• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you find your anime / J-pop / J-rock music?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Living in an English speaking country, there aren't exactly many instances where Japanese bands and anime sountracks are promoted to would-be fans. People who like music from Japan have to seek it out actively in order to find songs and groups that you like.

I usually find great music using a sort of domino effect. Simply watching a new anime series I'll be introduced to a particular artist or song. If it's a song I like I'll see if there are other shows that the same artist has done OP or EDs for. Since most shows use different artists for the various tracks in the show, I'll discover other artists.

Also I'm already a Vocaloid nut so I get a large portion of my J-pop and electronic music fix from looking for Hatsune Miku songs alone.

Anime Expo made me a fan of a few new artists since I was excited about CooRie performing in the Exhibition Hall, but another singer by the name of Aina Kase sung also and realized I really like her (even more).

So just listening to new singers and songs causes me to find even more artists and songs. I won't like everything but for every 10 or so songs I hear, another 1-3 will be ones I really like and likely sung by an artist I wasn't familiar with before.

Is that how it works with other people too?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Well the easiest way to find Japanese music is, as you said, to look into the anime OPs and EDs. Thats how I found Nujabes, Shing 02, The Pillows, Maximum the Hormones, ext. But that's usually not enough to quench my thirst for Japanese artists. Another source I use if last.fm. They're a really good way to find artists from any country, of any genre, and any time. Also I have allot of other friends that are really into finding cool Japanese bands so I get info from them too.

Besides that I usually just skim the internet looking for random bands. There are a few websites and blogs out there that specialize in Japanese music. And there's this guy at Naka-kon every year that does an indie japanese music panel. He finds some really cool bands tries to get people in the states to listen to them. I think he use to host a small radio show about it out at KU.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abominaSion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I would say that, that is how it works for most people. Regardless of what music you like. There is great music out there. All you have to do is venture and have an open mind. For the most part, it seems that all music genres have crappy, under-rated and or undiscovered talent... Try not to focus so much on other peoples views(reviews) on bands. But find out for yourself how great or how "city" a band is....

If your looking for some Jrock and or Visual Kei. I suggest http://www.jrockhorizon.com/framesete.htm. It's a good radio with much quantity and diversity. This site also has some links for other online radios.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 am Reply with quote
I go to jpopasia.com if I want to discover new and awesome Japanese music, though they also have music from other Asian countries there. All I have to do is look at the home page and click on a video (maybe an artist) that seems interesting. Sometimes, I also look at the Oricon charts to see what's currently popular in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the other ideas everyone. Even moderately good songs have big replay value for me so it's not like I'm struggling with a shortage of music.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure people have said "just listen to OP and ED themes", because that's what I do. That's how I found out about the Pillows, Stance Punk, TM Revolution and K-ON!(god, I wish they were a real band).
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
youtube. not just the OP's and ED's but click around in AMV's and find out what other fans like, what they link to... sometimes just following random links takes you interesting places.

My favorite example would be while looking for music from MacrossF which I liked [even if very 'j-pop'] I came across what Yoko had done for Macross Plus. I hadn't even seen the show yet, but gave some of the tunes a try. Some of the soundtrack is good, some, not to my taste, but there are several tunes you can't get in the US, and one is called Information High. I was really bummed when I found out that it had never been imported to the US... so the mp3 from youtube had to do. But. This song was that good for me. It led me to another that is called Pulse. Totally different vibe, but amazing just the same.

Jumping around like that, seeing what other people liked enough to make an AMV out of, or just wanted to put up there, takes you some interesting places. And ODDLY? I watched a random OP called Stable Staple, and liked it so much, I went and watched the series that it was from, which is called Bakemonogatari.

so, the street can actually go 2 ways. Also, it isn't just for Anime or J-pop, all genres of music are like this. The added bonus is that for some songs it's the VID that makes me remember the song. Even if I don't know what the words mean...
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The area where I live is a heavily Asian populated community so Cable TV offers several stations where J-pop, K-pop music videos are shown there will also be a little blurb of info like if the song was used in a live action show or anime OP/ED this is how I discovered High n' Mighty colors.

Of course as other posters have stated when viewing an anime show or series the OP/ED will give the viewer much exposure. I remember the day when anime shows would have the seiyuu sing the songs in their character voices not use music bands or groups.
gundam83

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Just recently started back getting into J Music and someone recommend a website called [This website is a known MP3 hosting website] for anime music really good site Smile
daneandnori
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
my favourite band is Monoral and I but their cds from HMV and buy downloads of the new singles from hearjapan.com.
timesteel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll usually check whats trending on the japanese itunes store or I'll check Jrockrevolution.com for jrock.
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@ Gundam83, Ty for you suggestion I did check out the site in your posting and I thought it was really good too, I am bit hooked on it now.

There is a store near by where I live that sells J-pop merchandise including a lot of imported CD's I am now going to check out some of those CD's from the music I heard on the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1