hope it just gets to be a huge magazine. But if Mugen no Minamo Ni gets dumped, I'll freak. I guess I won't know until Ichijinsha puts the contents list on their website. :[
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ahab



Joined: 20 Mar 2010
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
I couldn't give a shit about the Yuri magazine being canceled but Weekly Comic Bunch being dropped is a big piece of shit news.

I have lovingly bought Comic Bunch every week and have enjoyed reading Souten no Ken and all the other Hokuto no Ken Gaidens that have been published throughout the years.

What I wanna know is what will happen to the manga's that are currently nowhere near completion? Will the less popular ones just be dropped? I am currently reading SNK, Angel Heart, Hokuto no Ken: Juuza Gaiden and Tenshou no Ryoma. Please don't tell me they will all scatter to different magazines or be dropped Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10484

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 am Reply with quote
See, this is what happens when not enough people buy. If only scanlators can get people to buy a copy of the Japanese comics too. Now nobody will see how some series conclude. C'est la vie. Surprised
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group