• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Aniplex, FUNimation, and Viz Media. I'm looking forward to what they got to give us! (especially Viz! I'm really a Viz fanboy). Smile

I think Aniplex might actually announce a release date for Durarara!!

I think Angel Beats! has a better chance. Not a matter of quality though, just general audience reception.

Yeah, except Durarara's already been picked up, AND there's a US release trailer for it...
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Aniplex, FUNimation, and Viz Media. I'm looking forward to what they got to give us! (especially Viz! I'm really a Viz fanboy). Smile

I think Angel Beats! has a better chance. Not a matter of quality though, just general audience reception.

Yeah, except Durarara's already been picked up, AND there's a US release trailer for it...

Link? All I see on the ANN page is Crunchyroll's licensing rights.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
configspace wrote:
kyokun703 wrote:
Fri:
Geneon Universal 10:00 (not sure what this is about)

hmm.. could be about Geneon US rising from the dead?? Well, I guess they were never completely dead to begin with since all the licenses Funi is distributing still belongs to them, right? (Black Lagoon, Shana, etc)?

No.

No no no no no. No. This panel is not about Geneon USA coming back. That will never happen.

This panel is akin to Aniplex USA's panels where they show trailers from properties they have on the air in Japan.

Even so, maybe this means some of the properties that have been stuck in licensing limbo *cough* Hellsing Ultimate *cough* can be resurrected and the dubbing process began...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
John Casey wrote:

No details are available yet, but at the time Beez announced the UK license they indicated that it would be getting a sub-only release in the US as well, and there was a trailer indicating it was coming to the US on Aniplex's Gurren Lagann Movie DVD

http://twitter.com/ukanime/status/14967164711
http://www.mania.com/durarara-darker-black-season-2-going-to-aniplex_article_123417.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:

Yeah, I forgot that there was a US release trailer out for Durarara!! I'm really looking forward to picking it up! Very Happy
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
John Casey wrote:

No details are available yet, but at the time Beez announced the UK license they indicated that it would be getting a sub-only release in the US as well, and there was a trailer indicating it was coming to the US on Aniplex's Gurren Lagann Movie DVD

http://twitter.com/ukanime/status/14967164711
http://www.mania.com/durarara-darker-black-season-2-going-to-aniplex_article_123417.html

Shiroi Hane, you are my Anime Hero (or my Baka Ranger. Did that come out right? o.O). O_O
*look at link* Aniplex has Darker Than Black Season 2?! It's war! FUNimation vs. Aniplex! (No. Not really, Anime hyper).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
*look at link* Aniplex has Darker Than Black Season 2?! It's war! FUNimation vs. Aniplex! (No. Not really, Anime hyper).

There are a few possible scenarios here, e.g.
Aniplex never offered it to FUNimation for some reason.
It was offered to them but they turned it down (too expensive? First series performed badly for them?)
FUNimation actually are releasing it, but since it is still an Aniplex property they're advertising it on their DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm still hoping for the third option with Durarara!!, personally. It just feels wrong for someone other than Funi to distribute it over here, given its relationship with Baccano!

EDIT:
Ugh. Good point.

Last edited by Takeyo on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Durarara!! is almost certainly being released directly by Aniplex - if Beez are to be believed about the US release not having a dub then there is very little chance of it coming from FUNimation. I was thinking Bandai was also a possiblity, but in that case is should have come out at their panel.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Tokyopop panel is going right now/just ended... I wonder if they picked anything neat up? Even though it IS Tokyopop, any license/rescue is welcome!
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

No.

No no no no no. No. This panel is not about Geneon USA coming back. That will never happen.

This panel is akin to Aniplex USA's panels where they show trailers from properties they have on the air in Japan.
Correct. Geneon USA is long dead.

But this COULD mean that Geneon/Denstu NBCUniversal Japan may be preparing to unveil a brand new R1 label!!!! Geneon may be reborn under "Denstu USA".

Also, considering the successful growth of Section23 I wonder if they'll have a panel scheduled soon at AX 2010.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
With all the announcements coming out of Anime Expo, I wonder what they are going to be doing at Otakon. Evil West Coast getting all the good stuff.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
Woohoo!!! I got my "release date" from Aniplex about Durarara!! January 2011 here I come! I'm going to continue saving my money up until the time comes to pre-order Durarara!!

Now, Viz, my favorite company, please don't let me down!!! Hit them all hard with some awesome anime and some HIGH QUALITY MANGA!!! >_>
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Woohoo!!! I got my "release date" from Aniplex about Durarara!! January 2011 here I come! I'm going to continue saving my money up until the time comes to pre-order Durarara!!

Now, Viz, my favorite company, please don't let me down!!! Hit them all hard with some awesome anime and some HIGH QUALITY MANGA!!! >_>

The only thing I expect from viz is them announcing a bunch of manga license and then maybe "maybe" a few anime licenses with one never getting released, the other getting canceled after the first boxset/volume, and the other one being released yearly.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
But this COULD mean that Geneon/Denstu NBCUniversal Japan may be preparing to unveil a brand new R1 label!!!! Geneon may be reborn under "Denstu USA".

Dentsu USA already exists and since Dentsu sold most of their interest in Geneon to Universal they have little to nothing to do with each other these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3