• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Harem (Asu no Yoichi!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in this title, but I think 50 dollars for 12 sub-only episodes is too much.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I'm interested in this title, but I think 50 dollars for 12 sub-only episodes is too much.

How about $30?
luhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen this show and I'm fairly certain I'll never want to but. . . Samurai Harem? Really? It's probably a completely accurate and descriptive reflection of the content, but still, couldn't they have come up with something better than that?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

How about $30?

Yeah, unless you're shopping at FYE (and there's hardly any of those left) you shouldn't be paying anywhere near MSRP. On Right Stuf and Amazon it's more often closer to $30 than $50.

I've watched the firs half of this and so far I've enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but I found myself laughing and smiling a lot more than I expected. It was definitely cliched at times, but it's good looking and enjoyable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
Very fair and apt review (although I probably would have given it an overall score of B as opposed to B- because I personally found it somewhat more amusing than the average harem show). I checked this one out via fansub a while back and quite enjoyed it. Wouldn't shock me to see this title end up in my collection at some point, but I don't feel in a super rush for it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
luhead wrote:
I haven't seen this show and I'm fairly certain I'll never want to but. . . Samurai Harem? Really? It's probably a completely accurate and descriptive reflection of the content, but still, couldn't they have come up with something better than that?

I read one chapter and that was it. Nothing but a typical harem with stereotypical characters. Nothing really original and nothing to convince me to read more or watch the series.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
luhead wrote:

I read one chapter and that was it. Nothing but a typical harem with stereotypical characters. Nothing really original and nothing to convince me to read more or watch the series.

I agree...the english title makes it seem like another stereotypical harem; which will probably keep most viewers away from the content. At first glance, it seems like your average rom-com, but I actually really enjoyed this one. Check that, I am OBSESSED with this one...but that's only cause I haven't watched enough anime to know the difference ^^;. But anyway, it has likeable characters and some endearing moments without fully focusing on the pointless fanservice (As most harems do, unfortunately...), plus it has a decent supporting cast. So don't let the title turn you off.

Although the series is full of typical harem cliches, this one actually goes a bit above the norm. The anime adaptation took the original content and made it better with rewrites and some plot changes. So for those who started off by reading the manga- I'd definitely recommend you watch the anime first. It's so much better.

This was a very fair review, and its good to see this series got some recognition. *Sighs* If only it got a second season...
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I've skimmed through a few episodes of it on Bright House's On Demand, channel 345 if you have it, and it does seem kinda good. Not as much fanservice as I thought there would be, considering it's name has "harem" in it.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, I think I may have to ge this at some point but I'm not in any rush to own it now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I dont think so. though i'm a hardcore fanservice junkie and harem junkie. Sure it's no love hina or any of Akamastu's creations, the manga is still decent and I enjoyed it.

However i'm gonna skip the anime version since as usual Sentai/Section 23 once again releases another series with no english dub and this series should have gotten one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This show would never make the money back if it were dubbed. Go away, stop whining.

I'd say my opinion of the show so far follows Blood-, but I'm only on ep 4 (just watching it on TAN VOD). Hopefully, my enjoyment stays consistent.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This is good reminder for me to pick this up. I'm of a different opinion though, like kh_gal said, aside from the fanservice, I like the likeable characters and endearing moments; and like the review, the silly moments were laugh out loud funny too. (tsubasa vision, lol). The only problem I have is what happened to the overall story? It's been a while so I don't remember the details, but what of Yoichi's original mission of coming down the mountain spoiler[to the city to "train" so he could inherit the dojo .. or something that???]. I don't read the manga, so I don't know if the rescue mission and temple top fighting and Sakon at the end were canonical, but it seemed like a sidetrack (though still good)...
kh_gal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
This is good reminder for me to pick this up. I'm of a different opinion though, like kh_gal said, aside from the fanservice, I like the likeable characters and endearing moments; and like the review, the silly moments were laugh out loud funny too. (tsubasa vision, lol). The only problem I have is what happened to the overall story? It's been a while so I don't remember the details, but what of Yoichi's original mission of coming down the mountain spoiler[to the city to "train" so he could inherit the dojo .. or something that???]. I don't read the manga, so I don't know if the rescue mission and temple top fighting and Sakon at the end were canonical, but it seemed like a sidetrack (though still good)...

I know! That's what makes this series so good- the endearing character moments and likable characters.

As for the overall story (if you read the manga) spoiler[It mainly focuses on the character relationships; and a bunch of new characters are added to the mix. But so far 12 volumes have passed and nothing has happened with the relationships. And Yoichi never went down to the city to take over the dojo- his father just sent him there to train his skills with the Ikaruga's. Yoichi's ancestors has been friends with Ikaruga's ancestors for generations, so that's why he ended up there. The arc with Sakon and Ukyou happens in the manga too- the anime and manga flip the events around slightly.]

It's totally worth it though. If you like the anime, definitely pick up the manga. I just don't like how the pairings are turning out =-=
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

I don't think so. though i'm a hardcore fanservice junkie and harem junkie. Sure it's no love hina or any of Akamastu's creations, the manga is still decent and I enjoyed it.

However i'm gonna skip the anime version since as usual Sentai/Section 23 once again releases another series with no english dub and this series should have gotten one.

Yes, because dubbing this show that hardly anyone has ever heard of is going to help it move the 5-10K units it needs just to BREAK EVEN on the cost of the dub.

There is a big difference between a show that "should have" a dub, and one that has sales that can support a dub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:12 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
There is a big difference between a show that "should have" a dub, and one that has sales that can support a dub.

Yeah, but good luck explaining that incredibly simple and straightforward concept to the "waaah, no dub, no sale, waaah" brigade. By the way, I love dubs too, but I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't expect companies to operate at a loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2