• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Det. Conan Anime Cited in Korean Teen Killing's Aftermath

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
This is yet another reason why manga is evil, like rap.
Good job, Metro, for exposing the evils in society.
That's phat and stoopid. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:52 am Reply with quote
I guess this link is fitting now.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
Definitely has to be the manga, since the anime never had a story that involved draining blood. I think this is one reason why the anime version has been toned down with the violent content. It gives people ideas, although the same could be said for other crime shows.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess this link is fitting now.

Wow. I don't know that "fitting" is the right word, but when would you get any opportunity to share it, otherwise? Thanks for a most excellent read.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
Did anyone else read that British article? Wow... I am speechless. Not much different from public hysteria "Equality Now" is trying to push.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will affect the anime or manga going on hiatus or something. I read the Japanese media really hates being associated with bad publicity like this.

On one hand, Detective Conan was associated with her disposal, not her actual murder.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
That British paper is just pissed they didn't take example from those wholesome British murder mysteries with all the creative methods of killing, making the body disappear and scapegoating.
The Mask

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of Detective Conan, it's really disappointing that the series got dragged into this case. But what's more disappointing is that Metro turned it into a "'manga' killing" when manga only came to the spotlight with regards to disposing the already-dead body and had no connection to the actual murder.

On a more important note, I offer my condolences to the family and friends of the victims and I pray that her soul will rest in peace.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Someone's trying to pin violence on Detective Conan? What a joke! It's very socially orthodox; often feels the need to remind people that murder is bad. A lot of the culprits end up regetting their crimes.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
in a manner inspired by the Detective Conan

And in other news, murder mysteries have been giving you tips on how to commit murders for years and CSI shows you all the mistakes not to make after committing a crime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Here we go again I guess I'll just see what happens but if this turns into another moral panic against Manga and Anime I woludnt be surprised disheartened but not surprised. Also off the subject but wasnt the second season of Higurashi pulled from the air because of some murder?
ani12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 am Reply with quote
So, judging from their showing of the Higurashi manga pic, with the subtitle "An example of modern manga", are they saying that most manga are like that? The media sure loves "convieniently" avoiding ANY possible positive points of some series, like what the main point of that particular Higurashi arc is.

Rant over.

My condolences to the family of the victim.
machetecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight:

Here we have a 700+ chapter series where murderers have come up with hundreds of the most creative ways to kill someone- only getting caught because Conan finds evidence that would NEVER hold a candle in an actual court...

And they only use it as a reference when it comes to getting rid of the body?! Come ON people!

Honestly, I'm surprised a Detective Conan inspired murder case hasn't popped up before.

Edit: *just saw Britsh artical* Wooooow. Investigative, unbiased journalism at its finest. My favorite part is the picture of Higarashi with the bloodied weapons that has "example of modern manga" as a caption.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Eh, many people are just overreacting.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz would make for great murder inspiration. Just sayin', UK.

I watched some of Detective Conan on VHS back, oh, 6-7 years ago? It is utterly absurd, and it does fall into that weird place where you wonder what age group this was aimed at. Still, it's been going on for years and years in Japan without anyone killing anybody over it, so I think we can conclude this is a random, terrible fluke. I know in the wake of a tragedy you want to blame someone, but let's just grieve over it with honesty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3