• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Alternative Titles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:14 am Reply with quote
Today's memorandum focuses on Alternative Titles. Here's a guide on what to post and what not to post.

What You Can Post as Alternative Titles
1. Official Titles in Other Languages - Just make sure to use official sites to verify them.
2. Literal Translations - Sometimes, the English title doesn't directly translate to the original Japanese title. For example, Kidou Senshi doesn't mean "Mobile Suit;" it means "Mobile Soldier." When posting literal translations, it's not necessary to type [translation] on your entry.
3. Semi-Official Titles - Sometimes when a title isn't licensed yet, an anime magazine will use a title that's a close translation to the Japanese title. For instance, AnimePlay magazine referred to Uchuu no Stellvia as "Cosmic Stellvia" before Geneon acquired the license to the series.

What You Cannot Post
1. Slang or Acronym Titles - Unless they're official, they're an absolute no-no (ex. "NGE" or "EVA" for Neon Genesis Evangelion).
2. Romaji of Titles Already in English - Just because sites like the Internet Movie Database lists them as so doesn't mean they're correct (ex. "Kyûtî Hanî" for Cutie Honey).

What Will Probably Get You Banned if You Post Them
1. "Babelfished" Titles - Taking a title and using translation sites such as AltaVista Babelfish is not only incorrect, but it's unprofessional (ex. "Vida Salvaje" as the Spanish title for Wild Life).
2. Anything not remotely close to a title - This includes fragments of a plot summary, HTML links, etc.

If you find any suspicious titles on the Encyclopedia, submit an error report ASAP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:47 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
What You Cannot Post
1. Slang or Acronym Titles - Unless they're official, they're an absolute no-no (ex. "NGE" or "EVA" for Neon Genesis Evangelion).

A little further explanation on "official" abbreviated titles, particularly in Japanese:

Japanese often shorten a long title to no more than four syllibles. This shortened title is often used for "[This-and-That] Production Committee" to reduce unnecessary length, and is also often used for URL of official websites. Examples are:

KonoMini for Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai
MariMite for Maria-sama ga Miteru
SutePri for Scrapped Princess. Sute (棄て) is "scrapped" or "discarded" in Japanese.

Only then should you submit an abbreviated title as those examples shown above.

BTW, I think it might be the time to collect and revise all memoranda into one single thread and act as the complete guide for entry submission for the Encyclopedia. Suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Just an update on this memorandum:

When posting a literal translation of a title, you are discouraged from adding "[translation]" or "[lit. translation]" to your entry. This does not mean your entry is wrong; the tag just clashes with other Encyclopedia entries.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1