• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nikkatsu's Sushi Typhoon Genre Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
So if I have a company and I bring out a anime and then the next day I bring out a live action flick also would I have a news report on anime news network then? Because I just don't see why you have a report for a live action movie on a Anime site. Please tell me why.[/b]
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
So if I have a company and I bring out a anime and then the next day I bring out a live action flick also would I have a news report on anime news network then? Because I just don't see why you have a report for a live action movie on a Anime site. Please tell me why.[/b]

That is why this article is in the daily briefs section. Among other stories, this section includes stories that aren't about anime or manga, but still have an indirect anime connection (in this case, Funimation).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Because the liveaction films are Japanese.

Do you get angry when you read about manga? Cause that's not anime either. But rather they're Japanese comics. Just like this partnership will bring FUNimation Japanese films.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody watch any Asian dramas? K-Drama? Dramas from Hong Kong?

I watch a lot of Asian dramas like TVB's Forensic Heroes. I wish Funimation can get Korean Dramas and maybe Asian Dramas from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China. That would be something that get people attention and it would be cool if Funi can pick those up. They don't need to dub it in English, although, I wouldn't mind they add foreign dub like Japanese dub, Vietnamese dub, or any Asian dub in the show because we do have Asian people that watch these drama. Maybe Funimation could look into bringing these dramas to USA although you could find Korean dramas on Hulu but dramas from HK and China are kinda niche.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I would love Funimation, Sentai, or Media Blasters to start importing some Japanese dramas. I have watched some online at Crunchyroll and other streaming sites that I have really enjoyed and would love to buy on DVD.

Plus, I would love to see the live action Hell Girl someday. Razz
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I would love Funimation, Sentai, or Media Blasters to start importing some Japanese dramas. I have watched some online at Crunchyroll and other streaming sites that I have really enjoyed and would love to buy on DVD.

In Hell Girl's case, it's only 12 episodes so Switchblade could release it all in 1 set if they wanted to get it so why not?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Me too, oh and try watching some other drama beside Japanese drama. I watch a lot of dramas from Hong Kong, and I have watch several Korean dramas (you can find them on Hulu). You like Kung Fu? Because I know some Kung Fu drama from Taiwan and Hong Kong that you can watch. There are a lot of good Asian dramas not just Japan. I would love it if Funimation can pick up [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bund_(TVB)]this HK drama featuring a young Chow-Yun Fat[/url].

Quote:
In Hell Girl's case, it's only 12 episodes so Switchblade could release it all in 1 set if they wanted to get it so why not?

Switchblade? Is that name of a company that pick Asian stuff. How come I never heard of it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Switchblade is one of the companies that was made after ADV was dissolved. They pick up short Japanese live-action shows and full-length movies. Though I've noticed most of their catalogue is aimed at the more... ahem.. mature audiences.
Does anyone know if that Angie Chiu from The Bund is the same woman who was in one of the movie versions of The Legend of the Red Lantern (one of the eight model operas that were made during the Cultural Revolution)? I saw a video of a movie version of the ballet and the two women look very similar.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Ok, so let me get this straight: the first announcement by FUNimation out of AX turns out to be...a Live Action acquisition. BLAAAAH! I know people like J-dramas, but COME ON! I hope this is like the equivalent of a 30-minute set from an opening act of a concert for a major league "headliner" type announcement coming by Saturday...in other words, BIGGER things *cough Evagelion 2.02 cough* are coming down the pipe soon...I hope
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Seeing how this was announced yesterday and AX starts today... no.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 am Reply with quote
Plus FUNi's panel is tomorrow, not today.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Interesting news about Funimation acquiring the option to get the first look at live action movies from the label Sushi Typhoon. Also that one movie is to be released in early 2011.

That is some news alright.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
Switchblade is one of the companies that was made after ADV was dissolved. They pick up short Japanese live-action shows and full-length movies. Though I've noticed most of their catalogue is aimed at the more... ahem.. mature audiences.
Does anyone know if that Angie Chiu from The Bund is the same woman who was in one of the movie versions of The Legend of the Red Lantern (one of the eight model operas that were made during the Cultural Revolution)? I saw a video of a movie version of the ballet and the two women look very similar.

Oh, thanks for telling me that. uh could you give me a clip of that Legend of Red Lantern movie and I could if that is Angie Chiu, I highly doubt that's her because she's more famous in TV show then movies, What year was that movie was made?

If Funimation ever want to pick up Asian drama, I would love beside The Bund and Forensic Heroes they could get TVB's Looking back in Anger (this show is very well-known in Hong Kong and most of Asia and I think it's about time the western countries needs to watch this), Forensic Heroes season 2, and I do love Kung Fu drama Tv show like Funi should pick up Legend of Condor Heroes (2003 version) and Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber (2003 version)
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the live-action acquisitions get mentioned because, hey, there's a lot of overlap between anime fans and Asian live-action fans. Anyway, I kind of wish that companies would start releasing some more Asian films besides those in the horror/gore/crime genres. There's a lot of other interesting stuff out there (although maybe it'd be a bit pricier to license). I'm not saying don't license these more sensational titles, just-- more variety, please.

mdo7 wrote:
Does anybody watch any Asian dramas? K-Drama? Dramas from Hong Kong?
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I've watched more dramas than anime by far, at this point. And as much as I'd love to buy my favorites (too many to list, but especially older shows that someone fansubbed off their old VHS tapes-- i.e. Long Vacation, Gift, Beach Boys, Virgin Road, Cheap Love, etc.), I have a feeling whoever holds the licenses would want a lot more money than would be reasonable considering how small the market here would be. For example, anyone trying to license a good lot of fan favorite J-dramas would probably run into the Johnnys Entertainment juggernaut almost instantly (not that I'm complaining but JE boys are in practically everything popular). K-Dramas seem to be the more likely candidates, yet none of my favorites have been licensed yet (Dal Ja's Spring, What's Up Fox, 9 Ends 2 Outs & Oh! My Lady, to name a few) so I'm still waiting to see if that market takes off any more than the few that have been picked up. I'm not exactly holding my breath but then again how many anime fans back in the day would've ever guessed they'd see anime available for purchase here? So maybe it's not totally crazy...

(P.S. As for TW dramas-- I've only seen like 1-1/3. I forced myself to finish-- wait for it-- Magicians of Love [yep, that one] and started Smiling Pasta before hitting my breaking point ~6 eps in and never looking back. Sorry.)
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... if Tak Sakaguchi is involved, these are probably some of those ridiculously violent (and sometimes just plain ridiculous) horror-type flicks. Pass.

OTOH, I would like to see the live-action Hell Girl released here too. Not to mention the live-action Gokusen series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2