• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
You can expect QUALITY subs from Nozomi too. There's no such thing as "glorified fansubs". It's like some people here have never watched a foreign film. Would you only download those unless they have an English dub? Question
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Anyway, what was so bad about this was that it came right after episode 7 which was spoiler[absolutely ruthless in its depiction of the destruction of war with all the blood and hallucinations and whatnot. It was so jarring to straight back to "lol she wants to pee" after that horrific sight.]

It's hardly "to [go?] straight back to" when the episodes are a week apart, and some people feel that drama needs to be offset with something a little lighter (especially given where the story headed off to the following episode). The episode wasn't entirely about needing to get to the bathroom (that was just a small element of it). I didn't see it as a case of ""lol she wants to pee"", but rather that she took her job seriously, and didn't want to be the one to cause issues with HQ during the one time a year that HQ pays any attention to their outpost.
I wouldn't say "it's hardly [jarring?] to go straight back to" because episode 7 provided a pivotal turn in the mood of the series. Sure, the previous episodes, and in the setting of the story itself there were signs of spoiler[an apocalyptic setting, what with Kanata and the other young private stumbling upon what was the remains of Japanese school, as well as there being talk of how many wildlife had died], but we didn't really see that until episode 7. And you know what? I wouldn't have minded episode 8 with all its troubles, if Kanata spoiler[hadn't gone and pissed herself]. But after that it was purely appealing to weird fetishes out there and no longer about her duty.
fxg97873

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Utena. YES!
Still my #2 anime after 15 years worth of other anime watchings.
Now if they only hurried up in Japan with a BD release...
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I've heard lots of great things about Utena over the years, so I hope to give it a looksee now.

Question though - how's the dub? Considering it was CPM...I'll...keep my expectations low... *looks at DNA2 and the YYH movie*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Aside its appealing premise and production values, there is something else that excites me about the news regarding So-ra-no-Wo-to.

Now that it has been licensed for physical distribution, I can now rest safe in the knowledge that Crunchyroll is not merely the place to which series are cosigned if they aren't sufficiently popular for a DVD release. At least in the case of the title in question, no longer must I worry about never being able to display any appreciation for the series that continued viewing may cause, and can thus preview some more of it through the current means provided. (By "display", I have my shelf in mind.)
Such worries prevented me from advancing beyond the first episode, I shall admit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS! Utena! Yes! I just finished watching this series the other day and it was so awesome I was dying to buy it, so this news is amazing timing for me. Ah, so happy Very Happy
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

Question though - how's the dub? Considering it was CPM...I'll...keep my expectations low... *looks at DNA2 and the YYH movie*

It's pretty hit or miss, more miss than hit. I really like Utena's dub voice, but can't stand Anthy's. I seem to recall most of the dub being bearable at the time, but I don't know how well it holds up today.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
poehitman wrote:
I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release.

It's more than just "glorified" when it comes with a box, multiple pieces of cover art, fairly extensive liner-notes, and much of the on-disc extras from the R2 DVDs. I look forward to seeing what extras Nozomi includes with their set. If I like an anime, I want to purchase a quality product, and Nozomi is one of the few companies that gives us such (NISA is on the right track, especially after their decision to redo the discs of their initial releases). Funi, ADV, and (generally) Bandai are doing the bare minimums to get their releases out the door, and I can't get excited about that. They're operating just one step above the fansub releases, and Nozomi is miles ahead. Viz is probably the worst of them these days. The only thing that would make me happier would be for Nozomi to go for a Soranowoto BD release, but I'll willingly triple-dip for that in the future.

Quote:
I have more faith in a fansubbers ability to translate than I do for the "official" subbers. The fansubbers usually have the better quality.

I don't know that fansubbers have better quality, but there are a couple of (legal) translators out there that I'm less enthusiastic about than others. I also like to see the creators of a show that I enjoy get paid for their product, and the fansubbers don't help with that.

Quote:
It's been quite a while since RS/Nozomi did an original dub.

As long as they produce the quality products that they've been giving us, I won't be overly concerned about a lack of an extra like a dub. Aria, Emma, and MariMite have had outstanding releases. I've yet to start their Gakuen Alice set.

Stuff like "a box, multiple pieces of cover art, fairly extensive liner-notes, and much of the on-disc extras from the R2 DVDs" don't matter to me. I can buy dvd cases in bulk and print out cover art on the same paper that's used for DVD covers (They sell it at Staples). Liner notes I don't care about and most on-disc extras are just the creditless OP and ED sequences which I can also download, even though they also are worthless to me. The other extras I see on discs I buy are interviews (which I never watch, hence also worthless) and trailers for other anime. RARELY is there something interesting.

I also don't consider a dub as an "extra". It's my primary reason for purchasing a DVD. If it doesn't have a dub, I'm not buying it. I have to live on my Social Security Disability income, so I have to be EXTREMELY picky with what I do by, since I have limited funds. So if it doesn't have a dub, I'll stick with fansubs.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Question: Since you have already admitted to just downloading the fansubs, why wouldn't you just download the dual audio DVD rip instead of buying the product?

It's obvious that ownership of the product and supporting its creators isn't any of your concern, regardless if you like the show or not.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Question: Since you have already admitting to just downloading things, why wouldn't you just download the dual audio DVD rip instead of buying the product?

I don't usually do that, but sometimes I do. But if I can get a series I like at a good price, I prefer to own the official dub release. I have an 2 entire bookcases full of anime DVD's. At least half of them are the official releases. Personally I love going to Big Lots and buying the $3 anime dvd's they get in occasionally. The problem with buying them there is they hardly ever have the ENTIRE series of an anime. I buy what they have and then I'll download what I'm missing to create a custom DVD for the missing volumes. If they get in one of the DVD's I'm missing, I'll buy it and toss my custom dvd. I won't pay more than $10 for a volume of anime. Even that is a bit overpriced for me, which is why I LOVE Big Lots.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Oh noes, sub only

Okay, we get it, you don't want to buy 'glorified fansubs.' You keep stating it over and over again that you hate Nozomi, and you hate sub-only disks. So why waste your time, and ours by repeatedly coming in here and trashing a company that has a very devoted fanbase? Go watch your precious fansubs, and leave the rest of us to be happy about the new Nozomi licenses.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Oh noes, sub only

Okay, we get it, you don't want to buy 'glorified fansubs.' You keep stating it over and over again that you hate Nozomi, and you hate sub-only disks. So why waste your time, and ours by repeatedly coming in here and trashing a company that has a very devoted fanbase? Go watch your precious fansubs, and leave the rest of us to be happy about the new Nozomi licenses.

The Utena DVDs are going to have a dub, so why are you even having this conversation with him?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he cares about Utena, but rather it's about that other show that got licensed, ya know, Sora no Woto.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quark wrote:
poehitman wrote:
Oh noes, sub only

The Utena DVDs are going to have a dub, so why are you even having this conversation with him?

Apparantly So-ra-no-Wo-to isn't getting a dub, which has led to his complaining about the no dub. But, going by the fact that half his 'collection' is burned disks, and he won't buy anything over $10, he probably wouldn't have bought the series anyway.
You're right though, I should have ignored it, and instead focused on the awesome news of finally being able to get my hands on a complete set of remastered Utena, and So-ra-no-Wo-to (which I have no clue about, but will buy, because Nozomi rocks my socks)
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
My problem isn't just with Sora no Woto. It's with Nozomi, which used to be a good company that did original dubs, but has degenerated into a company that only does rehashes of old dubs and glorified fansub releases. They ruin a title from possibly having a dub down the road by licensing it and releasing it as a glorified fansub. Nozomi isn't going to license it to someone else to dub it because it would eat into their glorified fansub dvd sales since the dub would also have a sub-only track. I cringe when I hear Nozomi has licensed an anime I love because I know they just killed any chance of that anime ever getting a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10