• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dethtok

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
My Bride is A mermaid has the Terminator in a school girl outfit how the hell can you hate a show that awesome! That show is simply amazing, I mean it's mermaid yakuza running a school. It's probably my favorite school comedy, and rivals Magical Project S, and Excel Saga as my favorite comedy.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Really loving this ANNCast. Glad you guys are having such in depth discussions [currently at the part about throw-awat-content]

Also, I'll repeat it- I now feel compelled to buy My Bride is a Mermaid. The premise alone sells me on it, what with mermaid yakuza. Good point about the different social climate [ie- lonely wierdos watching stuff online vs. having to hunt it down/interact with others for it before. Anime isn't precious like it used to be]

edit- Wow, Mouse sells? And Samurai does?

.....Media Blasters now has to make a series called "Samurai Boobs".

Note- Need more GaoGaiGar toys :( I have HyoRyu, but need more. And yeah, I did send in a bajillion questions... hope some of them were useful and not overly annoying :)

Lol! Bazookas :) Good to hear MB's still good to go, and some word on stuff. I based the dropping of dub songs off of comments on AnimeonDVD. Good to hear it's on the extras. And yeah, making toys=expensive. I was curious if MB's attempts went well, so I guess this is a no.

Last edited by Paploo on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Nick got mad at them for Invader Zim selling so well Razz I know I've got my copies, maybe if Nick hadn't treated the show like dirt to begin with...but that's in the past, I'll just laugh for now.

I can't say I'm surprised that Eiken sells well, it's like it and Garzey's Wing are the two greatest joke titles you could have in your collection (I've only got one of these two, so far). But at the same time "Eiken sells?"
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
First of all, got the first season of The Wire from the library, started it, love it so far. Thanks for prompting me to finally check it out!

The fansub debate parallels partisan politics? Wow, that makes a lot of sense. In both situations, I often feel like I'm trying to stake out a middle position between extremists on either side. And yeah, I was originally going to try to engage with that chat, but as I was posting a whole page sprang up. I mean...damn.

Don't American DVD producers give out figures on their DVD sales? Why can't anime companies do the same? I'd love to know just how well Baccano! did, to know what kind of chance, say, DRRR!! has of getting licensed. But why not give regular updates on like "top five/ten sellers" or whatever? We get DVD rankings from Japan, having a comparison to America would be swell (or to whatever country you might like, international community).

Evangelion 1.01, also got that in from the library. I will probably watch it tomorrow night and finally have an opinion on the reboot, having been a very good young lady and waited until it was available legally.

...skipping stuff... okay, actually, none of the rest of this interests me as much. Not to knock Media Blasters per se (I own all of Twelve Kingdoms and will probably buy Moribito in the near future), but honestly, those are the only titles of yours I've ever seen or particularly want to. Maybe I'll have a hundred people telling me how silly I am and recommending a dozen of your titles, I don't know. Feel free to go ahead, folks.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
At our last employee meeting, the company decided to show off a new approach to dealing with patients which many hospitals are now adapting. This approach is simply called "Apologize".

The case study we watched involved a hospital in Pennsylvania after a new CEO took over. The first thing the CEO did was re-write the policy to make it a top priority to apologize for mistakes. Of course, the legal department had an issue with this, so to rectify the situation, the CEO fired the attorneys and stated if anyone else had objections, there's the door.

The hospital saw a staggering 74% reduction in lawsuits in five years. Yeah, shocking. The CEO stated the reason why many people filed lawsuits wasn't because of money, but because of the cold shoulder they received leaving them no other option but to sue.

The point of this is simply: I agree 100% with Zac's opinion the industry should open up to fans and get rid of this speculation bull. I'd love to know if a series I invested in will have a second season or not, or if one I'm interested in at this time needs assistance in order to remain profitable.

I've no idea why companies feel there's no reason to announce bad news but waste no time in doing so to stockholders (if they have them). Color me confused with this one.

At any rate, I don't see things changing anytime soon, so when another person writes a blog to decry the death of anime, expect another 50+ pages of people needing to vent because they certainly can't sue these companies.

A little information does make a big difference.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
-I was mentioned (indirectly), along with "that V for Vendetta Evangelion guy". Hooray!
-I was already looking forward to Death Kappa. Now I find out Hideaki Anno's in it? Hoorayl!
-Nickelodeon was furious at Media Blasters' success with Invader Zim? Hooray!
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I have that Guts Plushie, it's awesome.
I want to see Death Kappa now...
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Meredith hit the mark so squarely.

About a decade ago before high speed internet (or any internet, for that matter) it used to be much harder to find pretty much anything, and when you did find something it was rare, cool, and a great treat to show at anime clubs who'd then trade for other cool and rare stuff, and so on. Even if a show was crap (Happy Lesson, anyone?), it still felt kinda special to watch because it was rare.

Nowadays there's very little discovery beyond google. The thrill of the hunt is gone, and the anime clubs and conventions are just places to get together while shows that everyone's already seen play on people's laptops.

Tis the way of progress, I suppose...
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't bought Twelve Kingdoms I recommend it to fans from Media Blasters. I think of it as a true masterpiece of the genre xD
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac: All you need to know about Seto no Hanayome (My Bride is a Mermaid) is that it's a crazy parody show, but it's also a crazy parody show that rather frequently changes its animation to match the parody.

For instance, just watch the first minute or so of this episode. That kind of zany parody is what the show is for... and personally, I love it.

Still listening to the rest of the podcast...
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
My Bride is A mermaid has the Terminator in a school girl outfit how the hell can you hate a show that awesome! That show is simply amazing, I mean it's mermaid yakuza running a school. It's probably my favorite school comedy, and rivals Magical Project S, and Excel Saga as my favorite comedy.

co-sing My Bride is a mermaid was great in my opinion.
xstylus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
If you haven't bought Twelve Kingdoms I recommend it to fans from Media Blasters. I think of it as a true masterpiece of the genre xD

Yes, it is... so long as you stop at the second-to-last episode. Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
I do agree on Bondage Game as being the most horrifying thing I've seen in anime, it's just so depressing. Failing that, not much else has really phased me.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Thanks for another fun and informative podcast, look forward to them every week. Also don't be so quick to judge My Bride is a Mermaid, its actually pretty good.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do agree on Bondage Game as being the most horrifying thing I've seen in anime, it's just so depressing. Failing that, not much else has really phased me.

same for me, seriously I've a lot of dark hentai and I've never finished feeling good, but I've also never finished feeling less human like I did with Bondage Game.

Anyway, great podcast as usually.

Eiken, I won't lie. I somewhat enjoyed Eiken in an un-ironic way. I'll be the first to admit that it's a terrible show, but when I saw that cover I knew what to expect and got just that. It's a speed up ecchi series that catered to a particular festish (mines Embarassed ).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8