• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design our Icons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
Quote:
I don't say this to be mean, but as an actual graphic designer (it's my profession) the design for those are very dated and not very good.

I posted the link on this message board because the form wouldn't let me send a second entry, not because I wanted any (professional) critiques. I know my icons are simple-- that's what I was going for. Simple, cute, instantly recognizable. BTW, I will never forgive you for using the phrase "not very good". Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
you should really take into consideration current trends in graphic design when creating things of this nature.

I am not involved in graphic design and I don't follow trends.

Quote:
Again, I don't say this to be mean, but to help you improve on design skills if that is something you are interested in.

Actually, my degree is in fashion design. Art is something I do for fun. Now take your condescending attitude somewhere else. Good day Sir!
Now now, don't be rude. Outlaw was giving you a basic critique from a graphic designer's point of view (which, being that I'm studying to become one as well, I can understand their points). They weren't be condescending; they were giving you honest, constructive criticism. I'm sure in your field of fashion design you get the same thing, correct? And I would like to hope you don't act in this same way when someone tells you that your shirt design or something to that nature is "not very good".

From a graphic designer's point of view, yes they aren't very good, but I do say that have a bit of charm to them. If I call it right, they are pixel art and not vector which, while fine and interesting on their own, makes for a bit lower quality artwork. However, being that very few people even do pixel art in this fashion anymore (I'm assuming you used MS Paint, a program most graphic artists abhor and I kind of adore), it's an nice twist on typical graphic art styles.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Kimyo, I like your icons; they're simple, easy to understand, and to the point.

People telling me that my work is crap when such critism is neither necessary or desired would piss me off too. Their opinions don't matter anyway, it's the editor's choice, not theirs.
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Any idea when the winning icons will be chosen?

I'm getting antsy!
outlaw55

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Now now, don't be rude. Outlaw was giving you a basic critique from a graphic designer's point of view (which, being that I'm studying to become one as well, I can understand their points). They weren't be condescending; they were giving you honest, constructive criticism. I'm sure in your field of fashion design you get the same thing, correct? And I would like to hope you don't act in this same way when someone tells you that your shirt design or something to that nature is "not very good".

From a graphic designer's point of view, yes they aren't very good, but I do say that have a bit of charm to them. If I call it right, they are pixel art and not vector which, while fine and interesting on their own, makes for a bit lower quality artwork. However, being that very few people even do pixel art in this fashion anymore (I'm assuming you used MS Paint, a program most graphic artists abhor and I kind of adore), it's an nice twist on typical graphic art styles.

^This^

Also, Kimyo, the problem was that they were too simple, they actually were too comlex Anime smile;;;

That being said, designing simple icons like this was one of the first tasks we were given in my first graphic design class. We were all told to design a road sign that would convey a particular message of what to look for up ahead. When you really got down to it, the more complexity you add to a simple design, the longer it takes to decipher it. There is also the goal of creating something someone can figure out what it is without having to actually look it up.

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, when designing something to go along with other graphical elements that already exist, there is the importance of matching the existing style already put in place to avoid an overall amateurish look. In all honestly, the icons they have in place now are actually very appropriate. Aside from the rough look to them as they were quickly thrown together, a slight touch-up on most of them would make them quite presentable. Only a few of the originals needed to be redone to simplify them and make them more understandable from glance.

Again, I don't mean to offend you, just trying to be a little honest...I apologize for hurting your feelings.
misscouzie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw55, you said that you are a graphic designer but you can't even put your work in front of everybody. You have no right to criticize. Being a Graphic Designer doesn't mean that you're good, it just mean that you are paid for the thinks you do.
If you're a real man, post your work!
outlaw55

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
misscouzie wrote:
Outlaw55, you said that you are a graphic designer but you can't even put your work in front of everybody. You have no right to criticize. Being a Graphic Designer doesn't mean that you're good, it just mean that you are paid for the thinks you do.
If you're a real man, post your work!

Heh, I will agree with you that because I work as one does not necessarily make me good. As for posting my work, since I did not do any icons I cannot post those. Since I am not currently looking for work and most of my jobs have been through a company, I don't have a website portfolio at this time.

Edit: If you want some examples, just drop me a PM and I have a few sources online that contain work of mine that I can point you to (I don't wanna seem like I'm advertising anything on the forum since it is work for things that are for sale).

Last edited by outlaw55 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
ArmchairTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I understand where Outlaw is coming from. I went for the vectored approach with my submission as well, trying to match the duo-tone style of ANN as best as possible.

Ultimately however, there is no cut and paste way to do things and everyone has their own style. In the end, it's up to ANN to choose which style they like best. Very Happy
myochan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish someone would tell us something already! I'm way beyond antsy! List of DVDs up for grabs, gallery of all our entries, news, anything'll be appreciated! Wink
misscouzie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it will be appreciated.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Posting the entries at midnight Smile

Sorry for the delay, I've been incredibly busy.
qwertybob900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks dude
myochan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Awright! Thanks!
Razzuel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Nicole Peterson's icons are by far the best out of this set of entries. Her icons immediately convey their meaning, and her clear, simplistic design looks the best, especially in comparison to the other entries.

Rivelets icons are my second favorite, but they're problematic — they don't immediately convey their meaning. I love the creativity and originality, but their meaning is either lost or too difficult to decipher upon first glance or even during subsequent viewings. I think Rivelets could improve upon this design with a couple more drafts, though I don't think the contest would permit that.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I like Ashlee's and Mugimaru's.

Ashlee's have clear iconic descriptors. Mugimaru's have the actual words contained in the icon. Either/or both would work well in telling me what the item is about.
myochan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Mark Rune's icons are the nicest, I think but the images he chose for 'interest', 'videos', 'reviews' and 'convention' don't really seem to fit. 'Views', "press release' and 'contests' are pretty much spot-on, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9