• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Don't get too full of yourself, Polly SnW had just as much useless moe garbage as K-On. An episode should not be about a girl wanting to take a piss.

I thought of SnW as "CLEAN" ... a Canticle for Liebowitz's Extremely Adorable Nieces. From the character designs I figured it was probably a bit of cotton candy, and while its definitely more sugar coated than necessary, I was pleasantly surprised that it was more than just that.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I am glad Utena will now be available to people for less than $500-600. I got lucky and got mine (new!) well before it became so hard to find, but I have known many others not as lucky.

I do hope they keep the original dub too and release it on these discs, it was quite hilarious to watch.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
As an aside though, I remember Justin saying that no one should get their hopes up about Utena, as there was something big preventing it from being licensed.

I think he said that about Sailor Moon, not Utena. But I could be wrong...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quark wrote:
As an aside though, I remember Justin saying that no one should get their hopes up about Utena, as there was something big preventing it from being licensed.

He said it about both titles, but that there was "faint hope" for Utena.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quark wrote:

I think the general consensus was that Utena is too old for anyone to care about these days. Luckily we got ourselves anime companies like Nozomi that specifically target small niche audiences.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

I thought of SnW as "CLEAN" ... a Canticle for Liebowitz's Extremely Adorable Nieces.

You just sold me on the series; A Canticle for Leibowitz is one of my favorite books. (It's also nice to know it isn't just cute girls running around doing cute things for 13 cute episodes.)
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Nozomi! Now I can finally get Utena! O_O Now if only they'll relicense Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I am glad Utena will now be available to people for less than $500-600. I got lucky and got mine (new!) well before it became so hard to find, but I have known many others not as lucky.

I do hope they keep the original dub too and release it on these discs, it was quite hilarious to watch.

The performances in Utena's dub were rather good. The only one who falters imo is the VA for Anthy.
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Utena get rereleased. This is one of the earlier anime titles that I never got around to seeing. Now I'll have another chance.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Hardgear wrote:

The performances in Utena's dub were rather good. The only one who falters imo is the VA for Anthy.

You think so? To me it seems that Touga's VA was the only one who was taking it seriously. I did watch it all the way through dubbed though, so I guess that says something.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wow, dat Utena. That might be worth a buy. We know Zac's gonna be buying that, he said so in a thread long long ago.

How long ago?

Anyway, both series don't interest me in the least, but oh well. Nozomi did license and dub Captain Tyler, so it's all good. And the dub was awesome as well.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow. So much great news these past couple of days!

I wonder if BD is an option for Nozomi. Given the number of new series that are actually seeing HD R1 releases, I may have to start thinking about moving away from DVDs.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Never seen either of these but I was thinking about trying soranowoto the other day and expected that I'd never have a chance to Utena. Nozomi seems to have a lot of their releases on Netflix so I'll wait until they show up there to try it.
And also, HA, another CR title that's getting an R1 release AND it's from a company that almost never streams their stuff (actually, I can' think of any streams that Nozomi has for their stuff on any site).

Northlander wrote:

Unless Viz got dibs on it due to also having the manga, I would also love to see Natsume Yuujinchou/Book of Friends get a DVD box release too.

That's what I've been wondering myself, Natsume seems right up Nozomi's alley and if they're willing to license other stuff from CR then I still have my fingers crossed.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Don't get too full of yourself Polly, SnW had just as much useless moe garbage as K-On.

Not even close. Want to try again?
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
gosh darnit it all Anime hyper
I just spent the last month trying to collect all of CPM's Utena discs (before, I just had bootlegs I got as gift)

oh well. This is still fantastic news. now no one has any excuse not to buy it and watch it. Its a phenomenal series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10