• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
$50 Subscription Option

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Zac wrote:
And no we won't be asking for subscription fees beyond the system that's already in place.

May I ask for a request, then? Can you please add a $50 option to the list. I know I can contribute more, but I really don't want to extend my subscription terms so I can be reminded to do so every year.

I'd appreciate it. Smile

What would you want for a $50 subscription?

How many other people would be willing to spend $50 / year if we added something to make it worth your while (and what would make it worth your while?).

-t
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

How about ad-free videos?

I believe it's been discussed before, but it was quickly dismissed as $20/y isn't exactly that much.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I would like more articles (existing articles more frequently or new articles established).

Zac stated the budget is limited and this is why we only get the few we do. $50 may not be much from one person, but there's a hope others would help contribute this amount which could be applied to the salaries of the writers.

Truth be told, I really want a $100 option but this may be pushing my luck. Some users feel this amount should come with some type of "trinket", but I'm not one of those.

I prefer the "little things", such as the introduction of new titles (thanks for the Lind Trustee again). When ANN provides this relationship, it's priceless and ensures I'll keep coming back (sorry, Zac) and contributing.

But that's just me. You've all done great things since I became a member pushing for some of these ideas.

If the above isn't feasible/possible, then the $50+ could be used to help support financing items such as tshirts, stickers, and other small items which can be sold to users without the need to subscribe. The downside to this, of course, is the inventory. If it doesn't move, there's no additional monies to be made. Risky, but I've a feeling if the merchandise is good, it'll sell itself. I still want a Nina tshirt and others have expressed the same desire. Razz

Just a side note: I asked for this because I've always wondered if my subscription cost offsets the ad revenues subscribers can disable. I don't like ads, so I turn them off. It doesn't make sense to ask for $20 when the ads could produce more. Since I'm not sure, I'm assuming the $20 is a "loss", and that bugs me.

This site is free for me to use, and when I see a valued source, I want to ensure it stays around. I may bitch about things, but I also back what I bitch about. Value > free. ANN is more than proof of this.

That's just my opinion, though. Others are taking a while to understand this. Razz
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
For $50, I would certainly want an option to have no ads or less ads on the videos. Getting the same ad five times per anime episode is particularly annoying, so even the ability to see the ad only three times would be an improvement (that would also let you skip the opening sequence without having to watch the same ad twice in a row). Even just upgrading the player to play 5 different ads rather than the same ad five times per episode would be an improvement.

However, what I would really want most, both with the $20 I pay now and with the $50 subscription is for someone to read the forums and respond quickly to posts about bugs and problems people are having. I've found that I generally don't get a reply to my reports of problems on the "Bugs & Technical Questions" or "Encyclopedia" forums until someone gets around to fixing the problem, which could be weeks or months later (I have one thread on the “Bugs & Technical Questions” forum right now that is waiting for a reply, by the way). Even more than having someone actually fix the problems sooner, I would just like to have someone reply to posts within about 24 hours acknowledging that someone at ANN has seen it and is now aware of the issue. Examples of what I’m talking about:

This thread got no reply from ANN staff until after the problem was fixed:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125106
This thread got no reply until after someone started working on the issue 6 months later:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122049

If money was left over, actually fixing the issues or fixing them quicker would be good too, but again what I would most want to see is just someone viewing the forums and replying to posts. I just really don’t like having to wait for weeks or months wondering if anyone even read what I posted, let alone is planning to work on the issue. It may seem like a waste to pay someone to post "We're working on it" on the forums, but it would actually mean a lot to me to know that someone reads what I post and is aware of any issues.

Overall, I would order the things I want:
1. Replying to forum posts about problems/issues.
2. Fixing problems with the columns, video, etc. (i.e. non-encyclopedia errors).
3. Ability to turn off ads, have less ads, or have more variety in ads when watching video.
4. Correcting errors and adding new entries to the encyclopedia.
5. New anime in the video section.
6. Other new content besides new anime (e.g new columns).
7. New features in Encyclopedia and “My Anime” section (e.g. more search options).

It probably would take multiple of those things, but not all of them, to get me to pay more money, with the amount I would be willing to pay depending on which/how many things were added or improved. I think I would want at least the first three things I have listed for $50. Also, it would make no difference to me if the features were provided to everyone or only to people who paid extra money, as long as I knew that the money was being spent towards improvements I would want. Also, so there isn't any confusion, I like the things we get now for $20 a lot, and probably value having a faster server and the ability to turn off non-video ads over any of the things I listed above.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
I’d love to see ANN partner up with Rightstuf.com to offer an “Ultimate Fan Subscription” option. While this might not entice anyone outside of the United States and Canada to pay for a fifty dollar subscription, I’m sure many of the people who visit this site from those countries might be willing to pay. Something along the lines of automatically enrolling a subscriber in Rightstuf’s “Got Anime?” membership club, along with access to special sales exclusively offered to ANN Ultimate Fan Subscribers. If you only had to pay say, twenty of the fifty to Rightstuf.com, then it might be worth it. Since ANN could then use the other ten from the subscription price to help with other areas of the site, while at the same time, making a subscription more appealing to members from the United States and Canada.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
My subscription now expires in 2014. Sorry, but I couldn't wait. I didn't want to wait.

Before I begin, I want to stress my words aren't angry. I'll try to be a nice, but I also have to be blunt.

I originally read the thread wrong. I read it as, "So, in return you want what?" I was miffed at the question because I don't think this way. I think, "Here's $50. Do what you want with it."

My "expectation" is watching what you will do with that $50, not what I want. Why? It's simple:
It is not my job to run your business.

I eventually realized the purpose for the request and it calmed me down. I saw this as a "Hey, PJ's onto something! Let's see what it'll take to get other $50 support."

In other words, it's a dupe. Sure, people could ask for anything they wanted, but reality will most certainly cap many of those ideas.

See, it's a double-edged sword. You can't really afford to give those subscribers what they want in exchange for the $50. The cost is not only too high, but it's also a gamble it'll pay off.

The "no ads in video" is a perfect example. I don't believe this site can distinguish the difference of the level of subscribers. So, if this request is granted, and only two subscribers pay $50, ANN just boned itself by removing ads for all subscribers.

See the inherent and expensive cost? First, programming. Then, implementation. And for what? Two $50 contributions? Pfft.

The way this works is simple: PJ makes a request for $50 option. Site owner says "Hmm. Good idea! Someone wants to give us money. Let's make it happen." Site owner puts up new button. I click it. ANN has $50.

I may very well be the only person who ever clicks it, but does that matter? The cost of adding the button was nil and the option now allows anyone to do it.

Bluntly, you don't waste time asking others what it'll take to get $50 option put up. If the cost of implementation is far, far less than even one person asking for it, that benefits ANN.

So I'm asking you to do what ever you wish with the $60 (minus the ridiculously outrageous Paypal fees). If this $60 leads to other ideas to help ANN grow as the owner(s) see fit, then it has served its purpose.
Smile (see, not angry but happy)
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
I actually meant to remove the ads only for those who paid $50. Not $20. Note that I don't watch the videos here because of the region block.
But I don't know if it's viable or what. Sincerely, besides the invasive ad-free and fast running server I'm not really interested in anything else in return.

But I disagree with most requests here. Check the list of subscribers and try to calculate about how much is made out of all of them. So, with the current numbers, I'd say like what, $6k perhaps (year). Enough to pay an employee for 3-4 months at best.
More discounts at Rightstuf? Not doable. They already have bargain bin, 10% for club members, daily deals, weekly deals, besides their specials (like the current discount on everything in stock). More discounts and they simply won't be a profitable business anymore.
A nice way would be to save that $50, spread it through your shopping at Rightstuf throughout the year, and create yourself a fake-discount system.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I actually meant to remove the ads only for those who paid $50. Not $20.

Doesn't matter. In truth, I doubt even one subscriber at $50 is going to replace the cost of 30 second ads. One video? Two? 12? Where's the benefit where the $50 pays off? No where.

This doesn't even include the programming costs.

Quote:
But I disagree with most requests here.

I concur. They may not have any use for the $50 now given current costs are covered, but stockpile the $50, and maybe a possibility of a manga reading room can be added.

Running a website is easy. Adding to it and drawing crowds is the challenging part. That is, unless, you start off as a piracy site.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
However, what I would really want most, both with the $20 I pay now and with the $50 subscription is for someone to read the forums and respond quickly to posts about bugs and problems people are having. I've found that I generally don't get a reply to my reports of problems on the "Bugs & Technical Questions" or "Encyclopedia" forums until someone gets around to fixing the problem, which could be weeks or months later (I have one thread on the “Bugs & Technical Questions” forum right now that is waiting for a reply, by the way). Even more than having someone actually fix the problems sooner, I would just like to have someone reply to posts within about 24 hours acknowledging that someone at ANN has seen it and is now aware of the issue.

Simply acknowledging problem reports? Although this request sounds simple, its implications are not. Right now we're dealing with problem reports on a "best effort" basis. But once we start acknowledging specific issues, it means we have to actually follow through. And within a reasonable period. What's the point of acknowledging an issue if the resolution comes 2 years later (or never)? That requires planning. That means we have to start using a proper issue tracking system, either privately to ensure forum-acknowledged issues don't fall through the cracks, or publicly to replace forum-reported issues. As desirable as it is, this is a fairly significant organizational change.

(Ironically, responding to this 9 days later)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The way this works is simple: PJ makes a request for $50 option. Site owner says "Hmm. Good idea! Someone wants to give us money. Let's make it happen." Site owner puts up new button. I click it. ANN has $50.

What you're talking about is basically a donation. And we've never been too keen on donations. Except for that Lind server thing because we needed it and were tight on cash. Call it a matter of principle (or pride?), but we believe in the "exchange of money for service". Meaning that if you pay more you should get more. Otherwise it's just not a business model.

If you really want to give ANN more money, then keep that thought in mind and wait for the day when we offer some new value-added service. It's bound to happen at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And we've never been too keen on donations.

Frankly, ANN's problem. Not mine.

Quote:
Except for that Lind server thing because we needed it and were tight on cash.

Tell us: which did better, the subscription or the "donate"? My box of donuts goes to the latter.

Quote:
Call it a matter of principle (or pride?),

I can respect this, but doesn't principle also guide how a business is to expand? I mean, it's not like someone's going "Check it. PJ just gave us $60. Now Zac can buy that Kodomo no Jikan figure of Kokonoe's he's been wanting."

That's a principle I can respect. I'm just asking for a balance between the two.

Quote:
but we believe in the "exchange of money for service".

Okay. Next time I contribute this amount, send Theron to my house and read me bedtime stories of his past reviews.

Not going to happen? Well, truthfully, nor is getting a ton of $50 requests even with a trade-off. Don't forget, I've been in the web world for 20 years. Pulling the wool over my eyes isn't going to be as easy.

In addition, what does ANN think it's really offering with the current model? Turn off ads? Freely done with AdBlock. Post in Community? Anyone with at least one eye can see it's not buzzing with activity. How is the new option going to be any different?

Quote:
Meaning that if you pay more you should get more. Otherwise it's just not a business model.

But I did say I'd get more: reviews, new articles, something which isn't directly tangible to us. I know this concept of giving more and everyone benefits seems odd, but you know, some of us out there like doing things like this.

Quote:
If you really want to give ANN more money, then keep that thought in mind and wait for the day when we offer some new value-added service. It's bound to happen at some point.

No. Sorry, but I'm adamant about this.

PS: Just to give a little background on this. The company I work for surprised the hell out of us by giving us a bonus. Surprise! Here's cash. Thanks for the good work! So, since it was a surprise to me, why not share? Sure, I have goals, but I kept a good chunk back for those goals. I also helped out other sites and TRSI (new anime!).

I don't consider this donating. I consider this "about damn time I can help out."

Geez. All I did was ask. One probably figures I'm trying to steal all tempest's Tachikoma collection. I'm beginning to regret asking.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well, if the inability to give us money makes you that angry, I guess you could always use Paypal and simply send money to [email protected]
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Hmm, well, if the inability to give us money makes you that angry, I guess you could always use Paypal and simply send money to [email protected]

Silly Dan. I already sent it. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello: You have to admit though, with some people, $50 can be a ton of cash. I am not saying it wouldn't serve a good purpose, but without additional benefits, it's going to be hard to convince others that it's worthwhile to donate that much money.

Personally (and by personally, I obviously mean myself) if I were to "donate" fifty dollars, I'd like the dimensions of the avatars greatly increased. But increase I don't mean 10000X10000 or something crazy, but increasing the width and height by 50-100 pixels and increasing the KB by 5 seems like a fair trade off.

In addition to increasing the pixels of the avatar, creating the option to stop receiving emails also would be a functional addition as well.

But to be honest, since the current system is perfectly fine, there really is no reason for improvements now. I don't want to be rocking a boat that doesn't need to be moved.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I always found the thought of increasing the size of the avatar awful. For one, I can already see that dog you're using pretty clearly, and any bigger would only make it needlessly distractive.
Count me as one who'd rather pay to not see bigger avatars.

But I'll stay with Dan here, and agree that eventually something worthy of your bucks will appear. And if you don't like the idea of donating, you can always create a second account and subscribe there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2