Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
midori kou



Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 399

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I can understand what DC/CMX is trying to do to market Tenjo Tenge. Although you guys are offended by the changes in the art, as long as the story plot has not change, then we cannot say that censored artwork had greatly affected the story on its own. Plus, I think DC/CMX also wanted empathize that this is more than an eyecandy manga; it's also a fighting genre. Plus, I think anyone who knew nothing about this series WOULD be greatly offended if they DID saw it in its original form. Depictions of rape and females as sexual objects would not help DC/CMX's reputation to obtain more manga outside of the "hentai" genre. When I saw the original, it looked just like hentai and I don't think DC/CMX wants everyone to think that you can "cartoon porn" from them.

A lot would be at stake if DC/CMX would have done that. Even if you shrink wrap it and restrict it to "21-years-old" or up, the fact that you can get it at any general bookstore compared to an adult bookstore is the problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Izlude



Joined: 04 Jul 2003
Posts: 323
Location: Wherever The Wind Takes Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I can understand what DC/CMX is trying to do to market Tenjo Tenge. Although you guys are offended by the changes in the art, as long as the story plot has not change, then we cannot say that censored artwork had greatly affected the story on its own.


However, thats the problem. Tenjo Tenge doesnt have much of a deep story or plot, its all about the artwork - HUGE tits and GUTWRENCHING violence. Thats what makes OhGreat so damn great.

Tenjo Tenge for adults, not for some Shonen Jump teeny bopper which DC is trying to get to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sakurazukamori



Joined: 01 Jan 2005
Posts: 72
Location: Europe (FR)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Izlude, I agree with you.
I hope CMX's release of Tenjou Tenge will be a commercial failure.
Perhaps they'll understand that fans don't like censorship.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
R.G.



Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I can understand what DC/CMX is trying to do to market Tenjo Tenge. Although you guys are offended by the changes in the art, as long as the story plot has not change, then we cannot say that censored artwork had greatly affected the story on its own. Plus, I think DC/CMX also wanted empathize that this is more than an eyecandy manga; it's also a fighting genre. Plus, I think anyone who knew nothing about this series WOULD be greatly offended if they DID saw it in its original form. Depictions of rape and females as sexual objects would not help DC/CMX's reputation to obtain more manga outside of the "hentai" genre. When I saw the original, it looked just like hentai and I don't think DC/CMX wants everyone to think that you can "cartoon porn" from them.

A lot would be at stake if DC/CMX would have done that. Even if you shrink wrap it and restrict it to "21-years-old" or up, the fact that you can get it at any general bookstore compared to an adult bookstore is the problem.


Well put,midori kou.As I posted before,I don't let any edits ruin my enjoyment of a particular manga or anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9445
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
midori kou wrote:
I can understand what DC/CMX is trying to do to market Tenjo Tenge. Although you guys are offended by the changes in the art, as long as the story plot has not change, then we cannot say that censored artwork had greatly affected the story on its own. Plus, I think DC/CMX also wanted empathize that this is more than an eyecandy manga; it's also a fighting genre. Plus, I think anyone who knew nothing about this series WOULD be greatly offended if they DID saw it in its original form. Depictions of rape and females as sexual objects would not help DC/CMX's reputation to obtain more manga outside of the "hentai" genre. When I saw the original, it looked just like hentai and I don't think DC/CMX wants everyone to think that you can "cartoon porn" from them.

A lot would be at stake if DC/CMX would have done that. Even if you shrink wrap it and restrict it to "21-years-old" or up, the fact that you can get it at any general bookstore compared to an adult bookstore is the problem.


Well put,midori kou.As I posted before,I don't let any edits ruin my enjoyment of a particular manga or anime.

That's not the point. These people at CMX made a statement and didn't even stick to it.

"And it's pure manga — 100% the way the original Japanese creators want you to see it. In English!"

First of all, I doubt the original Japanese creators wanted us to see a Japanese language manga in English, otherwise they'd have made them in English from the beginning, but that's beside the point.

Second (and mainly), it ruins a thing called "integrity." If companies all over the U.S. altered and changed every kind of media that was imported, you'd still pay full price for it and not settle for something that could be a little better? The word "pure" means untainted, this is false advertisement at it's best what with all the edits, alterations, zoom-ins, digitally inputed clothing, etc.

Other companies that release manga uncut and uncensored do so because they know fans already want it that way. And by actually listening to fans and staying at least a little closer to the original format, they make their money and make fans happy (for the most part, but I'm actually very behind on what's hot and what's not in the manga world).

This move for DC/CMX will make them suffer a loss in revenue at best, and the money they make now probably won't even make up for all the costs that went into editing and producing several thousand copies of a manga no one is willing to buy, except for you and maybe a few others that haven't heard about or aren't familiar with the original content being removed or covered for whatever silly marketing purpose DC/CMX initially had in mind.

I'm surprised. You two are the first ones I've actually seen support CMX for their decision in censoring Tenjou Tenge.

But, if you like settling for second rate material I suppose it's better than nothing at all, right Surprised?


Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Hellrasinbrasin



Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I think its a great thing for any manga fan to hear that their book has been licensed by a US distributor. However, with that purchase comes the fear of will this companies translation be as accurate as the online version or will it be bad. What most if not all can or will not standby is the editing of the source material to make it paletable for all age groups. If the book is for adults, teenagers or younger label it as needed for those group ages. But... but do not, alter the images of a book due to it being an light adult serial just so you can get kids to buy it. Since CMX has taken this route rather than paying the amount they are selling Tenjou Tenge at; I rather get the manga on the net at least there the manga will be left 100% intact. Sadly to say, its not an excuss its a consequence of a company raping a book; of which no one would disagree with on that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
s_j



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Posts: 162

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Here's an easy solution for readers who want the unabridged experience...pick up a copy of Silky Whip from Eros. Whenever you run into a censored scene, just flip to any random page in Silky Whip. Wink

Seriously, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for DC. Janet flashes a boob on tv and middle America is up in a furor. Retailers are arrested for selling porn comics...to adults no less...and few people bat an eye, with some even applauding the convictions. And high school students apparently think freedom of speech can and should be abridged. ACLU, CBLDF, and other free speech orgs regularly have mud slung into their faces for defending "obscenity," because a lot of people don't understand that defending speech means defending even that which you don't agree with.

This all has a trickle down effect, folks...DC is just being cautious, and I can't blame them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haiseikoh 1973



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 1590
Location: Waiting for the Japanese 1000 Gunieas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:13 am Reply with quote
I'll buy one....merely just on the speculation that the "Edit" version is gonna get recalled and not too many copies will exist.

Otherwise, I rather see the "Unedited."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R.G.



Joined: 16 Nov 2003
Posts: 640

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:05 am Reply with quote
s_j wrote:
Seriously, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for DC. Janet flashes a boob on tv and middle America is up in a furor. Retailers are arrested for selling porn comics...to adults no less...and few people bat an eye, with some even applauding the convictions. And high school students apparently think freedom of speech can and should be abridged. ACLU, CBLDF, and other free speech orgs regularly have mud slung into their faces for defending "obscenity," because a lot of people don't understand that defending speech means defending even that which you don't agree with.

This all has a trickle down effect, folks...DC is just being cautious, and I can't blame them.


Indeed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
necrosis



Joined: 05 Mar 2005
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, in all the rage that everyone is expressing, did anyone notice the note from the editors on that last page?

"We have worked closely with the author and orginal publisher to prepare the American edition according to Oh! great's wishes. The author approved limited revisions in order to make his work more accessible to a wider American audience."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wyvern



Joined: 01 Sep 2004
Posts: 648

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:35 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Wonderful, as if War Games and Identity Crisis didn't already have me pissed off at DC.
-Xenos


Although I really liked both War Games and Identity Crisis (*sniffle* poor Stephanie...) I think it's worth noting that both of those contain WAY more objectionable material than Tenjou Tenge. There's no rape scene in TT, no teenage girls being tourtured and beaten to death. It looks like DC can't even keep its own standards straight. Disgraceful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haiseikoh 1973



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 1590
Location: Waiting for the Japanese 1000 Gunieas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote
necrosis wrote:
Quote:
Hey, in all the rage that everyone is expressing, did anyone notice the note from the editors on that last page?

"We have worked closely with the author and orginal publisher to prepare the American edition according to Oh! great's wishes. The author approved limited revisions in order to make his work more accessible to a wider American audience."


Define "Limited Revisions." What CMX/DC did was akin to a revision of the Holy Bible by some Militant Atheist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Necros Antiquor



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Funny in a car crash sort of way

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:
I think I'll just bum the JP copies from my customer and have my wife translate it for me... (yea, i took the shortcut for learning Japanese... i married one =).

More power to you if you can get your wife to translate a manga that's basically a whole lot of T&A. Wink Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
AstroNerdBoy



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 375
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quote
s_j wrote:
Here's an easy solution for readers who want the unabridged experience...pick up a copy of Silky Whip from Eros. Whenever you run into a censored scene, just flip to any random page in Silky Whip. Wink

Seriously, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for DC. Janet flashes a boob on tv and middle America is up in a furor. Retailers are arrested for selling porn comics...to adults no less...and few people bat an eye, with some even applauding the convictions. And high school students apparently think freedom of speech can and should be abridged. ACLU, CBLDF, and other free speech orgs regularly have mud slung into their faces for defending "obscenity," because a lot of people don't understand that defending speech means defending even that which you don't agree with.

This all has a trickle down effect, folks...DC is just being cautious, and I can't blame them.


Then they shouldn't be in the manga business. Del Rey was going to do this crap with Negima! but fortunately they changed their mind. OK, so they are being over-cautious with the shrink-wrap (Love Hina isn't shrink-wrapped), but at least we get a good translation and good translator notes with Del Rey's release.

DC should take a lesson from Del Rey or get out of the manga business. Being cautious isn't going to gain them business in this glutted market. There are too many other titles out there to buy to waste money on their edited, domesticated crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
midori kou



Joined: 22 Oct 2004
Posts: 399

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
s_j wrote:
Seriously, I can't help but feel a little sympathy for DC. Janet flashes a boob on tv and middle America is up in a furor. Retailers are arrested for selling porn comics...to adults no less...and few people bat an eye, with some even applauding the convictions. And high school students apparently think freedom of speech can and should be abridged. ACLU, CBLDF, and other free speech orgs regularly have mud slung into their faces for defending "obscenity," because a lot of people don't understand that defending speech means defending even that which you don't agree with.

This all has a trickle down effect, folks...DC is just being cautious, and I can't blame them.


Indeed.


I totally agree. **nod nod**
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group