Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 13-19




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3309
Location: Back stateside

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wow... keep milking that cash cow, Yen Press.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6166
Location: IL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjapet



Joined: 20 Apr 2009
Posts: 1470

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's nice to see Negima! staying in the chart for this long. Then again vol 26 is really good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lunaitc



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
And in a show of symmetry that would make Death the Kid proud, Soul Eater volume 3 premiers at #3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.


The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format, and since a large number of the people buying these graphic novels are comic book collectors, hard covers are usually always released with the highly "collectible" titles.

I like seeing that Scott Pilgrim pretty much owns the paperback graphic novel list, but I really have to wonder how those sales compare to the manga list. Wish we could see actual numbers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime Remix



Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 354

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Volume 47 has been on the list for 18 weeks.... I wonder will it hit 20 weeks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6166
Location: IL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.


The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format...
Really? I had no idea that those were hardcover. All the trades I've bought were softcover. Guess I learn something new every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
littlegreenwolf



Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Posts: 4621
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I really have to wonder just how many "hardcover graphic books" that get published every week.


The number is actually larger than some people would think. You've got all of Marvel and DC, as well as the smaller comic book publishers releasing tons of titles each week that were previously just released in periodical format...
Really? I had no idea that those were hardcover. All the trades I've bought were softcover. Guess I learn something new every day.


Most are releasaed soft cover, but the big names, Superman, Justice Leauge, Spider Man, anything Alan Moore, etc, usually get a hardcover version release as well for collectors. The hard cover editions usually come with some bonus incentive like extra concept art or creator notes, updated art and the like as well. For example, the hardcover edition of Superman's Red Son totally owned the paper back edition based off all the USSR propaganda art it had. Same with Neil Gaiman's Absolute Sandman editions which were sold in lesser numbers for the insane price of around 100 bucks each, but still pretty much sold out when first released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77



Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 620

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Negima on there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 10335

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow... keep milking that cash cow, Yen Press.


And that's without extra fees like licenses (well, foreign licenses at least), translators, typesetters, etc. They must be raking some warchest there. Like how AD Vision used to build their warchest thru their hentai division Soft Cel. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group