• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inuyashiki Last Hero (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote

Inuyashiki Last Hero (TV)

Genres: action, psychological, science fiction, thriller
Themes: android

Plot Summary: Ichiro Inuyashiki is down on his luck. While only 58 years old, his geriatric looks often have him written off as a pathetic old man by the world around him and he's constantly ignored and disrespected by his family despite all that he's done to support them. On top of everything else, his doctor has revealed that he has cancer and it appears that he has little time left in this world. But just when it seems things couldn't get any worse, a blinding light in the night sky strikes the earth where Ichiro stands.
----------------------------------

Series premieres today on Anime Strike.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think it'll take some time to accept the characters. The old man is an interesting character and I really like the human emotions he expresses for this episode.

Visual quality is fine, not groundbreaking but works for this show especially with the machine parts. The CG didn't bother me at least. The sci-fi elements does stand out quite a bit so far. The music is actually one of the better part of this anime so far especially the OP song. I hope they can maintain this momentum.

As for the story, it feels like it's building itself. I mean, there's also that other guy that was with the old man during the mysterious alien landing.I'm pretty sure we'll find out more about him soon too. Good start overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I too kind of feel it might take some getting used to for the main character's design, which is probably a cruel thing for me to actually admit that I find it a little hard to look at. But that might be all the more reason to understand this character, that some mid 20s guy like me could experience.

Part of the expectation might have been that he could use the robot powers to totally dominate the kids, possibly killing them, so it was nice that instead it was something to scare the heck out of them to get them to go away, and then publicly showing the punks for what they did.

I was reading comments in fear that the whole thing is making the younger people all look like horrible people, but I don't think we will necessarily get a case of calling them all a problem, like how his family were not there for him when he needed to call them after getting the bad news. Sure it was terrible of them, but I also think there is a little bit of a case that they too can have things they are dealing with, like the son seems to be being bullied and robbed, which no doubt is causing stress. I think that it might be a bit of an acknowledgment of maybe how he feels, but not just hate on all young people. A gang of hooligans do not account for everyone.

Oh, I remembered a joke I wanted to make. I am sure that if Inuyashiki had choice from either becoming a cyborg, or end up making drugs.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
This series is kind of heavy-handed with its "Respect Your Elders" moral. Every young person so far is either an asshole or a sociopath. The bullies at the end of the episode were rather cringe-worthy. One moment, they're just brats lighting off fireworks, and the next, they're trying to kill a homeless man. It's like Stephen King wrote this series.

They also seem to go out of their way to make Inuyashiki's family look like jerks for ignoring him, except his wife was busy at work and his son was being bullied. The only one there's no excuse for was his daughter. Not to mention he goes into a full meltdown thinking they won't miss him when he didn't even tell them he had cancer. Did he ever stop to think their attitude might change if he actually spoke up?

Of course, this is Japan here. They have a mentality that kids who don't conform to their parents are the worst kind of scum, no matter how abusive they are.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, episode 2 turned into a full-fledged infomercial for Gantz. :/
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
^
And One Piece. Episode one simply mentioned a rich manga author by the name of Oda, but episode two was just full of One Piece references. And indiscriminate killing. spoiler[Man, it was difficult to sit through that little boy drowning in the bath, that was gruesome even for me.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was really hard to sit through, watching a sociopath be given the powers of hyper advanced robot and become a full on psychopath in trying to get an emotional response from himself by murdering an entire family. If there was ever a way to contrast the main character from the first episode, about some decency of even in searching for justice without causing physical harm, we have a kid seems well enough aware that he totally lacks empathy with anyone outside of his immediate bubble and kills for no reason. Sickening from the mother killed so suddenly, to the father grieving the sudden news and begging for his son to be spared, what happened to the kid, and the girl totally losing her mind in what would be a pretty reasonable for situation.

But just to make a comparison to another show this season, there is a world of difference to what is happening here and what King's Game thinks that it is doing. How to write escalation, tension, shock, or even again a character losing their mind or a show of what empathy is. Despite that, I am somewhat afraid of what might still come from this series, I don't want to see any more kid deaths.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^And One Piece. Episode one simply mentioned a rich manga author by the name of Oda, but episode two was just full of One Piece references.

Yeah, I was wondering what the connection is between Oku and Oda.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 was one of the most gruesome episodes I've seen this season. And I do have to mention, this is in a season where there's several darker shows airing at once.

Hiro's such a contrasting character compared to the old man. Their expressions of "I feel alive" is completely compared to each other - Hiro feels alive when he kills while Inuyashiki feels alive when he saves someone.

Pretty good psychology from this week's episode.[/quote]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was really tough to watch. I hope Gramps effin' fillets this a-hole next episode.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
You'd think this being by the author of Gantz would've given people some idea of what was coming. Things do get more measured as it goes on, it's not entirely nihilistic.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Wow, episode 2 turned into a full-fledged infomercial for Gantz. :/

Not to mention the sociopathic teenager calling "Gantz" a 'sh*t-tier manga' while he gushes over "One Piece." Did OP air in "Gantz's" timeslot, by any chance?
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going through episode 3...
I was cracking up at Ichiro's learning to use his spoiler[flight system]. I can't knock him for using spoiler[Astro Boy's theme song to help him visualize activating it]. I also thought the bit of spoiler["Maybe I should of taken my shoes off."] was priceless.
At least he spoiler[saved some people this time...]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I love the way the show is handling Ichiro's situation. I mean, the premise of being turned into a robot is bizarre, of course, but the show is handling it in a fairly realistic way. His fight with the thugs was hilarious, but it looked exactly the way you'd expect an old dude to fight if he couldn't be hurt and had enhanced strength. I am really enjoying this title.

And Psycho's friend has balls. I'm not so sure I'd be telling a sociopathic, all-powerful killer robot (and one who can get oodles of cash, no less) to go take a hike.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Seems that the sociopath was quiker on the uptake on how to use his robot powers, while our hero has taken a little longer, which I think might be because the sociopath is easier thinking of himself less as human while our hero requires more visualisation.

I think that we need some hero costume if someone is going to go around randomly saving people, and cats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3