• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Xam'd, Hell Girl: Three Vessels Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I pay 20 dollars for a 3 hour movie so 40 dollars would even be reasonable for these collections

You pay $20 for a movie that sells hundreds of thousands of copies on top of box office takings. There's a reason gold costs more than copper - there's less of it.

jmfsilenthill wrote:
Sick!! There was a rumour that Sony had Xam'd

Since Sony Music and SCEI collaborated on the series and the global début of the series was on the US Playstation Network, it's not just a rumour. Whether Sony's US rights were limited to the PSN or they've sublicensed the home video rights to Sentai is anyone's guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
X'amd!!!!! this is gonna look so sexy on BD
Capella

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy that Xam'd is getting licensed the fact that it will possibly lack a dub is disappointing. However, I won't complain because like Ghost Hound and some of Sentai's other releases it may just get a dub, hopefully on it's first release.

I guess I should just cross my fingers but I still would have preferred if Funimation had licensed so a dub was insured but oh well, either way at some point I will purchase it dub or not.

Edit: Oh never mind, looks like it will have a dub.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Just read Xam'd is getting a dub. This is great news, this means they are going to be dubbing other anime besides just the ones originally announced.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, another month goes by with no sign of Glass Mask collection 2...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Xam'd is cool but it's something I thought Funimation would grab.

Hoo rah for Hell Girl though.

Takeyo wrote:
I'm not sure, but given that I can only find DVDs on amazon.co.jp, Ghost Hound is probably an upscale.

It may not be. GH was made and broadcast in legit 1080p but for some god awful reason they only released it on DVD in Japan. Hopefully the releases uses whatever source ended up getting broadcast rather than whatever source was used for the DVD.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see season 3 of Hell Girl coming. It was pretty tedious aside from spoiler[the big twist near the end], however.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear, and a little surprising. Ghost Hound is old enough that I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been rendered at 720 or less.

Now I'm wondering how well the Ghost Hound R2 DVDs sold and what the reverse import figures will be like.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
...I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been rendered at 720 or less.

That describes every TV anime broadcast today and most OVAs and movies as well.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Laughing
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Parvati-IV wrote:
Sigh, another month goes by with no sign of Glass Mask collection 2...

Was that dropped?
chronoclast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It may not be. GH was made and broadcast in legit 1080p but for some god awful reason they only released it on DVD in Japan. Hopefully the releases uses whatever source ended up getting broadcast rather than whatever source was used for the DVD.

Ghost Hound was only broadcast at 720p AFAIK and like the large majority of TV anime, that's likely what it was produced at.

DVD's can be sourced from HD masters. It's just downscaled to SD. If you look at the back of some DVDs, like Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for example, they say something like "encoded directly from high-definition masters". I would assume the R2 DVDs for Ghost Hound were sourced from the HD masters.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
First, great news all around. I love neo-ADV!

hissatsu01 wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
...I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been rendered at 720 or less.

That describes every TV anime broadcast today and most OVAs and movies as well.

How can you be so sure? Judging from how good some of them look, particularly the texture details and line sharpness (no filtering effects on the line edges from bicubic/trilinear/etc scaling) from the Blurays, I don't think they all fall into that category. And more than a few fansubbers/encoders would also say so as well. Note that the broadcast source may not be the same as what is used for BD either.

In fact, the most widely used animation software package (by far) for anime in Japan, RETAS, had added 1080p features a while back and heavily touted its use.

In any case, Ghost Hound is definitely not an upscale from 480p. It is at least 720p, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were 1080p. I would have to dig up the broadcast raws but I do remember it looking great.

chronoclast wrote:
Ghost Hound was only broadcast at 720p AFAIK and like the large majority of TV anime, that's likely what it was produced at.

actually if it's through an HDTV signal, all anime (and tv shows for that matter) are broadcast at full 1080p since that is what the transport stream is set to. The trick is really finding out which ones are upscales and from what resolution (again whose source may differ from the masters for the BD/DVD).

For example, Kobato was initially broadcasted using an SD source, and now it is being rebroadcasted on another station with a real HD source. Both transport streams were 1080p but the difference is immediately obvious. That happened with Natsu no Arashi 2 for one episode by "accident" too.

Last edited by configspace on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Aww yeah! Good to see some dub action coming out of Sentai. Smile
As for Ghost Hound coming to Bluray with a dub I'm excited!
I just wonder if the Skull Man will ever receive a dub/bluray? I remember seeing in the credits that it too was formated for HD. I hope!

As for Xam'd, how is it? Seems that peeps say its good. And it is BONES with high def animation. I'm pretty much sold, the only major thing I've hated from BONES was Kurau Phantom Memory.

But on the side, shame on FUNi. They seem to be doing the first season of a show and then don't get the rights to the rest of the series.
I'm talking about Hell Girl seasons 2&3 and Darker Than Black season 2 here.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope they will one day dub Xamd
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11