• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, way to go Nozomi. ^^ There's going to be a lot of sales your way for these titles.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT! I've wanting Utena for ages and almost pulled the trigger for all three at $125, but (un)fortunately, I was a little short. I hope Rightstuf goes all the way and puts these in chipboards since I've heard El Hazard is in a keepcase.

OK, lets go through my checklist
K-ON check
High School of the Dead check
Utena check
Black Lagoon check

These last few days have absurdly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Anthy either, or Nanamy. They both just came across as overly obnoxious to me.

Nanami was the only character out of the dub I can call perfect in my opinion. I don't know if they made her that flakey/fake/obnoxious on purpose or the actress was just like that, but it seriously added some awesome humor to Nanami that the original Japanese seiyuu never gave me. I still chuckle at the memory of the whole "A Mongoose! She keeps a mongoose in her desk!" Bit. And then the cow, "big brother!", etc...

Dub Nanami was the best out of the whole dub cast in my opinion. I can laugh at her all day.

I can't get the migraines to stop long enough to cry.. LOL

But everybody has different opinions on dubs, and I still like this one overall.

Yes, but one can argue that Nanami is SUPPOSED to cause migraines. Cool

Then she did her job well! LOL
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow! UTENA!!! happy dance! I am so into the old school bizarreness. Definite buy for me.

Also will be buying second Junjou set and Antique Bakery.

So-ra-no-Wo-to I saw simulcasted on CR. meh. Unlikely to really want to watch it again. Still Nozomi, three sales out of four titles is pretty darn good!!
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I still have and treasure my CPM set of Utena, but it's wonderful to hear that Right Stuf is keeping this series alive and from fading away. Of course, I'd get Soranowoto in a heartbeat; the overall series turned out to be just as lovely as its opening theme song
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 pm Reply with quote
YESS. Remastered Utena is gonna rock. Thanks to Nozomi for releasing this.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news about Revolutionary Girl Utena in particular. I'll definitely order it when the time comes.

Not much else I can say about the rest, but that alone is more than enough good news for me. Smile
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of Utena, but I'm glad those people who like it are going to have the chance to get the classic series remastered.

I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release. I have more faith in a fansubbers ability to translate than I do for the "official" subbers. The fansubbers usually have the better quality.

It's been quite a while since RS/Nozomi did an original dub.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
i hope this also includes the rights to the movie as well.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Don't get too full of yourself Polly, SnW had just as much useless moe garbage as K-On. An episode should not be about a girl wanting to take a piss.

Yep, leave it to Japan to make an entire episode about that. Though compared to I've seen in the last decade, that isn't even slightly odd.

Just out of plain curiosity, what episode was that? I can't imagine a entire episode about that. Unless it was from Shin Chan.

Around seven or eight. The episode had about four minutes of amazing where they explain the surroundings, but most of it is about a girl wanting to pee. It's not a huge part of the episode, but it is big enough to be annoying.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:32 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:

I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release.

Aww, come on calling Right stuf/Nozomi releases glorified fansubs? I find that a little unfair, though I only have one release from them (Gakuen Alice) it came in a wonderful sturdy box complete with lots of original art for the thin pak DVDs and also extras as well. I do know that some sub only releases are, well what you've gotten from your computer screen (though legal...) but Rightstuf, I've found, goes above and beyond on making the purchase worth it. Maybe that's just my opinion but then again I bristle at the phrase 'glorified fansub'.

Anyway, I've always been curious about Utena, maybe I'll ask my sister if she knows about it or seen it first. And for Sora no Woto, I watched some of it, got pretty bored, but I LOVED the visuals. Man, if Rightstuf produced lithographs from that show (focusing more on the awesome background visuals and less on the K-on influenced art style) then I would probably get behind that more.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
And for Sora no Woto, I watched some of it, got pretty bored, but I LOVED the visuals. Man, if Rightstuf produced lithographs from that show (focusing more on the awesome background visuals and less on the K-on influenced art style) then I would probably get behind that more.

As a sometime fan of Gustav Klimt, I'd really like to see prints of the artwork used for the opening for Sora no Woto.

And I think Nozomi glorifies very well.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Utena, but I'm glad those people who like it are going to have the chance to get the classic series remastered.

I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release. I have more faith in a fansubbers ability to translate than I do for the "official" subbers. The fansubbers usually have the better quality.

Right Stuf's dub for 2x2 Shonobuden was [expletive] great.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:

I figured we would get one of these people eventually.

I like how you mention you trust the "fansubbers" more to give you higher quality. I didn't realize you were so fluent in Japanese that you could tell the difference between an good and a poor translation. But if that's the case, then why don't you just watch it raw?

Anyway, I also find that claim as a lot of the people subbing official anime releases these days got their start doing fansubs. So if you have "faith" in them, then there shouldn't be an issue.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
poehitman wrote:

Right Stuf's dub for 2x2 Shonobuden was [expletive] great.

That was a few years back. I believe their last new dub was The Third, and that was technically a Kadokowa title they were distributing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10