• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiki (TV)

Simulcast available at FUNimation.

OK, I'm gonna get this off my chest and say I hated Megumi; she came off as shallow, whiny, and annoying. With that out of the way, I'm interested in seeing where this series goes. I haven't read the manga, but from what I hear, it has wonderful atmosphere. Clearly, that dog has the best character design ever.
Anyways, here's hoping it's more like Higurashi and less like Ookamikakushi.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
That dog looks a lot like the one from Dennou Coil

A slow paced first episode but definitely one that has got me into the story. I'm interested to see where this is going.

But when is Gackt-sama showing up!? That's the main reason I'm watching!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I loved Megumi's design but found the character herself really overbearing. Of course, considering this is a horror title spoiler[that might have been intentional. It seems like the first one to go is always an obnoxious one]. It'll be interesting to see if she gets more character development spoiler[if she somehow manages to stick around (I think I saw her in the OP so I'm assuming she will)].

Definitely love the feel of the show so far, so I'm hoping the story won't be a disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Well the first thought while watching was "well who ever did these designs must have taken some notes from Clamp, it looks like these guys never eat"

Also the hair colors, did someone just randomly go though a bin of highlighters? I mean I know it's anime and all but ....

So far I'm pretty disappointed, it was a slow start, barely no explanation to why they did all the time changing, and all that stuff. Ya I know it's a first episode but it really did some off as dull and boring for me.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:45 am Reply with quote
So far seems quite interesting. Certainly not afraid to show the more disgusting parts. Not a fan of the character designs (I haven't seen these vertical irises used in a long time).
When the liquor store owner appeared, I've had this sudden urge to go OYAKATA-SAMA!!! Razz
As to other characters, we've got a "cool doctor" (smokes included), "cool monk", clueless gothic lolita and friend. All look pretty standard, though I would hardly expect extraordinary developments from episode 1, but I'm hardly impressed, even though it does have some suspense.
Also, let me get this straight. They call a village-wide search because their daughter isn't home after nine o'clock? Eh.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 am Reply with quote
Wasn't really impressed with the first episode. Found Megumi a little annoying, but I also sort of understood her situation and felt she was kind of in her right to be annoyed/bratty to some extent. Didn't really get a feel for the atmosphere though which is probably what hurt it the most for me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote
Like this show - even Megumi's character. I love cute brats. Based on just this first eppie I can already tell it will be more When They Cry awesome than Ookamikakushi suckfest.
hockey stick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
I like it so far. Not as creepy as I've heard it would be but not Mary Poppins either. I usually don't like bratty characters as they tend to be shallow; as in characters with no depth and not shallow-minded characters. I sort of understand Megumi though. After all she is a teenager (16?) frustrated by her surroundings and she has nobody to share her interests with - I presume. I think the show did give me an understanding of why and not just because she is. Or maybe I just decided early on that I would give her a chance to develop before writing her of as an a-hole.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
On the whole Megumi being a reoccurring character- (major spoilers abound) spoiler[ honestly she doesn't really show up that much (so far) from what I've read, but she's still milling around, being all vampire-y.]

Love the adaptation so far, I'm worried that it might drag on too long and make people loose interest, which would be unfortunate because it's a pretty decent horror storyline.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
I agree with you hockey stick with respect to being given insight into Megumi's snotty attitude. Her yearning to break free of her provincial surroundings for the excitement of big city life doesn't excuse her bad behaviour towards Friendly Girl or the others, but it gives us a basis of understanding. Also, she prised some pathos out of me with her habit of dressing up in (what she considers) the height of fashion even though there is no place to go - plus, her shyness around Big City Boy kind of humanized her a bit.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
An interesting first episode. It is a shame I read the synposis and found out vampires were involved, that sounds like a spoiler to me, I enjoy series where no clue is given to who the culprits could be.

I like the character designs but more specifically Megumi's dress sense. I am a fan of Gothic Lolita (or gothic anything) fashion. I look forward to what type of horror this show will visualise for us, will it attempt to throw us a curveball rather than state "twas solely the vampires doing"? I hope so.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
hockey stick wrote:
Or maybe I just decided early on that I would give her a chance to develop before writing her of as an a-hole.

Hey, I'm totally willing to give her a chance; this is just my first impressions of her in the first episode. If that's what the writer's were going for, then good. I'm predicting she will have a character arc considering that she appears in the OP sequence.
hockey stick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
hockey stick wrote:
Or maybe I just decided early on that I would give her a chance to develop before writing her of as an a-hole.

Hey, I'm totally willing to give her a chance; this is just my first impressions of her in the first episode. If that's what the writer's were going for, then good. I'm predicting she will have a character arc considering that she appears in the OP sequence.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you Very Happy
It's just that when I started watching I thought "wow, she's a bi**h" but also "I wonder why". That's when I decided I wanted to give her a chance and I think the show explained well enough, apart from her attitude towards her friend.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Other than Megumi getting on my nerves with her incessant whining and the generic OP/ED music, I really enjoyed the first episode of Shiki. It makes enough hints to a grim picture about to strike the town in which it is set in giving me some vibes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Look forward to seeing how the mystery pans out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BMJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, let me get this straight. They call a village-wide search because their daughter isn't home after nine o'clock? Eh.

I'd assume that has less to do with her not being home at 9, and more to do with her last being seen walking up a mountain alone. Who knows, maybe the villagers know more than they're letting on about that house.

I'm a pretty big Higurashi fan, so when I'd heard this was similar I had to check it out. The first episode wasn't terrible, but it didn't do that much to hook me yet either. I'll keep following it, but if I end up loosing interest after 5 or 6 episodes it wouldn't surprise me all that much.

It still looks to be one of the better shows this season. Maybe the Spring season this year just spoiled us a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 41