• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! Identity Theft

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The sad part is that those who accuse Hollywood of plagiarizing Anime never seem to often stop to think that maybe great minds just think alike coincidentally when it comes to working with story genres, and that copyright law doesn't dictate who owns genres and general concepts while determining who owns franchises. Plus, they need to think about the possibilty that most Hollywood films accused of plagiarizing Anime are by those who perhaps never read a Manga or watched an Anime in their lives.

If you ask me, those making these accusations are likely to be nothing but a bunch of ignorant Otaku who refuse to accept that there are Hollywood filmmakers just as creative and talented as those in Japan, whether it's animated movie making or live-action filmmaking.
Peroxid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
haha I lol'd at the Megaman getting owned Razz
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
The sad part is that those who accuse Hollywood of plagiarizing Anime never seem to often stop to think that maybe great minds just think alike coincidentally when it comes to working with story genres, and that copyright law doesn't dictate who owns genres and general concepts while determining who owns franchises. Plus, they need to think about the possibilty that most Hollywood films accused of plagiarizing Anime are by those who perhaps never read a Manga or watched an Anime in their lives.

If you ask me, those making these accusations are likely to be nothing but a bunch of ignorant Otaku who refuse to accept that there are Hollywood filmmakers just as creative and talented as those in Japan, whether it's animated movie making or live-action filmmaking.

That's usually what I think, too. In all likelihood, neither was the very first to do something and most follow certain genre guidelines, so similarities are unavoidable. It'd be unrealistic to ask people to check every aspect of their work and make sure none of it had been done in a similar fashion by someone else.

For instance, somebody pointed out a similarity in a song used in the Metal Gear Solid games to Hideo Kojima, even though the song with a bit of similarity was written decades ago in the Soviet Union. And there are lots of examples from various scientific fields where different people came up with the same conclusions at nearly the same time, so both are credited. I'm pretty sure the motivating factor that got Darwin to finally publish his findings was the fact that somebody else was going to publish their own similar findings before him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

After all, you're not a true Kenichi Sonoda villain unless you lose a limb and then replace it with a firearm.

Come on, that happened once or twice. In fact, after the initial Bonnie and Clyde arc of GSC, I don't think we ever see that again. It does get referenced in the anime OVA, though, with some of the stuff Jonathan Washington has in his warehouse.

I wonder if America is portrayed negatively in Patlabor 2. I mean, the threat there is that the Americans will come in and take control if things spiral out of control, but it was Tsuge who was manipulating things.

In Blue Seed, the Prime Minister called in America to nuke Tokyo to prevent the Aragami from spreading across the world, and they were about to when the ship captain noticed the glowing from the Rite of Matsuri.

On the subject of idea-stealing, I bet there's still a number of folks who think Joss Whedon ripped off Outlaw Star with Firefly, just because of the scene with River in the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Americans being portrayed badly in anime? :rolls eyes: Please!
How about Asians, Africans, Blacks, (some) Europeans, Non-Christan, Non-Blue eyed, non-Blonde haired, non-Heterosexual, anti-Democracy, and basically everyone who isn't "American enough" being portrayed in US pop culture right now? Confused

What, you mean the Water Tribe wasn't full of pale white people? Wink

Very Happy Last time I checked Sokka and Katara had very 'tanned' skin.

Thanks!
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
I always thought the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series made Americans look like dicks. I know the CIA has done some shady things in the past, but spoiler[I don't think the USA would fire a nuke at a friendly country like they almost do at the end of 2nd gig. That's just ridiculous.] Also renaming the USA the "American Empire" certainly suggests that we're trying to take over the world.

The way I see it it's no different then all the American TV shows and movies with a Foreign government as the the bad guy. Plus GitS is a series about a espionage and counter-intelligence group so of course their opposition will be from another country
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
star:
Quote:
The sad part is that those who accuse Hollywood of plagiarizing Anime never seem to often stop to think that maybe great minds just think alike coincidentally when it comes to working with story genres, and that copyright law doesn't dictate who owns genres and general concepts while determining who owns franchises.

Tell that to Kurosawa's estate after he won a lawsuit against Sergio Leone over ripping off, er, "remaking", Yojimbo with A Fistful of Dollars. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Plus, they need to think about the possibilty that most Hollywood films accused of plagiarizing Anime are by those who perhaps never read a Manga or watched an Anime in their lives.

So how do you explain Gotham Knight?

Quote:
ignorant Otaku who refuse to accept that there are Hollywood filmmakers just as creative and talented as those in Japan,

Yeah, Katzenberg really proved his stuff after the Lion King with all those crappy CG cartoons.

Greed:
Quote:
It'd be unrealistic to ask people to check every aspect of their work and make sure none of it had been done in a similar fashion by someone else.

Um, it's totally realistic, given that you don't wanna get sued. See James Cameron having to pay off Harlan Ellison for ripping off an Outer Limits episode for Terminator.

As for a "positive" portrayal of Americans in manga, wouldn't "My Darling is a Foreigner" count?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
On the subject of idea-stealing, I bet there's still a number of folks who think Joss Whedon ripped off Outlaw Star with Firefly, just because of the scene with River in the case.

Well, I should hope so .. it would be an insult to Outlaw Star if it did not have something adapted by Firefly ... it would be like saying it was all derivative work with nothing original worth using.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Speaking as an avowed Angel Cop enthusiast, it's always been my take that the stupendously nationalistic / anti-American / anti-Semitic content of the script were less to do with Ichiro Itano and more to do with his longtime collaborator Shou Aikawa, whose works often tend to include something completely crazy on that level. He's pretty much been given a retroactive pass for this stuff due to having worked on this relatively little-known series called *ahem* Fullmetal Alchemist, but I firmly believe Ichiro Itano's interests lie primarily in motorcycles, jet planes, guns, missile swarms, and bloodshed. This was still not enough to make me watch through all of Blassreiter...yet.

It's interesting that Gunsmith Cats is generally praised while Mad Bull is near-universally panned, since the reason cited was the level of visual accuracy in depicting Chicago even though the characters and events were positively outlandish. Yet the same is true for Mad Bull with regards to its visual depiction of New York City. The fascinating thing about the works of Kazuo Koike is that the artists he collaborates with all have a knack for putting in heavy-duty research from a visual standpoint. Mad Bull looks like 1980s New York, Offered's depiction of the inside hallways of MIT is 100% spot-on, and the worlds of Lone Wolf and Cub/Samurai Executioner/Path of the Assassin look exactly like how you'd expect feudal Japan to. It's the events that unfold which shatter the illusion. The real streets of NYC are not routinely terrorized by Chinese tanks, Count Dracula, wheelchair-bound cyborg Latino drug dealers, or the Predator (thus forcing the NYPD to fight back using the power loader from Aliens). You can't buy canned coffee from a vending machine, and they certainly can't double as grenades no matter what elderly diabetics do to them.

And it's not that Gunsmith Cats isn't just about as insane on the plot and violence/dismemberment metrics. After all, you're not a true Kenichi Sonoda villain unless you lose a limb and then replace it with a firearm. Yet somehow, my love for Gunsmith Cats and Kenichi Sonoda in general has greatly diminished over the years, as the release of the Omnibus editions managed to switch on a light bulb in my head. Suddenly, it became more apparent that while Kenichi Sonoda digs cars, guns, and robots...what he's MAINLY into is naked underage girls. Sad Hmm, maybe THAT'S why Gunsmith Cats gets all the kudos despite being very similar to Mad Bull 34...

Rakkan wrote:
What's it like to be so much of a fan boy that you delude yourself into thinking Mad Bull and GSC are similar in any fashion beyond being gun heavy action series' set in America?

It's pretty awesome, actually. Tell me, what's it like providing no argument to the contrary besides "no it isn't"? Because as Michael Palin so famously said, that isn't an argument. It's just contradiction.

Listen: both are targeted to the same seinen demographic. Both draw their primary influences from American action movies and television shows of the 1970s and 1980s. Both are quite high up there on on the violence and sexuality scale. Both feature very detailed depictions of locations and firearms while simultaneously being incredibly unrealistic. If you've only ever seen the respective anime titles for each, then I can see how you may be skeptical of the comparison, but this is not an arbitrary flight of fancy on my part.

Are you honestly going to compare a manga with like one lolita character to a manga where EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN is protrayed in an intensly negative light. I mean yeah New York in the 80's is a lot different than New York now but it sure as hell wasn't a hell hole where your either a rapist, a drug dealer or a moron.

Yes Sonada is into lolicon but his more into lesbians, I mean do you honestly not notice that Rally isn't really into guys? In the original manga the main villains plan was to turn Rally into her lesbian sex slave. Honestly it's hard to take anything you say seriously just because you always exxagerate what you say. Gunsmith Cats isn't sexist nor is it racist so why the hell would you even compare the two based entirely on the thought process that "lolita is bad". Look I am not a loli fan and I was kind of unconfortable with the backstory of Minnie May but I am not going to start making it look like Kodomo No Jikan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, there is that volume where underage girls are in Rally's shower. And a chapter starts with a picture of Rally when she was a little girl, stark naked, her private parts hidden behind a bit gun she's holding. But it's not like there's actual sex with underage characters going on in the manga. It's all lolicon teasing.

Also, characters like Roy Colman are represented as being very fair, likable people who sort of put up with Rally's hotshot attitude. And there's various of pretty reasonable Americans in Gunsmith Cats.

Rally and May aren't exactly terrible people themselves. It's not like they just gun down random people. Rally would rather not have to shoot anyone, though she does enjoy her guns. But she doesn't enjoy them in a "AMERICANS LOVE GUNS" sort of way. Her love of guns is treated as a bit extreme even by the other characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I hate this so gorram much! Twisted Evil

But that's just ridiculous and nobody listens to them. What really gets me is when people suggest Outlaw Star first thing to Firefly fans. Besides the above, and the fact that they are independent operators of spaceships, the two shows have very little in common. Not to be down on OS, because it is a decent (and more importantly, fun) sci-fi show in general, but a Firefly-like show it is not. At all.

A much better suggestion (and show, for that matter) would be Cowboy Bebop. They are very similar thematically, just on opposite sides of the law.

But I guess CB doesn't have girls in suitcases.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh look my favorite topic of Kimba/ Leo arrives Anime hyper.I am someone who is an actual fan and as seen every version of this show. I have researched everything to death for years.

In reading more I'm so glad someone has read hamlet and can actually say Lion King and Hamlet are hardly alike. Thank you. Saves me from explaining that Anime hyper Oh and they provided the site all good Smile

[quote="vashfanatic"]
Orange Hollow wrote:
Re: similarities between shows, I honestly have not seen Kimba the White Lion to make any comparisons, though the fact that it has humans in it already means Lion King wasn't a direct copy. If Disney would just admit, "Yeah we took inspiration from it" this whole debate would never have happened.

Exactly that all we needed was Disney to fess up, but no they just shrug it off. They pretty much confessed in DVD release that has a white lion in the pre-production.
Rakkan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Listen: both are targeted to the same seinen demographic. Both draw their primary influences from American action movies and television shows of the 1970s and 1980s. Both are quite high up there on on the violence and sexuality scale. Both feature very detailed depictions of locations and firearms while simultaneously being incredibly unrealistic. If you've only ever seen the respective anime titles for each, then I can see how you may be skeptical of the comparison, but this is not an arbitrary flight of fancy on my part.
So you've added demographic to gun heavy action series. Wow that makes a big difference, I mean how blind was I to not see them being so alike. No. Cast of characters? Not even close. Narrative? Not there either. Themes? No, sorry. General feel of the story? Nope. Art? About as similar as a box of cereal to the pyramid of Giza. Violence and sexuality scale? GSC is no where near Mad Bull.

You made the claim. Back it up with something better than gun heavy action series' set in America made for an older audience.

Until then; nuh uh
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote
*ignores juvenile argument above him*

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Read Or Die OVA yet on the subject of portrayal of Americans in animé. Our president is a cowardly pants-wetting nuke-launching idiot, and the country as a whole is treated as a stupid bulldog on England's leash. It's actually pretty awesome.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Read Or Die OVA yet on the subject of portrayal of Americans in animé. Our president is a cowardly pants-wetting nuke-launching idiot, and the country as a whole is treated as a stupid bulldog on England's leash. It's actually pretty awesome.

And then in the TV series spoiler[it turns out England is evil! Because they want to restart the British Empire! For some reason! Using an old guy! Who is somehow important! But it's never explained!] Can you tell I dislike the TV series?

I recently re-read Akira; my first and second time through I really was on board with the "stupid American military!" thing (remember: some of the good scientists were Americans) but on this, the third time, I sort of felt sympathetic to them. I mean, if I were faced with Tetsuo, who just spoiler[blew a hole in the bleeping moon], I might try to bomb him out of existence too, especially if I had no idea that a group of good psychics were already working on a more peaceable solution. So I suppose sometimes it's a matter of the reader's perspective.

Of course, the manga series that should be the most unsympathetic to Americans, Barefoot Gen, is actually remarkably forgiving, becoming more of an anti-war series all around than an anti-American one. At least in volumes 1-3. Still need to read more...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6