• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The grade was a shock because the text review seemed more optimistic but. I guess a C+ is about right for something that's going to be mostly for already estabished fans.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange that people dismiss the movie because it is just like an extended episode of the series. Dudes, the show rocked, and if the movie is just like it then the movie deserves something in the "B+" to "A+" range (depending on the exact episode it resembles).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
A must-see for me, I LOVE Trigun. I just really hope FUNi manages to wrangle back up the old cast. I mean, really, there's only four people they have to get. I doubt anyone will mind too bad if Trigun Kitty isn't the same person. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Is this Trigun movie the one Nightow showed us a preview of at AX 2009? If so, sweet =3
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I find it strange that people dismiss the movie because it is just like an extended episode of the series. Dudes, the show rocked, and if the movie is just like it then the movie deserves something in the "B+" to "A+" range (depending on the exact episode it resembles).

Yeah, and, not to get off-topic, but the Bebop movie was a blast and was also basically an extended episode. Been waiting for this.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
A must-see for me, I LOVE Trigun. I just really hope FUNi manages to wrangle back up the old cast. I mean, really, there's only four people they have to get. I doubt anyone will mind too bad if Trigun Kitty isn't the same person. Laughing

Yeah, like the success and fun of the Bebop movie, this is going to come down to Funimation doing whatever it takes to gather up the original dub cast, and I like Funi so I hope they can pull it off and that they did a lot of the leg work on that before paying for the license, which they did a great of on the main four for the new Slayers and totally made the show.

Agreed, we're talking a pretty small group of people here. And something like this doesn't get made everyday so screw any scheduling conflicts or similar lameness that might delay it a month or two, I'll wait a little longer if it means all four return and the movie gets it's full nostalgic glory.
orionism1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
Yep, Yep can't wait for the release of this movie. As for this review? I'm of the opinion that it would have been huge mistake for the creators to even think about creating an updated cgi version. I was glad to hear that the artistic style was kept the same. If it does feel like an extended episode of the original series then I applaud Satoshi Nishimura for staying true to his original creation and giving us a little more Vash and friends.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

The anime wasn't that good especially after rewatching the flaws are more apparent now then when I watched it six years ago on Adult Swim, the manga is superior given it's stronger narrative and conclusive ending. The movie is just an extended episode of the less than stellar first half of the anime and is pretty much pointless, any praise for this film is nostalgia talking and I think the "C" grade is just being generous
humantyphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

The anime wasn't that good especially after rewatching the flaws are more apparent now then when I watched it six years ago on Adult Swim, the manga is superior given it's stronger narrative and conclusive ending. The movie is just an extended episode of the less than stellar first half of the anime and is pretty much pointless, any praise for this film is nostalgia talking and I think the "C" grade is just being generous

Why would I want a movie based on the shitty main plot. I glad this will be similar to the good part of the show.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
So its basically an extended filler episode as opposed to a sequel/prequel? Does that mean it takes place during the tv show?

Since Wolfwood is in it, I would assume yes.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
It sounds to me like they went with the approach Cowboy Bebop did with its movie. I think the the big difference here is directing, while Bebop's movie was just an extended episode of the TV series, you could still show to a non-fan and have it make sense. I think the reason why this gets a "c+" is BECAUSE you have to be familiar with the show (which to be honest i never really had too much love for).

and lets face it people, Trigun is no Bebop, and its no where near as good as people make it out to be.

on a side note; now that both Bebop and Trigun have movies, wheres my Outlaw Star movie?! Evil or Very Mad
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Nonsense. The manga is like a rough draft by comparison. It has no sense of pacing or flow. It's pretty forgettable B material. It's the anime's subtlety in it's presentation and story telling and the way it slowly lays out the characters and then reveals everything bit by bit that elevates that B material into a masterpiece.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, it sounds like a lot of fun. Do want.

I wonder when it'll be dubbed, or if the English dub cast of the series will return. It was an Animaze dub, but Funimation has the license.

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd wager that they'll do what they can as far as getting the original English cast and have their own people fill in where needed, like how they did with Eva. Bosh has worked for Funimation before, so I don't see that as much of a problem. The rest, I can't guess at, but I'm sure Funi will try. Although, only four people need to be brought in for this since they're the only returning characters, so I'm hopeful.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, Bosch could probably do it, but his one role for Funimation was a one shot character in the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and that was only one episode, I suppose he could do what Vic does if they get him back and go down there for a week.

I will buy this movie, 'cause I love Trigun, forget all the whiners who nitpicked at the original series, just have fun with it.

As for the 10 year old artstyle, what's wrong with being nastalgic? There's way too much CGI everywhere else, and it's nice to see something done the old fashioned way.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Well, Bosch could probably do it, but his one role for Funimation was a one shot character in the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and that was only one episode, I suppose he could do what Vic does if they get him back and go down there for a week.

Actually, Bosch was in Beck too, so that's two FUNi roles. Razz

Of the four that are needed to come back, they're all still active in the anime industry too. Bosch is a given, Elias-Fahn is still around (even if not as much as she used to be), and Nimoy may be mainly doing behind-the-scenes work lately, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to come back for Wolfwood.

The real question is Milly's actress.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I would guess that Lia Sargent is still around somewhere...

I do also hope they can get all the English voices for this.

Personally I will see (and buy) this As Soon As Possible.

Really big fan of Trigun.

I agree with the person who asked about an Outlaw Star movie!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3