• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf's Nozomi Adds So-ra-no-Wo-to, Utena TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the Utena remasters! It's a series I heard of long ago but have never seen. And I know Nozomi will put out a great release.

I don't know too much of Sora no Woto either, but I am interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:48 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Don't get too full of yourself Polly, SnW had just as much useless moe garbage as K-On. An episode should not be about a girl wanting to take a piss.

Yep, leave it to Japan to make an entire episode about that. Though compared to I've seen in the last decade, that isn't even slightly odd.

Heh, Seinfeld popularized that more than a decade ago. Razz

Utena is not as weird as some of the things its director (and Sailor Moon ex-director, hence the vestige) Ikuhara says about it. Laughing
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Sign me up for the Utena DVD's, I've been looking for a chance to get some.

Are they going to redub Utena or will it maintain it's CPM dub? I gotta admit, I 'really' have become accustomed to Rachael Lillis voicing Utena.

They say they are using the same dub.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this announcement. I've loved Utena since I was 12. I still have my old Vol 1 VHS. I was eventually going to fork over the cash to get the old CPM DVDs, but decided to hold out for it to be rescued. I'm glad I did. This release is going to be exiting! I wonder if it'll have the same special features as the CPM DVDs (interviews with the English voice cast, director commentary for final episode, etc). I personally have no problem with the dub. If the Japanese director approves of it (which he does, he supervised the production of the movie dub), then it's good (he even named his car, "Rachel" after Rachel Lillis). But it's a shame Nozomi hasn't picked up the movie. At least I could probably find the old release fairly cheap.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm happy that they haven't picked up the movie yet. The less of that "car" I see, the better.

Looking forward to watching Utena again and will probably pick up Sora no Woto as well.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
Sora no Woto was quite the disappointment for me, although I may pick it up just because it's Nozomi releasing it. I don't normally double dip on my releases, but I just may spring for their release of Utena. I got the originals for cheap a long time back during one of Right Stuf's sales, but if the quality is better on the remasters, then I may have to give them a buy.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I got the originals for cheap a long time back during one of Right Stuf's sales, but if the quality is better on the remasters, then I may have to give them a buy.

Believe me, it will be vastly superior. I've seen comparisons. The remastered version boasts cleaned up animation, better color fidelity and sharpness, and even includes a small amount of new/updated footage.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
Utena remasters? I'm so re-buying this.

Sailor S wrote:
I got the originals for cheap a long time back during one of Right Stuf's sales, but if the quality is better on the remasters, then I may have to give them a buy.

For the first 13 episodes, I'd say it's a definite re-buy. I'm not much of a videophile (in fact, not at all), but, boy, were those some piss poor VHS transfers. Their is no way for the video not to be better. And with the exception of Crispin Freeman, I thought the dub was bad. It got decent towards the end though. Too bad we're not getting a re-dub. Along with better video, we'll get better chapter breaks, better episode selection screen and better subtitle font. Dear Lord, I thought CPM wanted to make me go blind. The Black Rose and Apocalypse arcs DVDs were done much better.

Sora no Woto looks like something I'll be picking up, also.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
I already have the entire series and the movie, but it will be nice to get the remastered version; the video quality of the CPM version was so bad. I hope Utena will be re-dubbed and there will be a Limited Edition release that includes the soundtracks.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote
Utena. My anime wet dream has come true. Finally a QUALITY product is coming to our shores. FUNi can keep all of it's market congesting crap. This is the good stuff.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
poehitman wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Utena, but I'm glad those people who like it are going to have the chance to get the classic series remastered.

I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release. I have more faith in a fansubbers ability to translate than I do for the "official" subbers. The fansubbers usually have the better quality.

It's been quite a while since RS/Nozomi did an original dub.

I figured we would get one of these people eventually.

I like how you mention you trust the "fansubbers" more to give you higher quality. I didn't realize you were so fluent in Japanese that you could tell the difference between an good and a poor translation. But if that's the case, then why don't you just watch it raw?

Anyway, I also find that claim as a lot of the people subbing official anime releases these days got their start doing fansubs. So if you have "faith" in them, then there shouldn't be an issue.

The last sub-only release from a US company I watched was Polyphonica (Season 1). They screwed up a main character's name throughout the ENTIRE SERIES. Phoron nickname for Corticarte is "Cortie" and they sub it as "Coatie". When the "professional" subbers can't even get the damn name of a MAIN CHARACTER right and the fansubbers do, I'll trust the fansubbers. I don't need to be fluent in Japanese to know a character's name.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
jr: You'll be waitin' a decade before LOGH happens.

wal: Manga brought over WoH first, so you never know.

Quark:
Quote:
As an aside though, I remember Justin saying that no one should get their hopes up about Utena, as there was something big preventing it from being licensed. I'm still a little curious as to what that was, and glad that Justin was wrong about this one (sorry, Justin)

Probably the licensing fee and the Japanese end's reverse-importation-phobia bs. CPM had enough trouble getting out the last third of the series, even when they had the rights to it.

Hardgear:
Quote:
I think the general consensus was that Utena is too old for anyone to care about these days.

I saw some younger Utena cosplayers @ AX , so I doubt that.

chrisb:
Quote:
The movie is very cheap even new so it's ok they didn't license that.

Um, the movie sums up what's so appealing about the series.

littlegreenwolf:
Quote:
There was nothing like it when it came out, and nothing has come close since.

I dig Utena, but just the sound-track alone is inspired by prog-rock. It did show up Anno, though, so that was enough for me.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Utena really doesn't do much for me-I have the movie and watched a few episodes of the tv series and it was like "So-what's supposed to be the big deal here-this is boreing as hell". I'll but some subbed only releases-such as You're Under Arrest second season and Full Throttle-but for other stuff such as Clannad-I stuck with fansubs until it was released dubbed.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I bought CPM's Utena boxsets back when they were still in print, but I'll gladly double-dip on a release with remastered video, all eyecatches and episode previews and NO HARD SUBTITLES.

Thank you, Nozomi, and I hope you'll license-rescue the original Patlabor OVA, too. It's impossible to find CPM's release for a reasonable price nowadays.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I find it hard to get excited about any RS/Nozomi release because it's either going to be a re-hash of an already dubbed series, or a sub-only (glorified fansub) release.

It's more than just "glorified" when it comes with a box, multiple pieces of cover art, fairly extensive liner-notes, and much of the on-disc extras from the R2 DVDs. I look forward to seeing what extras Nozomi includes with their set. If I like an anime, I want to purchase a quality product, and Nozomi is one of the few companies that gives us such (NISA is on the right track, especially after their decision to redo the discs of their initial releases). Funi, ADV, and (generally) Bandai are doing the bare minimums to get their releases out the door, and I can't get excited about that. They're operating just one step above the fansub releases, and Nozomi is miles ahead. Viz is probably the worst of them these days. The only thing that would make me happier would be for Nozomi to go for a Soranowoto BD release, but I'll willingly triple-dip for that in the future.

Quote:
I have more faith in a fansubbers ability to translate than I do for the "official" subbers. The fansubbers usually have the better quality.

I don't know that fansubbers have better quality, but there are a couple of (legal) translators out there that I'm less enthusiastic about than others. I also like to see the creators of a show that I enjoy get paid for their product, and the fansubbers don't help with that.

Quote:
It's been quite a while since RS/Nozomi did an original dub.

As long as they produce the quality products that they've been giving us, I won't be overly concerned about a lack of an extra like a dub. Aria, Emma, and MariMite have had outstanding releases. I've yet to start their Gakuen Alice set.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Anyway, what was so bad about this was that it came right after episode 7 which was spoiler[absolutely ruthless in its depiction of the destruction of war with all the blood and hallucinations and whatnot. It was so jarring to straight back to "lol she wants to pee" after that horrific sight.]

It's hardly "to [go?] straight back to" when the episodes are a week apart, and some people feel that drama needs to be offset with something a little lighter (especially given where the story headed off to the following episode). The episode wasn't entirely about needing to get to the bathroom (that was just a small element of it). I didn't see it as a case of ""lol she wants to pee"", but rather that she took her job seriously, and didn't want to be the one to cause issues with HQ during the one time a year that HQ pays any attention to their outpost.

Last edited by Ingraman on Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10