• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Partial English Cast for Hetalia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
AntztheGreat wrote:
Funimation's AX Day 3 video has some clips that show America and England at about the 2 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYI_fp7Qa9I

Anyone want to make any guesses?

I've heard that clip, I'm pretty sure that America is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch (he does have nice vocal range, although limited due to typecasting). He has done characters with lots of enthusiasm in the past, so yeah.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
AntztheGreat wrote:
Funimation's AX Day 3 video has some clips that show America and England at about the 2 minute mark.

I've heard that clip, I'm pretty sure that America is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch (he does have nice vocal range, although limited due to typecasting). He has done characters with lots of enthusiasm in the past, so yeah.

Um...nooooooo, that's not Bosch. Not to steal Mistypearl's cute witticism, but I will eat BOTH my socks if that's not Eric Vale. That's totally him.

I promise I'll stoooop spamming this thread after this, hopefully I'll have no more to say, ha ha, buuuuuut I decided to be a buzzkill with more speculation: Funimation's blog pointed to the pre-order page on Amazon for the DVDs and not so subtly under the specs for the discs it says:

Quote:
Actors: Todd Haberkorn, Christopher Bevins, Patrick Seitz

...None of those three have been mentioned in the cast thus far, so I'd say it's puuuuurty darn safe to assume those are our Axis powers. Guessing which is which isn't very difficult, either, as they have some pretty obvious voice differences and are therefore easy to match up. Good choices all if that is Italy, Germany and Japan, but I can't help but be a little disappointed if it's true and Italy is exactly who everyone thought he was gonna be. Oh well, if it works, it works!

...Does that mean we already know the whole cast except for China? Shocked Oh well, I'm still excited to hear those clips...particularly more of America and England.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

...Does that mean we already know the whole cast except for China? Shocked

They should find a way to afford Jackie Chan. Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
AntztheGreat wrote:

Do you have an obsession with Bosch? I mean his an LA actor that almost never appears in Funimation's dub so why do you think his going to get a major role in this series? I mean that's clearly not Bosch so I don't understand why you would think that would be Bosch.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
You know, as an aside, I used to think Vic was gay. He is kinda flamy. I think he puts up this front in defense of his sexuality and comes off as a bit homophobic because he's probably been accused of being gay many times. But there's no need for it anymore. Gay is the new cool and being homophobic or doing anything that seems homophobic is way NOT cool.

Try telling that to the folks in Hawaii, whom struck down a law allowing Civil Unions for Gays and Lesbians. Find it more funny that Iowa passed a law allowing civil unions before Hawaii.

But still, wish they'd just round out the cast already instead of being secretive. Whats the point?
AntztheGreat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

...Does that mean we already know the whole cast except for China?

We don't know Canada either unless they're using the same actor for America and Canada like the original did.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Do you have an obsession with Bosch?
Saying that Dark Paladin X has an obsession with Bosch doesn't even cover half of it. Same things applies to him and James Arnold Taylor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Do you have an obsession with Bosch?
Saying that Dark Paladin X has an obsession with Bosch doesn't even cover half of it. Same things applies to him and James Arnold Taylor.

Since I'm a fan of both Johnny Yong Bosch and James Arnold Taylor, then yes. I'm also a fan of Cristina Valenzuela as well.

But I'm just going to say that it's Johnny Yong Bosch for America until they further announce the dub cast. And I hope that Travis Willingham is Germany.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Goddamn FARKING UK BLOCK! Evil or Very Mad *throws hissy fit*

My only consolation here is that even if the accents are utterly horrible, they'll still be entertaining, and fit the tone of the show. It would have been nice to be able to see the clips though.

I remember seeing the first episode (I think? They were having a conference and America suggested creating a giant space robot to combat global warming. Confused ) on YouTube and thinking it was pretty quirky and fun. I'm looking forward to importing this one!
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Germany clip has been added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmN22hduQ4&feature=channel He will be voiced by spoiler[ Patrick Seitz ] Which I can't really say anything on the matter because I'm not too, too familiar with voice actors but I *can* say that I love what I'm hearing Smile So as JesuOtaku pointed out, the DVD listings state the Axis Powers. I suppose I have to keep this up and say I'll eat some hosiery if Todd Haberkorn and Christopher Bevins aren't Italy and Japan. I'm not going to say respectively, because I don't know which one people were thinking were which, because again, I know about a grand total of like, 5ish voice actors by name, and uh, voice.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I promise I'll stoooop spamming this thread after this, hopefully I'll have no more to say, ha ha, buuuuuut I decided to be a buzzkill with more speculation: Funimation's blog pointed to the pre-order page on Amazon for the DVDs and not so subtly under the specs for the discs it says:

Quote:
Actors: Todd Haberkorn, Christopher Bevins, Patrick Seitz

...None of those three have been mentioned in the cast thus far, so I'd say it's puuuuurty darn safe to assume those are our Axis powers.

First, thanks for cheating! You just took all the fun out of the guessing game j/k Wink Laughing

That said, it's possible that Seitz is on there for a writing credit verse a major voice acting roll. I've noticed that the writers for many Funi shows get listed along with the VA (usually at the end of the list - there's probably a set formula to how they do it but I'm on lunch and don't have time to try and do serious research on it). So you may be jumping to a conclusion here that won't totally pan out when it comes to reading the listing.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:

That said, it's possible that Seitz is on there for a writing credit verse a major voice acting roll. I've noticed that the writers for many Funi shows get listed along with the VA (usually at the end of the list - there's probably a set formula to how they do it but I'm on lunch and don't have time to try and do serious research on it). So you may be jumping to a conclusion here that won't totally pan out when it comes to reading the listing.

Yes, I guess that's possible if--NEEEEVER MIIIIIIIIND

And they have added a Hitler joke into the dub already. Hetalia wasn't offensive enough! Let's fix this! Laughing
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't recognize most of the English VA names y'all are bandying about so I have no comment or speculation on who's playing who. But what I can say is that the idea of the actors affecting (probably exaggerated) accents for their respective countries, if true, does not appeal to me. I was really hoping they wouldn't do that, though I get the feeling I'm in the minority in this respect. It's not that big a deal anyway (subs/seiyuu fan here) but now I probably won't even try the dub on the rewatch when I get the DVDs. Nevertheless, it's still kinda fun to see other fans get excited about the casting announcements. Everyone wins. Anime smallmouth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

And they have added a Hitler joke into the dub already. Hetalia wasn't offensive enough! Let's fix this! Laughing

Hitler joke? I guess I didn't catch that...was it the line where he talks about raising your hand without mocking any past salutes? (Totally paraphrasing here...) Either its subtle enough to pass by unnoticed, or I'm just naive and behind in my German history. (Which could certainly be the case! LoL)

In any case, I caught this comment from You Tube on the Germany page, and it just cracked me up!

Quote:
...Well they are sneaking them in and adding newer, more heard about jokes. Like there was this preview at AX10 of the first episode when china goes something like "Stop fighting and eat some Chinese treats" and France and England go "we don't want any!" But instead, FUNi made France and England say "We'd just be hungry again!"

I absolutely LOVE the fact they're taking liberties like this. I may be in the minority here, but I'm all for a dub that plays up the humor. Heck, my best friend and I feel like we're the only fans of ADV's Papuwa dub out there! Razz
RestLessone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:

Hitler joke? I guess I didn't catch that...was it the line where he talks about raising your hand without mocking any past salutes? (Totally paraphrasing here...) Either its subtle enough to pass by unnoticed, or I'm just naive and behind in my German history. (Which could certainly be the case! LoL)

Yeah, that'd be it with whole Nazi/Hitler salute. But it isn't a direct reference to Hitler.

midnighteve wrote:

I absolutely LOVE the fact they're taking liberties like this. I may be in the minority here, but I'm all for a dub that plays up the humor.

You're not alone! I think the best part is that meaning isn't really lost with the rewritten lines and it isn't changing the characters. Upping the humor and cultural/historical references makes me happy in this case. Very Happy Plus, people always have subs if they want to hear the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9