• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Partial English Cast for Hetalia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnighteve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

You're not alone! I think the best part is that meaning isn't really lost with the rewritten lines and it isn't changing the characters. Upping the humor and cultural/historical references makes me happy in this case. Very Happy Plus, people always have subs if they want to hear the original.

Yay! Glad to not be alone Very Happy But I agree with you totally; you can have fun with the dub without compromising the meaning or characters. In the case of Papuwa, after watching the dub, I went back to view the sub, and while I could appreciate the original, I felt that the dub was far superior in that case and that you could really feel the love and effort they put in. Another example could be the Super Milk Chan Show; I still can't believe they filmed all those "live action" sequences...

Conversely, there was another show I was thinking about...Ghost-something-or-another, that totally re-wrote the dialogue to make it sound like a PG-13 version of Drawn Together. I really didn't like that one, only because there was a lame joke cracked every minute when you knew nothing of the sort was happening. But I digress...

Yay Hetalia! September can't come fast enough! Anime hyper (And neither can the rest of the voice announcements!) Too bad there's no fancy-schmancy DVD release. I still can't get over how floored I was when I got my Toradora boxset in the mail *_*
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

That said, it's possible that Seitz is on there for a writing credit verse a major voice acting roll. I've noticed that the writers for many Funi shows get listed along with the VA (usually at the end of the list - there's probably a set formula to how they do it but I'm on lunch and don't have time to try and do serious research on it). So you may be jumping to a conclusion here that won't totally pan out when it comes to reading the listing.

Yes, I guess that's possible if--NEEEEVER MIIIIIIIIND

Yeah, I discovered that later this afternoon, when I finally made it over to blog.funi - I felt really silly after reading it Embarassed

Quote:
And they have added a Hitler joke into the dub already. Hetalia wasn't offensive enough! Let's fix this! Laughing

I need to go watch the video. When I saw it earlier I didn't have access to a computer that I could really check that part of it out with.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Today's announcement was Japan; aka Christopher "Me wuv yu rong time" Bevins.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I don't recognize most of the English VA names y'all are bandying about so I have no comment or speculation on who's playing who. But what I can say is that the idea of the actors affecting (probably exaggerated) accents for their respective countries, if true, does not appeal to me. I was really hoping they wouldn't do that, though I get the feeling I'm in the minority in this respect.

I lean more your side. I feel the Japanese approach it in a better light. The American dubs can have issues. My usual is in Eglish with the subttitles up to compare the 2 scripts, but if the dub gets too grating (& Funi can on comedy. I liked how ADV managed most of their comedy dubs shy of Ghost Stories which was just the same 5 lame jokes reworked. I've heard comments on commentary track of the actors joking they didn't even have a script-it was all ad-lib which it sure sounds like, but I gamble there was a script considering how we dub stuff here (one at a time vs all together).
I can see the exaggeration because they are caricatures--sort of like the old Looney Tunes take on the enemy in the WWII propoganda stuff. Humor is usually exaggerating certain things, playing them up for laughs like the now standard "Love you long time" everyone falls back on from Good Morning Vietnam. The line itself wasn't particularly a joke in the movie, but it's become shorthand.
Quote:
Estonia: Mike McFarland
-Geotge/Case Closed. Roshi/DBZ. Cain/Trinity Blood.

Quote:
Greece: Vic Mignogna
Al/FMA. Lots of others but that's his basic tone of voice.

Quote:
Switzerland: John Burgmeier
-Kurama/YuYu Hakusho. Shigure/Fruits Basket, Tenshinhan/DBZ

Quote:
Belarus: Monica Rial
-Amy/Case Closed. She was highly used in titles at ADV, but plays a lot of animals also.

Quote:
Holy Roman Empire: Chris Cason
Gluttony/FMA.

Quote:
Chibitalia: Brina Palencia
Chopper/One Piece. She does a cute voice. Yeah, its not Ohtani who is highly recognizable tto English speaking audiences since they kept her as Pikachu & Chopper hits Pika tones a lot, but she's very good. I dislike Tamama/Sgt Frog overall, but she makes the character sufferable.

Quote:
Rome: Christopher R. Sabat
Vegeta & Piccalo/DBZ. Lots of others, but most everyone has heard Vegeta.

Quote:
Austria: Chuck Huber
Hiei/YuYu Hakusho. Lots of others. I remember a commentary where he said he thought he only had 3 voices & then he remembered there was his speaking voice which gave him 4 voices. We won't talk about Kururu...

Quote:
Hungary: Luci Christian
-Wrath/FMA. Nami/One Piece. Another who did a lot for ADV, particularly little boy voices. (phrasing carefully so as not to sound wrong)

Quote:
Update: Jerry Jewell will play Russia.
-Jimmy Kudo/Case Closed. Kyo/Fruits Basket. Claire/Baccano which, as a psycho murderer probably covers all the stuff I've heard about Russia in Hetalia. (scaring everyone or is that someone else?)

Quote:
Update 3: Patrick Seitz will play Germany.
Grimmer/Monster. Nekozawa/Ouran. Hazel/Saiyuki Reload/Gunlock

Quote:
Update 4: Christopher Bevins will play Japan.
Shishiwakamaru /YuYu Hakusho. Mostly know him from commentaries as ADR talking to various cast mambers & talking about playing Buu's dog or whatever.

As I said, I am a tad more hesitant on Funi humor dubs because they over-do it/ham it up too much too often, but there's always the Japanese side if it's too extreme for my blood.
Zags

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Quote:
Greece: Vic Mignogna
Al/FMA. Lots of others but that's his basic tone of voice.

...uh, I think you mean Ed. Anime hyper
youjik33

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I can see the exaggeration because they are caricatures--sort of like the old Looney Tunes take on the enemy in the WWII propoganda stuff.

I think you've just hit on why this bugs me. I never really thought Hetalia was anything but vaguely amusing anyway and don't understand its rabid fanbase... but this dub kind of sounds like it's crossing a line between poking fun and being actually racially offensive. It's making me squirm a little just thinking about it.

I don't plan on watching it though so whatever.
ehh123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6HhOkqwrAM

China's voice has been announced. He is being played by Clarine Harp.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Do some of the accents cross an offensive line? I feel some of the accents are bad and polarizing. So even if there is no ill-intent the accent still can be formed by stereotyping.

Like how China does not have a Chinese accent. It is just a stereotypical asian accent that can not pronounce Ls, which is exactly what Japan's dub VA is doing.
There is also Germany that only turns Ws into Vs but the remainder of the speech is loud but sans German accent.

I like and appreciate people that can replicate accents but mostly when it sounds like that person gained their knowledge from actual speaker's habits.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Do some of the accents cross an offensive line? I feel some of the accents are bad and polarizing. So even if there is no ill-intent the accent still can be formed by stereotyping.

So have you checked out any of this show on Funi/Hulu streaming? Because the entire show in Japanese is pretty much one big exercise in stereotyping humor. The accents are in line with the main "joke" of the series - in other words, making fun of stereotypes of just about everyone and every thing. Hetalia is pretty politically incorrect by American standards from the get go and the accents aren't any worse than the source material is. Still, it's going to be really interesting how much flack this show gets once it gets a general release (it'll either be completely ignored by the general media or a real storm is going to hit over it).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I understand that but even in comedy it is important to have accents that are distinguishable from each other(ex. Japan/China) and more than different pronunciation on one or two letters.
In other words what I am hearing is akin to a High schooler trying to imitate a foreign exchange student's accent badly for humor. What I would rather hear is actors being able to do a decent accent and tell jokes for humor.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:39 pm Reply with quote
England is Scott Freeman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR6gyYMUESE

I'm probably wrong, but to me USA sounds like Sean Schemmel.

Also...... nutburger. Very Happy
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen this show, but based on those clips, I think I'm going to love it. I love comedy that makes me laugh and other people squirm because it's so politically incorrect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:

Sorry but with all the commotion some of the recent accents have been drawing it is nice for Funimation not to use an accent with England.
Laughing
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:

I'd just like to say I'm REALLY glad I didn't bet money on who England's voice would be. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
PBsallad wrote:

Sorry but with all the commotion some of the recent accents have been drawing it is nice for Funimation not to use an accent with England.
Laughing

Yes, they did it's just not a riiculous sounding accent like cockney.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9