• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Inner Childhood

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuetheguardian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Aura Ichadora"]Yay, my shelves were featured! ^^ They've grown since I've submitted those photos (sometime shortly after A-Cen back in May) but still, it's cool to see them featured at last. <3
quote]

as a fellow CLAMP fan myelf I bow to your shelves, those books with the chess pieces, I could only get one I found at a store closing cause they were way to expensive. so thank you for sharing them.

edit:so triming of fat and a typo.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm not denying that there have been good dubs, and I am very glad that they exist for the sake of 1) children, 2) people with reading problems, and 3) people who somehow believe the whole world should speak English

Just to add, I'd fall under category #4: People who enjoy picking up on subtle performance nuances that are only available via their native language. (Native in this case meaning English, but I think the same can go for any foreign-dubbed media, like the Japanese dub of an American show, etc.) I love both subs and dubs, but more often prefer dubs because the meaning of the words is immediately apparent to me, as the English language has been my primary tool for communication since childhood and therefore can be more emotionally affecting to me. So, you don't have to be a kid, disabled or an ethnocentric plebeian to enjoy the dubbed version of a foreign media... There are some of us who simply enjoy hearing a performance in our native language to really "drive it home," y'know?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I'm not denying that there have been good dubs, and I am very glad that they exist for the sake of 1) children, 2) people with reading problems, and 3) people who somehow believe the whole world should speak English

Just to add, I'd fall under category #4: People who enjoy picking up on subtle performance nuances that are only available via their native language.

This is why I mostly prefer subs ... the interplay of actors sharing a sound studio frequently has more nuance in the performance than individual voice actors delivering individual lines to a beep. Of course, I got used to watching foreign films with subtitles on SBS when I lived in Australia years before I got into anime, so I never had any trouble connecting the meaning via the subtitles with the emotional performance via the dialog.
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed reading today's column,ah yes Durarara has a pretty refreshing ending kinda sad that it did though it kinda feels like there will be maybe a short extension to the series cause it kinda seems like Izaya might still want to awaken Ceilty's head but..Might be just me wanting to see that happen heh.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:31 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I take it you watch everything dubbed then, eh? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Letters from Iwo Jima, and so forth and so on?

I've never seen either of these movies, either dubbed or subtitled. Never was interested. I don't know why you would say I "watch everything dubbed then" when I just said in my post that I enjoy both the dubs and the subs. I guess when I make a point that some people don't like to admit they get really angry and go into attack mode, and make ignorant comments.

Quote:

And I suppose you love watching heavily edited movies where scenes are cut out.

If you look to my original post, I didn't say anything about scenes cut out of movies. Again, making strange angry comments because I make a point that you don't like.

Quote:
I'm not denying that there have been good dubs, and I am very glad that they exist for the sake of 1) children, 2) people with reading problems, and 3) people who somehow believe the whole world should speak English,

So if you enjoy watching dubs, you are either a child, some kind of illiterate rube, or a jackass. Nice, love it when people get angry and smear an entire group of innocent people who enjoy the various forms of artistic impression (not just one). Very classy.

Quote:

It's not that I hate them, I am by and large indifferent to them. To me, for my personal viewing, the English dub does not matter.

Well judging by the angry, knife wielding responses i've quoted you seem to hate them pretty severely.

My original point was that I find it humorous to see the purists who become wildly angry any time they see a dub or hear anyone praising a dub, and yet they haven't taken the time themselves to learn the Japanese language. I think there is a difference between people who just enjoy watching subs, and those who become wildly outraged at the mention of a dub. I bet most people have seen many of the second category.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
OMG, I knew from the second that I saw the words "no dub" in Erin's article this was going to turn into another sub/dub battle.

Everyone can just watch what they please! And to the "sub-only" people... ya'll need to stop being so uppity about the "pure, original, natural" state of anime and get over it. Unless you speak japanese you really need to get off this horse, because the japanese/english translation can be very sketchy, if you want to experience it at its best then move to Japan.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
This is why I mostly prefer subs ... the interplay of actors sharing a sound studio frequently has more nuance in the performance than individual voice actors delivering individual lines to a beep.

I thought group performances were a rarity in anime productions. Aren't most of the seiyuu performances done solo? You can often tell immediately when a show was recorded by the actors collectively - Kure-nai (another Brains-Base show) comes immediately to mind. In some cases (Kure-nai, again, I believe), the animation isn't drawn until after the actors have finished so the artists can sync the lip movements to the performances.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I understand how people like to watch a show as it was originally created just out of curiosity or something, but if you don't speak Japanese fluently it doesn't really seem to make sense to obsess over only watching/listening to a show in Japanese, to the point where you shun and look with disdain upon all else.

Um, I'm sorry, you mean wanting to watch something as it was originally created and originally intended to be watched is something you would only do out of curiosity??? I take it you watch everything dubbed then, eh? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Letters from Iwo Jima, and so forth and so on? And I suppose you love watching heavily edited movies where scenes are cut out. Because wanting to see things as the creators intended it is sooooo lame and only something you'd want to do out of "curiosity."

"Shun" is too strong a word. I don't need English dubs. I can read subtitles well enough, and as a result, why should I bother with somebody else's attempt at duplicating the original? I'm not denying that there have been good dubs, and I am very glad that they exist for the sake of 1) children, 2) people with reading problems, and 3) people who somehow believe the whole world should speak English, but otherwise, I don't care if your dub is that good. It's not that I hate them, I am by and large indifferent to them. To me, for my personal viewing, the English dub does not matter.

Um, I just want to say...the original poster was expressing annoyance at the purists who dislike anything but the original language, not the people indifferent or who have a specific preference. I watch subs a lot and prefer them in many cases, but I still find some dubs that, in my opinion, are better than the original, as good, and almost as good. Some dub-haters do exist, and I don't understand them. Fine if you prefer subs, but no shunning (which they often do) others for their taste.

Also, liking dubs does not equal liking censorship. There's a big difference there. It's astounding that you'd compare the two, especially when you twisted the original statement into "You just don't want to see the original vision!". I could also make an argument that the creator's original vision (in this case casting) isn't always good. I've heard some terrible original versions, voices that don't match a character at all (often due to age), or sometimes just really flat acting. If someone can improve upon that, then I'm happy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Just for a quick example of my point about how sometimes dubs can be great and interesting contributions of artistic merit on their own. I happened to be reading an old review of death note (the last part of the series) by Theron Martin, and this passage towards the end of his review really stood out and I absolutely agree with it.

Quote:
Most importantly, Brad Swaile finds just the right balance of conviction and evil in his performance of Light, with his effort in the very difficult last episode being especially remarkable.

Brad's performance in that final episode was one of the most amazing performances I have ever seen in an animated show. The way that he perfectly captures Light's mixture of anger, confusion, homicidal insanity, pain, and other swirl of emotions just blew my mind. He cracks his voice at just the perfect times and also pulls off the insane laughter part perfectly. I have never before been so satisfied by a final performance in an anime whether it be sub or dub.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as a Baccano! Fan that finds it hard to continue DRRR! because it isn't Baccano! enough!

At first it seems so much like Baccano!-the opening sequence, the animation, the gang talk, the supernatural elements-you almost feel like it's a sequel! But before you can ~squee~ over it, something just feels different. The modern day setting? The high school kids and otaku characters? Maybe it just doesn't have enough time skips, immortality craziness, violence, incromprehensibility, homicidal maniacs, or crazy New Yawk accents to feel Baccano! enough...

Then you just realize that this *isn't* a Baccano! sequel, it's something completely different made to be enjoyed on its own. And I know it's silly, but that was emough for me to give up on it for a while ;( Lazy, I know...I keep thinking "when I have the time, I have to give this show another chance! --"but, but," part of me thinks, "it's like Baccano! but it's not Baccano! and I want Baccano!, dang it!" Razz)

Maybe if they had gone with a different opening sequence and character designs, something to distinguish it from my favorite series of 2009, it would be easier to take. I'm looking forward to the dub announcement, though.

Dub vs. Sub-count me in on someone offended by the idea that preferring dubs means I prefer censorship. Good dubs capture the intent of the original performances and don't censor (or even misinterpret) a darn thing. I've open been outspoken in my support and curiosity of dubs in all languages--I love to see clips of anime dubbed in Spanish, Italian, French, etc, even though I can't speak those languages either. I think it would be fun to hear the dub actors of Avatar: The Last Airbender in Japanese! I'm an equal opportunity animation-dub advocate! Very Happy
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Quote:
Count me in as a Baccano! Fan that finds it hard to continue DRRR! because it isn't Baccano! enough!

At first it seems so much like Baccano!-the opening sequence, the animation, the gang talk, the supernatural elements-you almost feel like it's a sequel! But before you can ~squee~ over it, something just feels different....

Then you just realize that this *isn't* a Baccano! sequel, it's something completely different made to be enjoyed on its own...)

I don't mean to be rude to Baccano! fans but of course DRRR! won't be 'Baccano! enough' because IT ISN'T Baccano!
Just as Agent355 said, "It's something completely different made to be enjoyed on its own".

I have seen all of Baccano and ,although I enjoyed it, I honestly prefer DRRR! because of it's characters (the otakus are very funny), setting (I don't mind it being modern), and the fact it has Russian sushi ;-D.

Yes, both anime's were created by Ryohgo Narita but to compare two different anime's by the same person is like comparing You're Under Arrest with Oh My Goddess!
Both are made by Kosuke Fujishima but are completely different and are enjoyed for different reasons.

Also, the whole sub vs. dub debate: whatever floats your boat. I listen to both without complaint.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Keichitsu0305!

The problem is that Durarara!! is made to look like Baccano a bit. As I mentioned, the animation is similar and the opening animation sequence screams "You Are (not) Watching Baccano!" Razz

I love the Russian Sushi guy, though!!! Very Happy

Narita is incredibly talented. Eventually, I do want to see Durarara!, and I'd love a Baccano! sequel!
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I've actually seen a number of people bemoan the second half of DRRR and say it wasn't enough like Baccano! so they like Baccano! better (never knew the series had so many fans, maybe the American setting works better with American fans). Need to check out those series you said DRRR was like now, really do like all the comparisons to shows you have in the review.

Baccano has so many fans because of the following equation:

Baccano = Greatness.

That is so true! There actually isn't that many people I have talked to that have heard of Baccano (before Durarara) before I had asked if they have seen it. A friend of mine and I are trying to convince everyone we know that likes anime to sit down and watch Baccano (at least up to episode three) to share in its greatness.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote
Quote:
Thanks, Keichitsu0305!
...Narita is incredibly talented. Eventually, I do want to see Durarara!, and I'd love a Baccano! sequel!

You are very welcome!! Very Happy

I look forward to a Baccano! season 2 myself!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2