• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Indecent Expo-sure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

RELAX, before you blow a gasket. I was playing around, hence poking fun at Brian's dying computer.

Always better late than never. :)

Uh, what? I was just explaining why it was late.

'Hey when does the bus get here"

"GEEZ CALM DOWN DUDE"

Probably thought you might be slightly stressed out or something.

One time, I had to deal with a very strange person on a bus. Needless to say, that was the shortest bus rides I had that year.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Pants wrote:
Afro Samurai won an Emmy. You might want to mention that.

And it was (1) an American/Japanese co-production and (2) utterly horrible.

Loved the guy talking about how great Japanese releases are compared to American ones because they don't have blurbs trying to get you to buy something. This works from the assumption that people only buy things that they're already familiar with through fansubs (and more recently, streaming). While that may be the case frequently enough, basic advertising knowledge should tell you that it's not a bad idea to sell you product, as opposed to assuming everyone already knows about it.

That the blurbs are sometimes horribly inaccurate... well, yeah, that happens sometimes. Still, I'd be curious to see whether the ones in Japanese aren't just as bad if you could actually read them...

It makes sense to have such blurbs if they're on Brick & Mortar shelves, like at Best Buy or whatever. But when was the last time you saw a Nozomi Int. release at Best Buy? And how many people buy $100 Honneamise blu-rays just because they read the blurb on the cover? And all that ad copy is completely unneeded when the disc is bought online, as most niche anime DVDs are. Especially like that Bandai Store-exclusive release of the Gurren Lagann movies.

About three months ago when I bought the Irresponsible Captain Tylor(TV) re-release ;p

'Course it had probably been sitting on the shelves since last May =|

Quote:

Your mention of "basic advertising knowledge" reminds me of something my brother said. He's a hardcore beer connoisseur, you see. And he says "Any sort of beer that has TV advertisements is crap." Basically the reasoning is that true quality beer doesn't need ads to sell, it just sells on quality alone and word-of-mouth. Low-quality mainstream brands get by by selling a "lifestyle" through advertising, and not on the actual quality of the product. The same basic argument applies to anime as well.

Erm ... Sam Adams has TV ads all the time and it's perfectly good beer O_o

Quote:
My point is that to some people there is a large difference in enjoyment between anime (as a generalized and averaged whole) and American TV shows (as a generalized and averaged whole). To them anime (in general) is more valuable, per minute, than American TV shows (in general).

Seriously? That's like trying to justify the single prices for Japanese music. Trying to sell two songs for $15 would be suicide for any company in the U.S.

It's got nothing to do with how much people enjoy it or value it, it's more that they've had that pricing scheme forced on them due to the scale of the businesses involved. American TV shows can sell at muc lower prices because (Duh) they've got more people they can sell their DVDs to.

But because the alternatives in the U.S. are so much cheaper they can't really justify trying to sell 40 minutes of a show for $70. Heck, didn't they try that with Gantz a while ago? I think it was more like $20 for two episodes, and that failed pretty well too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
Hardgear: Just tell her ass that the Pixar people and Leonardo Dicaprio like anime.

vash: Haven't seen the sequel, but it's still an anime, because it's an adaptation of a guy's manga, and not just the U.S. end throwing money at something.

einhorn: Blurbs still mean something. Otherwise, Disney wouldn't be able to sell Pom Poko here. It's just that they don't always guarantee bigger sales.

Quote:
That pricing scheme has obviously worked for Japan for the last 15 years or so.

Their economy didn't suck as badly as it has now, though, or they wouldn't be giving away anime as pack-ins.

Quote:
Because an episode of Soranowoto gives me four times as much pleasure/enjoyment as an episode of True Blood?

To each their own, but that's still too effing expensive.

Quote:
"Do you want mainstream projects with mass appeal to become financially unfeasible, leaving only the niche and hardcore-audience-aimed projects which that business model can support?" To which I'd reply "That doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing to me."

Only if you like moe. Rolling Eyes

laban: I think that pricing scheme worked back when they had advertising revenue to off-set any low sales. I'm not sure it's feasible now.

Crotch:

Quote:
Comparing Tomino to Lucas doesn't make a whole of a lot of sense, considering he actually didn't want to make more Gundam - producers kept wanting him to do it.

Well, Lucas been claiming he's more interested in "small films" for a while now, so...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Pants wrote:
Afro Samurai won an Emmy. You might want to mention that.

And it was (1) an American/Japanese co-production and (2) utterly horrible.

Loved the guy talking about how great Japanese releases are compared to American ones because they don't have blurbs trying to get you to buy something. This works from the assumption that people only buy things that they're already familiar with through fansubs (and more recently, streaming). While that may be the case frequently enough, basic advertising knowledge should tell you that it's not a bad idea to sell you product, as opposed to assuming everyone already knows about it.

That the blurbs are sometimes horribly inaccurate... well, yeah, that happens sometimes. Still, I'd be curious to see whether the ones in Japanese aren't just as bad if you could actually read them...

It makes sense to have such blurbs if they're on Brick & Mortar shelves, like at Best Buy or whatever. But when was the last time you saw a Nozomi Int. release at Best Buy? And how many people buy $100 Honneamise blu-rays just because they read the blurb on the cover? And all that ad copy is completely unneeded when the disc is bought online, as most niche anime DVDs are. Especially like that Bandai Store-exclusive release of the Gurren Lagann movies.

About three months ago when I bought the Irresponsible Captain Tylor(TV) re-release ;p

'Course it had probably been sitting on the shelves since last May =|

Quote:

Your mention of "basic advertising knowledge" reminds me of something my brother said. He's a hardcore beer connoisseur, you see. And he says "Any sort of beer that has TV advertisements is crap." Basically the reasoning is that true quality beer doesn't need ads to sell, it just sells on quality alone and word-of-mouth. Low-quality mainstream brands get by by selling a "lifestyle" through advertising, and not on the actual quality of the product. The same basic argument applies to anime as well.

Erm ... Sam Adams has TV ads all the time and it's perfectly good beer O_o

Quote:
My point is that to some people there is a large difference in enjoyment between anime (as a generalized and averaged whole) and American TV shows (as a generalized and averaged whole). To them anime (in general) is more valuable, per minute, than American TV shows (in general).

Seriously? That's like trying to justify the single prices for Japanese music. Trying to sell two songs for $15 would be suicide for any company in the U.S.

It's got nothing to do with how much people enjoy it or value it, it's more that they've had that pricing scheme forced on them due to the scale of the businesses involved. American TV shows can sell at muc lower prices because (Duh) they've got more people they can sell their DVDs to.

But because the alternatives in the U.S. are so much cheaper they can't really justify trying to sell 40 minutes of a show for $70. Heck, didn't they try that with Gantz a while ago? I think it was more like $20 for two episodes, and that failed pretty well too.

Not sure about the prices for when Gantz was initially released, but it definitely did have the 2 epsiodes per disc. I rented it through Netflix and even then my reaction was "Two episodes? Are they serious?" So I can't imagine that went over with anyone who wanted to buy the show.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
People screamed bloody murder on Gantz, yet with sale price & discounts, I was paying less per ep for the 2 ep dvds than I did for the more acceptable $30 dvds they finished the release with.

My father used to say some people would scream if you hung them with a new rope.

People who complain loudest about the price of a dvd often are the ones who seem least likely to buy the disc in question. I never saw many of the people complaining about Bandai Visual who seemed likely to buy their stuff. Bottom line if you want the item bad enough you buy it. If you think it's too expensive, you pass.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I've always felt there's something suspicious about the huge amount the Japanese supposedly pay for anime on disc. I don't buy the "Japanese are massive otaku and therefore are willing to be reamed repeatedly because they love the animes so much" argument. At about $40 per episode (and considering the high cost of living over there), I think there must be a massive amount of pirating going on.

Buying obscenely overpriced merchandise to show devotion to a show is a status symbol among Japanese fans. Don't believe me? Join a Johnny's fan club some time, where your $500 a year buys you a few newsletters and the right to purchase *more* overpriced crap, as well as access to pricey "premium" seating at concerts.

In fact, many Japanese are insanely brand-conscious, and the idea of value shopping doesn't enter into the equation.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
teferi wrote:

Not sure about the prices for when Gantz was initially released, but it definitely did have the 2 epsiodes per disc. I rented it through Netflix and even then my reaction was "Two episodes? Are they serious?" So I can't imagine that went over with anyone who wanted to buy the show.

$17.98 per disc for the first season (discs 1–6), though the sixth disc has three episodes.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
In fact, many Japanese are insanely brand-conscious, and the idea of value shopping doesn't enter into the equation.

That doesn't take into account the many people who just can't afford to piss money down the drain.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
My DIY computer is also ag'ed (built it in 2005-ish). One day it was having the same sort of problems you are having but discovered it was because I added a faulty stick of RAM to it. It's still truckin along nicely now. Eight years old is quite old, you got a lot of mileage out of that computer.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:49 am Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:

That's true. J-gals would buy full-price Gucci bags when an exact same bag sells half-price down the street. To earn that kind of money, high school gals work enjo-kosai. So thank your lucky stars for Gucci bags.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
For the case of CDs in Japan, that's probably the result of the rather odd situation Japan is in regarding CD sales: most people don't buy CDs outright, they rent them.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
I've always felt there's something suspicious about the huge amount the Japanese supposedly pay for anime on disc. I don't buy the "Japanese are massive otaku and therefore are willing to be reamed repeatedly because they love the animes so much" argument. At about $40 per episode (and considering the high cost of living over there), I think there must be a massive amount of pirating going on.

Buying obscenely overpriced merchandise to show devotion to a show is a status symbol among Japanese fans. Don't believe me? Join a Johnny's fan club some time, where your $500 a year buys you a few newsletters and the right to purchase *more* overpriced crap, as well as access to pricey "premium" seating at concerts.

I've always found this big difference between buyers here and in Japan to be very interesting. In the US, people tend to have a lot of pride in being able to say they got a whole series for $20 or something like that. Whereas there, it's more about how much are you willing to sacrifice for it.

Even right now, I'm looking over coupons for Right Stuf to figure out how to get the best deal on stuff that is already discounted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4