• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Band of Brothers [2010-06-28]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
I hate the character design's in kenichi as well. Whats with those eyebrows? freaky!
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you don't know what's up with Brotherhood, here's the deal; It's like the new Evangelion movies or Dragon Ball Z Kai.

No, it isn't.

Quote:
Characters that only turned up in the second half of the original turn up early on in Brotherhood. Sheska (the girl with a photographic memory) gets a lot of screen time and Ed and Al's dad makes more than one appearance.

Wha..?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Actually Brotherhood is much easier to understand if you have never seen the first Fullmetal Alchemist series. Take this point for example

Amestris is not an alternate universe version of Germany. especially pre-World War I. While Hiromu Arakawa did base the countries off of real life countries (Drachma and Russia, Xing and China) Amestris was based off of England and the geography doesn't match anywhere on Earth. You're thinking about the first series when you said this.

I especially saw this on Toonzone where several people kept on making jokes about things that only happen in the first anime series expecting it to happen in this one.

I should also point out that except for two arcs (The Greed Arc, and the Ishval massacre flashback), the series is actually not condensed at all. It's just that the first series was heavily decompressed, for example one character dies half way through the first anime while his death occured less than 1/6th of the manga.

Also "Ishbalan" is a mispelling because the first anime really didn't have much in the way of official english spelling, it's actually spelled "Ishvalan"
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Curious podcasters want to know-- if you're watching Fullmetal Alchemist for the first time starting with Brotherhood, and you've never read the manga, what do you think of it? Does it make sense to you? I ask because I can't tell if Brotherhood stands alone very well or not. I can't un-watch the original series or forget that I've seen it.

I can’t have un-watched it either, but it’s been such a long while since I’ve last seen the first series. I was kind of surprised of myself for being able to put it out of my mind and follow this new story as it goes real easily. It’s definitely different, and I’m just as intrigued as I was with the first series. Of course I'm talking about what I'm following on Adult Swim and not what's covered on this first DVD set.

Quote:
It suddenly occurred to me after that particular fight that Maka is a female protagonist of a shonen show. Sure, she fights on a team with Soul, but it's nice to see a girl in the lead role for once.

And this series doesn’t compromise its lead strong female character by sexualizing her with her skimpy clothing, which is a bonus for me. Does anyone else like the second closing theme as much as I do? I always found it to be a really, really nice tune.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Fanservice- The ONLY thing keeping Soul Eater off of Adult Swim. Thanks Kim!

...Idiot.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Does anyone else like the second closing theme as much as I do? I always found it to be a really, really nice tune.

Eh...it's really not my favorite of the four. Maybe because I like when ED songs are not slow like other ones. I mean, compared to the other three ED's which are fast-paced pop/rap/rock, it's almost in contrast to the show.

Also, great article today as usual. I wonder if, since she's such a big fan of the genre, she'll get around to doing Fairy Tail. (unless she did and I missed it)
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that the original FMA had a "Gekko" ending. Maybe that's why I hated it so much. Hated hated hated hated hated it. It felt like at some point they fired the staff and just brought in new people to finish it off.

I guess I will have to give Brotherhood a chance now.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
Erin, everyone I know that applied to run a panel at Otakon, including myself, got wait listed. Which is like three people but I don't take that as the greatest sign as all of us have run panels at Otakon for the last several years.

I hope the panels they have this year are friggin amazing, or I am seriously going to be pissed. Well, pissed enough to leave negative con feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I know a lot of people who read this column just buy whatever comes out if it's halfway decent. (I've seen the pictures of your shelves!)

...Ouch. There goes any incentive I had to send in my photos, Jeez. Confused
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
I know a lot of people who read this column just buy whatever comes out if it's halfway decent. (I've seen the pictures of your shelves!)

She's not really bashing those sort of people, just saying their "standards" (though YMMV on where the line between different standards and simply different tastes lies) are probably lower. And really, you should always be proud of your collection considering it shows how much you've supported the industry. Even if a bunch of the ANN staff came to your house and saw your collection, I doubt they would say anything too negative since they all strongly push the "support the industry" argument. Only if you had done something genuinely stupid, like push yourself into debt by buying too much at once, would some well-earned criticism be coming your way.

kpk: Hohenhiem does appear in more flashbacks early on in Brotherhood compared to the original's early episodes. I do admit I don't understand the Sheska part, she really doesn't appear that much more compared to the original.

Anyway, I've got the first two Soul Eater sets and first FMA Brotherhood set, and am eagerly awaiting getting the future sets. Kenichi I'll eventually get in the re-release 26-episode sets.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:

She's not really bashing those sort of people, just saying their "standards" (though YMMV on where the line between different standards and simply different tastes lies) are probably lower. And really, you should always be proud of your collection considering it shows how much you've supported the industry. Even if a bunch of the ANN staff came to your house and saw your collection, I doubt they would say anything too negative since they all strongly push the "support the industry" argument. Only if you had done something genuinely stupid, like push yourself into debt by buying too much at once, would some well-earned criticism be coming your way.

Well, I've certainly supported the industry - and loved doing it! Just recently hit 60 shows in my collection. w00t.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:16 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Fanservice- The ONLY thing keeping Soul Eater off of Adult Swim. Thanks Kim!

...Idiot.

I'm pretty sure the "Is it because Death the Kid shoots someone in the face in this season?" is more of the issue here. And the fact he uses realistic guns in the first place. They would have to "4kids" the series a bit due to the more vivid violence of slicing people and eating their souls as opposed to Naruto's or DBZ's punching and kicking of people. Also we have to deal with Green Guns or laser guns again. Not to mention dealing with things like souls and a slightly christian take with things like God and Death. Also, Erin said Cartoon Network. Not Adult Swim. The things you can read when not blinded by nerd rage...

Probably the main thing keeping this series off of Adult Swim is the character design comes off as too kiddy compared to Bleach and FMA so some viewers may not give it a chance and probably cause [AS] doesn't want to give up more blocks to anime or something like that.

Also:

kpk wrote:
No, it isn't.

On a fundmental level, yeah, it kinda is. DBZ Kai: A remake that follows more closely to the original manga? EVA movies: new animated remake? That sounds the same to me. Yeah, there is way more to FMA in comparision to DBZ Kai but fundmentally; the same.

In any case a fun read. I think I'll finally give the FMA:B streams a look now since I know its ending soon. And its funny with what pachy_boy said cause I'm actually doing that. Not watching the older series to better remove the first series from my mind in prep for this series. Tried to watch the series when it came out but the first series was too fresh in my mind. Hopefully time has done its thing. And its nice to see Erin being a bit more personal with the shelf obsessed comments. Although it is just one sentence again... I'd like a bit more but better then the cut and paste comments we saw for a while.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Thanks for the point of clarification, doc.
I was a little taken aback by the way her comment came across, too. But now I don't feel upset.

As for Brotherhood, I'm still pretty torn; on the one hand I'm very turned off by the almost constant joke-spewing, even in serious situations, but on the other hand it's still a deliciously animated BONES work, still has one of the most well-suited VA casts I've ever heard, and as the manga has told me: it gets better.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Curious podcasters want to know-- if you're watching Fullmetal Alchemist for the first time starting with Brotherhood, and you've never read the manga, what do you think of it? Does it make sense to you? I ask because I can't tell if Brotherhood stands alone very well or not. I can't un-watch the original series or forget that I've seen it.

I feel the same way. I can't really tell if I love the new series on its own merits or I just like the FMA universe that much.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
You need to forget about the first series, because your review was full of references to the first series that are moot in Brotherhood.

Amestris =/= Germany in Brotherhood, and it's Ishvalan now, not Ishbalan. And Hohenheim doesn't actually make his first appearance until Episode 19, which is on the second set. He did appear a lot in the first opening though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6