• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Paradiso Lost [2012-12-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
I just saw it as fluff. Recommended it to a friend and he said it looked badass.

It has its' moments, IMO. But it was a bit like Legend of the Legendary Heroes in that it seemed to be leading somewhere, but without another season, it's like a bridge to nowhere, which is disappointing.

I would certainly rate it higher than Bamboo did, but not *a lot* higher. I generally agree with it being a Rental for most people, though. I wish we could've seen things open up, and also that Cecily had been treated more like what I heard the manga made her as. I like competent, bad-ass swordswomen. Razz At least she was *starting* to become that way when the series ended.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Just a couple of issues:
Quote:
The great misnomer about adaptations is that they are created for the pre-existing fans of a product.

"Misnomer" means incorrect naming, which is meaningless in this context.

Yes, that is indeed what it means, and I think it's an appropriate use here. So many anime "adaptations" of video games tend to be more like expansions of the IP meant to help flesh out universes for existing fans. I thought that was what Bamboo was getting at and I agree with her.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

It has its' moments, IMO. But it was a bit like Legend of the Legendary Heroes in that it seemed to be leading somewhere, but without another season, it's like a bridge to nowhere, which is disappointing.

A strange comparision but the two have some similarities, both are fantasy light novel adaptations {The Sacred Blacksmith's manga was better? That's inconsequential, really} involving a "not couple" couple fighting evil or whatever. It's like The Slayers, only ... it's like The Slayers. As well as so, so many others; The "not couple" couple is a mainstay in fantasy Light Novels and manga series derived from The Slayers.

The Slayers uses comedy to distinquish itself {and the fact the heroes are often more villainous than the villains; Sucks to be a fish person in that world} and The Legend of Legendary Heroes has a fair amount of violence and questionable morality, and the two main heroes, while absolutely good, are somewhat insane. The Sacred Blacksmith is completely unmemorable in comparision.

I know I saw it, I didn't hate it {I really remember the shows I hate} but I don't remember it. Isn't that another sort of perishable? I can recommend Legend of Legendary Heroes as Ryner, Ferris and Sion make the show watchable. The Sacred Blacksmith can't even manage that much and it's named after one of the leads.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Collections are not a e-penis contest. People just send them to Bamboo. It's not like they're competing for "who has the largest collection".

Yeah, I used to have a huge game collection until I decided to throw away the boxes of all but my favorite games. My collection looks so much better now as a condensed set of awesome games rather a mixed bag that take up multiple shelves. I would do the same with my anime were it a bigger collection.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:
I'll always remember The Sacred Blacksmith as the series that marked a steady decline in Manglobe's creative output. Such a shame.

Totally agree. It was the first really "no good" series they made. Well, they did do the beautiful House of Five Leave afterwards, but since then ... in the end, a good show just depends on the individual people working on it rather than the studio ...
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
On the subject of whoops-fall-down-what's-this-soft-thing-eek-you-pervert-punch,

Hardgear wrote:

Do Japanese anime fans like this crap, or are the studios just doing it out of habit and/or because shows where this happens to occur make a lot of money?

Probably all of the above, and the fact that a part of the audience is constantly outgrowing it and being replaced by young people who haven't seen it yet. Not everyone stays a fan for years and years; some -- maybe most -- just cycle through.

As a fan since before that trope--nay, meme--even existed, I'd love to see it scrubbed out of existence too. Honestly, if the scriptwriters haven't come up with a macro that writes that whole scene with one keystroke, they're risking carpal tunnel for nothing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
"Older men with glasses is not my thing"

You've now utterly destroyed all my fantasies of a future together with you, Bamboo!

Sigh.

To be honest, I never did understand why Nicoletta was so taken with guys twenty years older than her.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
EDIT: E-penis is such a misogynistic term. What about e-vaginas? Smile

I dunno, given the mentality behind penis sizing contests it's more of an insult to men than a snub to women... Razz

Nah, e-boob sizes - which girls also really do! Laughing

Touche!

vanfanel wrote:
Probably all of the above, and the fact that a part of the audience is constantly outgrowing it and being replaced by young people who haven't seen it yet. Not everyone stays a fan for years and years; some -- maybe most -- just cycle through.

Wow I feel dumb now. That is probably the biggest factor. Don't know why I didn't automatically assume that, since that is the EXACT same justification I see for the nonstop wave of High School shows...
Altacia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Doesn't matter about the size of a collection... It's still a collection. His has Nanoha, Sailor Moon, Slayers and the Ghost Stories boxset.

To me, That makes it one of the better collections I've seen.

Oh, Can't forget the Mermaid Forest boxset too!

Smile

Edit; And OMG, PS2 Ar Tonelicos and Suikodens. <3 And Odins Sphere.. haha.. Yes, I would like to steal some of this stuff.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
Edit; And OMG, PS2 Ar Tonelicos and Suikodens. <3 And Odins Sphere.. haha.. Yes, I would like to steal some of this stuff.

Just FYI: Odin Sphere is available for the PS3 off of PSN. I know, because I bought it and played it to full completion. Razz I *wuv* Gwendolyn!
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

One big contributing factor to the disappointment in the final episode for me was the exceedingly long "talking is a free action" scene where the villain simply lets Cecily and Luke sit there, talk about stuff, and recover from their wounds. Watch this show for the fluff and fanservice, or don't watch it at all.

But can we also talk about HOW LONG their sword-summoning incantations are, and how the bad guys just sit around and wait for a) sword girls to turn into swords or b) Luke to MAGIC SMITH A SWORD????

If I was the Man in Black, I would just chop Luke's head off while he was magicking his sword. By the way, dumbest incantation ever.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

One big contributing factor to the disappointment in the final episode for me was the exceedingly long "talking is a free action" scene where the villain simply lets Cecily and Luke sit there, talk about stuff, and recover from their wounds. Watch this show for the fluff and fanservice, or don't watch it at all.

But can we also talk about HOW LONG their sword-summoning incantations are, and how the bad guys just sit around and wait for a) sword girls to turn into swords or b) Luke to MAGIC SMITH A SWORD????

If I was the Man in Black, I would just chop Luke's head off while he was magicking his sword. By the way, dumbest incantation ever.

That is not a fair comment at all. Have never seen any other show? From live actions to anime to manga to any other form of media it is always commonplace for villains to stall in defeating the main heroes so they can recover and win. It probably has its own troupe, I know the whole Goldfinger laser thing is brought up every time. So in response Luke having enough time to smith is not some major flaw seen for the first time in SB, just a common media troupe.

Personally for me, I dont know why they even bothered with Cecile considering the show is called Scared Blacksmith. She was almost just thrown in there for no reason. She is not terribly integral to the plot. The plot focuses on whatever is in the mountain, the thing that killed Luke's friend, and led to the creation of the little side kick girl. Its not like Cecile has any real ties to any important characters, no is she needed to do anything to help the plot along. In reality she is at best a love interest to luke, who for some reason the anime creators decided to push to the forefront and relegated look to the side. They should have cut her out and just focused on Luke and his quest to beat the great evil or whatever it was.

Regarding the collection, actually the person has a decent anime collection. I have seen a few shelf life where they almost no anime, so in comparison this one is pretty good especially with the Sailor Moon. Although I am curious about one thing, they have multiple copies of two games Baldur's Gate DA II and DQ8 which would indicate they are game collector's, but on the flip side half the games look to be in good or less condition, with many missing the covers? This would indicate they dont collect, but just get the games they want to play. Just an odd thing I noted, but Kudos to anyone who has Suikoden in their collection.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
As a big fan of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky games in particular and J-RPGs in general, I thought that this OVA was quite decent, as such things go. It is largely about the second game in the series of three 'chapters,' and so does include a huge spoiler for the ending of the first game (the only one to be released so far in North America). If you played and liked FC and despair of ever seeing a NA release of SC, watching this OVA will tell you how that story line plays out.

The Trails in the Sky games are being remade for the PS3, so maybe there is yet hope the second and third ones may be released outside Japan, if the fact that SC is one of only two two-UMD PSP games ever made was part of the problem. (Both the PSP and the PS3 are region free, but these games are extremely heavy in dialogue.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
From live actions to anime to manga to any other form of media it is always commonplace for villains to stall in defeating the main heroes so they can recover and win.

I was rewatching Claymore the other day and had the same reaction to the scenes with Riful and Duff as Bamboo described in her review. Now in that case there was a weak explanation, that spoiler[Riful wanted to recruit them rather than kill them]. Still whole periods go by where everyone stands around chatting while the ladies recover. It may be a trope, but it still makes no sense.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

That is not a fair comment at all. Have never seen any other show? From live actions to anime to manga to any other form of media it is always commonplace for villains to stall in defeating the main heroes so they can recover and win. It probably has its own troupe, I know the whole Goldfinger laser thing is brought up every time. So in response Luke having enough time to smith is not some major flaw seen for the first time in SB, just a common media troupe.

I never said it was done for the first time in SB. I never even complained about it in the review, since, you're right, it is done very commonly. But Zalis116's comment reminded me of just how ludicrous the Magic Forging spell was in SB. I mean, at least make the incantation cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4