• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Digital Manga Publishing Industry Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Demon City Shinjuku in English! This news has made my day. Yes, Kikuchi writes pulp, but damned if I don't enjoy some quality pulp when it's available.

Plus this means I'll finally have additional material to use with the Demon City Shinjuku BESM source book.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Lots of double volume releases, sounds like a decent idea to me and I hope it works out.
And that was interesting to see that the translators would probably retain some of the rights to their translations, but I can see a lot of people complaining about scanlators having legal rights to their work (if they do use fans as well as professionals).
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited to see Border get licensed. I hope it gets put out quickly. We need more good Kazuma Kodaka in English. I was hoping to hear more BL licensing news, but maybe they're holding all the big announcements for Yaoi-Con.
Alucalb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Volume 5 of Hideyuki Kikuchi and Saiko Takaki's Vampire Hunter D manga adaptation will also come out in winter 2010.

The DMP site says 5 comes out July 23. Did you mean volume 6, perhaps?
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Did DMP really say Kizuna would be 5 volumes in English? The Japanese release was 5 doubled volumes and then a rerelease of volume 11 separately.

Also, I forgot to fangirl about it before, but Kusatta got licensed?! That's astonishing. That series is as old as the genre itself! It's wonderful, yes, but I am shocked DMP is taking a shot at it, especially with how long it is.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Also, I forgot to fangirl about it before, but Kusatta got licensed?! That's astonishing. That series is as old as the genre itself! It's wonderful, yes, but I am shocked DMP is taking a shot at it, especially with how long it is.
While I already expressed my large-fonted delight about this particular license in the other thread, I am so thrilled by this news that I can't help but fangirl a bit in this one too. Needless to say, I'm also quite excited about finally seeing (and, well, re-buying) all those rescue titles (VF, Kizuna, and the DQ-licensed-but-never-published Tyrant). But Kusatta (Bad Teacher's Equation) is the big and very, very pleasant surprise for me. And two volumes a pop! That's it, it's officially time to buy another bookshelf now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Question: on June 8th, Viz Media, Vertical, Tokyopop, Tuttle-Mori Agency, and Yen Press joined together in a "Multi-National Manga Anti-Piracy Coalition"

Is Digital Manga going to join this coalition?

If not, why? What steps is Digital Manga taking to stop scanlation piracy?

While I'm on the topic, are other publishers Udon Entertainment or Seven Seas going to join this coalition? And if not why not?
Cait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Question: on June 8th, Viz Media, Vertical, Tokyopop, Tuttle-Mori Agency, and Yen Press joined together in a "Multi-National Manga Anti-Piracy Coalition"

If not, why? What steps is Digital Manga taking to stop scanlation piracy?

While I'm on the topic, are other publishers Udon Entertainment or Seven Seas going to join this coalition? And if not why not?

My best guess is no, DMP is not joining the coalition, as they were not even aware of it when it was announced last month. They're taking their own steps to "combat scanlations," including their new endeavor to potentially work "with" scanlators on a new digital-only venture. The coalition doesn't really need them to get the aggregators "taken care of" and who knows how much DMP can actively invest in such a coalition being that they themselves are a very small fish in the pond. Hopefully the coalitions efforts will solve at least some of the problem for all the publishers, not just their own little group.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote
Alucalb wrote:
Quote:
Volume 5 of Hideyuki Kikuchi and Saiko Takaki's Vampire Hunter D manga adaptation will also come out in winter 2010.

The DMP site says 5 comes out July 23. Did you mean volume 6, perhaps?

Pretty sure they said 5, and I did ask Yoko Tanigaki to look over the whole report before I sent it in and she said everything was right. If I get a chance I'll swing by the booth and double-check, but as I recall DMP's site was often a bit slow to update, at least when I was using it more a few years ago. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't expect 'Demon City' novels to ever make it here. This is good news.

Oh doesn't anyone know who DMP is connected to. Are they part of 'Dark Horse' or are they a sole entity?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Probably not.

Quote:
If not, why?

You have to stick to your role when playing good cop, bad cop, or it doesn't work.

Quote:
What steps is Digital Manga taking to stop scanlation piracy?

The "offering a legit alternative" step.
Cait

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wow, I didn't expect 'Demon City' novels to ever make it here. This is good news.

Oh doesn't anyone know who DMP is connected to. Are they part of 'Dark Horse' or are they a sole entity?

They have a relationship with Dark Horse that goes back many years and co-publish a number of titles with them, including Berserk, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D. They are not, however, a division of Dark Horse.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
I went by DMP's booth and confirmed, VHD manga #5 has been pushed back to winter.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

They have a relationship with Dark Horse that goes back many years and co-publish a number of titles with them, including Berserk, Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D. They are not, however, a division of Dark Horse.

Ah ok. Thanks for that tidbit. I think that might have been the reason why I thought they were a division of DH.
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
Demon City Shinjiku novel licensed? YES.
Please license the Wicked City novel so I can know if the novel was just as crazy as that anime movie Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1