• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, June 27-July 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:03 am Reply with quote
Naruto Vol. 48 is still #1. Once again, Naruto Vol. 47 is back on the list...x_x And I'm surprised to see The Last Airbender on the list... Confused
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 am Reply with quote
Why is that horrible movie on the list? Mad
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why the adaption of the movie is on the list and not the Zuko prequel, I've heard that one was good while the adaption wasn't that good (and that one has been out for a few weeks now, guess the movie must be more successful than some of us were hoping).
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

Probably because even if the movie itself is bad; the cartoon and apparently the manga are still good. It's not like its one of those "screen shots with word bubble" type of things. They got a different book for that. The art looks nice so I will definitely check it out if I remember to next time I hit up my Borders.

The movie... well it isn't doing horrible. It cost over $100 million to make apparently but its earned over half that in the first week. Around $76 million I last heard. So if you compare it to like DB:E and Speed Racer and Astro Boy, it's doing fairly well and at least better then they did. It'll most likely break even by the time it leaves theaters which to hollywood would probably be enough to justify movies 2 & 3. Here's hoping M. Knight doesn't continue with it though if it does.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
It'll most likely break even by the time it leaves theaters which to hollywood would probably be enough to justify movies 2 & 3. Here's hoping M. Knight doesn't continue with it though if it does.

But of course, he probably will, as long as it makes money. I just hope they get a different writer who could write a better script. Then maybe the inevitable 2nd movie might not be too bad.
Triané

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
As a huge fan of Black Butler, I'm extremely happy to see that it's on the list. Very Happy At the same time, it may bring in some over the top fans into the fandom which would in time make me very sad.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
Maid Sama! made the list! Is this its first appearance? Nice to see another shoujo title doing well for Tokyopop!! I'm very much enjoying the series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

I can't understand it.

How could they turn such a fun, action-packed and enjoyable TV series into such unmitigated garbage?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:

]for that. The art looks nice so I will definitely check it out if I remember to next time I hit up my Borders.

The movie... well it isn't doing horrible. It cost over $100 million to make apparently but its earned over half that in the first week. Around $76 million I last heard. So if you compare it to like DB:E and Speed Racer and Astro Boy, it's doing fairly well and at least better then they did. It'll most likely break even by the time it leaves theaters which to hollywood would probably be enough to justify movies 2 & 3. Here's hoping M. Knight doesn't continue with it though if it does.

The production budget is 150 million then the marketing buget is another 100 mil so I don't think it'll get that back
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Maid Sama! made the list! Is this its first appearance? Nice to see another shoujo title doing well for Tokyopop!! I'm very much enjoying the series.

Yes, it is its first time on the list!! (and in its debut week too!!) Very Happy CONGRATS TO MAID SAMA!!!!!! XDDDDD

In fact, congrats to Tokyopop as well--I believe this is the first time they've been on the NY Times Manga Bestseller list in 2010! And it couldn't have been with a worthier title~~ ^^ Go, go Maid Sama!!!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

(Well, once September rolls around and Tokyopop's "Hetalia" hits the shelves, TP will be a staple on the list ever after, I'm sure. I'm expecting *at least* Black Butler-like performance for that title~)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
The production budget is 150 million then the marketing buget is another 100 mil so I don't think it'll get that back

Close, but you were slightly off on the marketing budget.

From Wikipedia: "made for $150 million and marketed with a budget of $130 million, making total costs at least $280 million"

I really dont think they're going to break even. They've only made 79 Mil. in domestic ticket sales so far, but I guess once you add in worldwide sales and DVD/BD sales it'll be quite a bit more.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
In fact, congrats to Tokyopop as well--I believe this is the first time they've been on the NY Times Manga Bestseller list in 2010! And it couldn't have been with a worthier title~~ ^^ Go, go Maid Sama!!!! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I'm glad to see Maid-Sama has been doing well for them. (TANs streaming of the anime has probably helped increase interest/awareness in the series). I haven't started buying the series yet, but I plan to get around to it soon.

But this isn't the first time this year TP has been on the list. In fact, they've been on the list this year several times already. Every volume of Alice in the Country of Hearts has made it on there, along with Trinity Blood Vol.12. And Warriors: Clan in Need even topped the list the week it came out.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Sooo... why did Twilight appear on the GN list but Avatar is on the manga list?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

I think it has something to do with how they categorize the book to publishers. Yen Press's OEL stuff very rarely gets on this list, and that includes the Twilight comic. Another reason for the twilight comic not being on here is that it's hardcover. Del Rey on the other hand seems to categorize most of their OEL stuff as "manga".

Glad to see Maid-Sama finally made the list, I love that title. And I also own that Airbender comic and I have no problem at all for the money I paid for it; the art is the best OEL art I've seen yet, and it's basically, like the movie, a rehash of the first Airbender season, minus all the bad acting and directing. So it's good if you're an Airbender fan. The Zuko prequel was nice too.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Because its a hardcover. They have a different list for hardcover GNs (because most manga are paperback they dont a seperate Hardcover list for them, so they just end up on the Hardcover GN list)

EDIT: Oops, already beaten to it.

Last edited by doubleO7 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2