• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Highschool of the Dead (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Highschool of the Dead (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, psychological, supernatural, thriller
Themes: Ecchi, fanservice, Gore, harem., survival horror, virus, zombies

Plot Summary: Takashi Komuro is a normal high school boy, until an infection breaks out that turns people into zombie-like creatures. Along with his friends & the school nurse, they fight their way out and continue their journey to find out what exactly has happened to the world.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Love the first episode! And since no one started this thread yet here I go! Razz

Highschool of the Dead is being produced by no less than MADHOUSE, and they went all out in this one. Production values are through the roof including great animation with all it's gore and blood, 3-d flying camera, and of course the fanservice Very Happy. I also love the cinematic effects in the beginning. It's frightening and gruesome, for which I praise the directing: the "how it began" sequence at the school gates is simply petrifying. As for story, so far it's good. I can go both ways though but I hope for the better one. The only complain I have that spoiler[we won't be seeing "Light" (Mamoru Miyano) anymore. And I took a liking to him already... Uh-oh.] Anyway first episode is fascinating. I want it to stay this way.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: This post was originally the start of a separate thread which was posted almost simultaneously with the existing one. It has been merged into the other thread since the OP for the other one more conformed to accepted standards for such threads. - Key]

The newest work from Madhouse it follows the story of a zombie apocalypse in Japan

The first episode aired on Anime Network. You can watch it legally here after registering
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Highschool-of-the-Dead/Watch

And I think I should make something perfectly clear

H.O.T.D. will have gore.
It will have blood
It will have mindless violence
It will have boobs
It will have panty shots
It will have mindless ecchi
It will seem pretty distasteful
X10

Heed my warning if you cannot handle any of that. Do not even check out episode 1 if you cannot handle any of that

However, if you can in fact handle that and just go with the flow of the crazy and enjoy the madness you'll find a pretty good show. I know I'm liking it so far.

Also: has many American Zombie movie references.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode well enough though I didn't like either of the two female characters introduced.
wedgeofpie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I found myself enjoying this far more than I expected to. Well, the animation was really first rate and they didn't skimp on the atmosphere leading to some nice moments of genuine horror. That being said it did dip in to some serious melodrama in the second half. spoiler[The bit with the two girls "We're best friends for life! Hahaha!" (2 seconds later) "Argh, let go of me and die bitch!" ]was unintentionally hilarious. And lets face it, this show should be re-christened Fanservice of the Dead. The zombie horde was outnumbered here by the unrelenting legion of panty shots and heaving breasts.

Even so, I was thoroughly entertained. Anything even remotely zombie related is going to get a pass from me anyway.

The coolest thing by far though spoiler[was the music cue towards the end courtesy of 28 days later. I wonder if it will be a regular part of the score or if it was just a less than sneaky reference.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Fight scenes are nice....

but...

when is she going to stop being annoying? Can't stand this series. I hope she gets her jugular bitten in ep2. Too much fan service. I think the series would have been just fine without it.

Dropped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Relevant pic:

So, the high-budget summer Z'n'B series is finally here - don't take it seriously and enjoy the gore, it's Narmful otherwise. It seems to be a faithful adaptation of the manga, and bar the constant bouncing and the nurse (personally both just irritate me) it looks to be a fun ride, just what you need in this goddamn heat (can't concentrate on anything serious anyway). I'm kind of wondering how they'll end it though, since the manga has no end.
They've assembled quite a cast, too.
They cut a lot of the goriest parts, unfortunately (it's like, the most detailed part of the manga?), wonder if it'll get a director's cut or something. They certainly didn't cut the fanservice...
I'm a bit disappointed by how they're using Marina Inoue. She deserves better roles.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This show's gonna sell gangbusters here in the US, the marketing potential is tremendous. I have to say that Madhouse did a bang-up job on the first episode. I wasn't sure they would be able to depict the chaos from the manga, but this turned out really well. My main concern however, is that the series is only 12 episodes. Granted this series doesn't have much of a plot to begin with, but i wonder how they're gonna fit in the major story arcs.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
That's also a concern, I'm pretty sure they won't be able to get to the mall at this pace, and that's actually a quite interesting part.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first episode aired on Anime Network. You can watch it legally here after registering
http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Anime/Highschool-of-the-Dead/Watch

No you can't apparently, even though you should be able to. Log in, press play, nothing happens.

EDIT: For some reason you have to go to where it lists the episodes underneath the video and click on Episode 1 Confused
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed by the first episode. Many scenes drag on longer than they should which in turn makes them boring. The manga is exciting because it's fast paced. A scene that takes half a page in the manga should not take 2 or 3 minutes in the anime. Also, the violence and gore is less explicit but instead there's a lot more blood. Does this even make sense?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
First impression after watching this is that it's going to be exactly what I like in an anime, serious and dramatic with plenty of action and violence. I just hope they don't go overboard on the depression index.

Quote:
I'm a bit disappointed by the first episode. Many scenes drag on longer than they should which in turn makes them boring. The manga is exciting because it's fast paced. A scene that takes half a page in the manga should not take 2 or 3 minutes in the anime. Also, the violence and gore is less explicit but instead there's a lot more blood. Does this even make sense?

The pacing was blazing fast and yet perfect. Any faster and you lose out on characters and their stories and then I wouldn't care about them and want to see them survive.
zatheus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice and zombie apocalypse equals a winner for most. If there is a good story to boot then that's just an added perk. I want to know how they are going to end this because anyone that has watched any zombie flick knows how they all end. I have never really seen a happy ending to a zombie movie unless its a comedy. And yet I can never turn down any zombie show what so ever.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
@wedgeofpie: Yeah, I noticed the spoiler[musical homage to 28 Days/Weeks Later near the end during Hisashi's turning scene and that was definitely some pure ****ing awesomeness right there.]

Let's get one thing out of the way that NO ONE seems to have pointed out yet, the show has by far one of the best openings of the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdvdIQx6PY

I seriously look forward to the full version of this being released and it sucks SO hard there's no j-rock store for Rock Band, I'd KILL to play this in said game. The guitar riff during the title cards and during the second fourth of the first verse and during the chorus is just SO awesome. It's like they said, '**** guys, this show is really just mindless entertainment, how can we add to that?' and someone said, 'We need some kind of a kickass rock intro'. And there ya go. Very Happy

The show seems to be using everything right, fanservice, zombies, gore, violence, guns, blood...

It has no desire to try and be anything other that what it appears at face value. Between this and Ladies versus Butlers! there have been some GOOD guilty pleasure shows this season. It's just nice to know that the other end of the spectrum opposite to fanservice, I.E. violence, is finally getting a proper representation this year.

Well anyways, I've got my subscription all up and running so I can view future episodes, assuming that the whole 'first episode is free, later are subscriber only' plan goes in effect.

Really looking forward to the next three months this will be airing for. Surprised
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:

Exactly my complaints. Both don't make sense.
I'm pretty sure this one was slower-paced because they had to build up the atmosphere of suspense before the apocalypse started, but if it continues the same way, we won't even see the kid rescue.
And they obviously upped the amount of red paint to compensate. Unfortunately.
silencer226

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
From what I saw of the first episode, it's definitely one I'll keep checking out. I thought the spoiler[28 Days Later theme] was a nice touch, and the scene with the spoiler[two bff's was humorous, someone should have learned how to pick better friends.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25