• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere: my take.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloverhitomi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys ^^ I am pretty new here and I kinda find this website as an opportunity to post some personal anime reviews. Just a side hobby if I am not in school or drawing manga and such, but this would be fun!
From the title this is a personal review of "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere." And don't worry this is a personal opinion of what i think of the show. But enough of that here it is:

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere Review
By: Jonathan A. Rodriguez aka: Cloverhitomi
10/29/2013

When I first looked at the DVD cover in my local library the one thing that stood out the most is the very gorgeous yet overly sexualized female characters displayed on the title. I know anime does have the habit of giving female characters huge bazongas and ridiculous curves. So naturally I would put it off as just another attempt to feed into the fan service. However, I had the benefit of the doubt and decided to give it a go. And from what I saw my first impression was just, “Wow!” I mean yeah it is a melting pot of fanservice, but the animation, the art work and the attention to details is just gorgeous. Everything looks up to date. From the weapon designs, the architecture of the buildings, the character designs, hell even the CGI looks up to date.

Okay enough with the juicy stuff, what about the story? It takes place in a post apocalyptic time period where Earth is inhospitable and mankind lives on these giant ships with actual cities on them. A higher authority council called the Testament Union enforces the re-enactment of ancient history as the lifestyle that these current inhabitants should follow based on the prophecies of the Holy Book Testament. The Testament does not reveal what would happen in the upcoming future which leads to rumors of a huge war that may potentially happen. Seeing this, our hero, Tori Aoi, head of the Musashi Ariadust Academy’s Supreme Federation and leader of the student council leads a revolution to regain their long lost homeland.

Yeah the story does feel somewhat cookie cutter story, but it adds a very good blend of futuristic and old world Japanese elements. This kind of theme has been done over and over again like series such as Afro Samurai and Samurai 7 so it’s nothing really new, but making use of the current technology adds much more impressive looking visuals that really set it apart from other animes with similar themes.

The CGI here looks very impressive and does look updated. I did notice that some animes that utilize CGI looked pretty choppy and slow moving and also had cel-shaded textures that didn’t look very impressive. Not saying that CGI in animes is all bad, but the CGI here looks more detailed and has much more smoother animation making me believe that it is actually there.

The writing of the characters is just unexpected and very well done. There are so many characters in here each with their own unique personalities and fighting styles. But none of them seem like the stereotypical anime personalities that we are familiar with. The students are all enjoyable to watch and are each funny as hell. But I do believe the strongest character is probably Tori Aoi, our main hero. I never expected that the class clown could be the head of the student council and the leader of the Academy. This guy is just frigging hilarious. He has a fondness for bazongas and has an urge just to grope them and loves playing erotic video games. This is the kind of character you would expect to be a side character, but his unique personality just makes him so likeable and a good change of character roles. Now the heroine of the story is P-01s, an android who possesses the soul of Horizon Ariadust who past away a long time ago. Now honestly I do not really like this character a lot. She is an android with no emotions and is completely unsociable and yet she grows a bond with the main character and it’s just been done over and over again.

Now the only problem I see here is it did had a slow start from the first episode. The first episode was basically a school lesson involving the thr students to catch their instructor while engaging in battle. The battle scenes are very fast paced and have some really good angle shots, but that’s most of the first episode. It doesn’t tell the story right away and I didn’t really know what was going on until the second and the third episode. I guess this is just to show what typical school lesson they offer in the future which is pretty cool, but I would’ve liked it more if they told us what the story would be about. But this is nitpicking and I don’t if it is going to bother you guys.

Overall, the series is indeed a melting pot of fanservice, but added with a cool story, well written and likeable characters and top it off with amazing animation visuals then this is definitely a series I could really get into. The final score to me is a solid 4.5/5! This is series is well worth a place within my collecting of anime DVDs. If you ever get a chance to find a copy of this in your local library or video store or if you just want to purchase a copy, then pick it up and pop it into your DVD player.

[EDIT: Changed your topic title to sound a little smoother and fixed your paragraph formatting so people could read it more easily. -TK]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the forum.

Speaking for myself only I found Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere to be an incomprensible mess and nearly impossible to follow. In each episode there were about 10 dialogs that introduced a completely new rule of physicality in the universe that was somehow significant to the plot. For me at least the overall effect was tiresome, and the spots of humor and fan service weren't enough to make up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1