• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Inio Asano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prabb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
There's absolutely no mention of Punpun?

There's absolutely no mention of Punpun.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Great overview of Asano's key works. It really is a shame that Viz has seemed to avoid taking risks on more mature, interesting manga titles in the past few years. I think Taiyo Matsumoto's Sunny is their first license in a long time that meets the qualifications.

While I really wish Nijigahara Holograph had been licensed -- I'm very skeptical at this point, given its ambitions and the economic times -- I'm surprised that Viz didn't license City of Light and Before Dawn and the End of the World. They're also short story collections that are tenuously connected like What a Wonderful World!, but they're a lot more mature and consistent -- City of Light came out around Solanin, and Before Dawn and the End of the World well after it. They're a real evolution in Asano's work, and don't easily resort to simple, sophomoric metaphors (the bird in the cage one in What a Wonderful World! speaks for itself).

prabb wrote:
There's absolutely no mention of Punpun?

There's absolutely no mention of Punpun.

Well, it's a relentlessly depressing/arguably self-depracating series that leaves its characters almost constantly miserable and with no hope. I really like everything else I've read by Inio Asano (which is everything up until and including Before Dawn and the End of the World), but I honestly grew irritated at all of the one-note self-hatred of the character before dropping it at about six or so volumes. I understand why people can go for that, but it's way too insular and one-dimensional for me.

On the other hand, it's the only truly long serialization that Asano has done so far, so it is at least worth a mention...
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I just think Asano's style is so pretty and the images he uses are so haunting... All I want for Christmas is for someone to license more of his work! It's a bummer that Jason's projection of "Asano planet" never came to be. Sigh!!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
it's amazing to me how often these columns send me off in search of a series I've never heard of --- often among used sellers, given the subject matter. I think this column has been responsible for maybe a quarter of my manga purchases in the past year.
prabb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
On the other hand, it's the only truly long serialization that Asano has done so far, so it is at least worth a mention...

That was pretty much my reason for mentioning it. It's still an ongoing work and it's got a bit of a following on some larger anime forums over here. I know my tastes aren't indicative of anything but when I hear Inio Asano I immediately think Solanin and Oyasumi Punpun.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that descriptions of the art failed to mention how incredibly good it is, Oh well, I definitely enjoyed reading the article, I love Inio Asano, even if there wasn't a word on Punpun.
One thing - aren't the characters in Umibe no Onnanoko in junior high?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
prabb wrote:
Bonham wrote:

That was pretty much my reason for mentioning it. It's still an ongoing work and it's got a bit of a following on some larger anime forums over here. I know my tastes aren't indicative of anything but when I hear Inio Asano I immediately think Solanin and Oyasumi Punpun.

Was very surprised to see no mention of PunPun also, i really like punpun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1