• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shocker Toys: One Piece, Soul Eater SDCC Exclusives

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
There's a picture of the Luffy figure under the Funimation section on the Exclusives section of Comic-con.

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exclusives.php?company=funimationent
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
The photo for the Luffy figure can be found here:
[url]
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_exclusives.php?company=funimationent

on the official Comic-Con site[/url]
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Besides my dislike of SCCC Exclusives in gerneral. I don't really like the shape of that toy type.
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Lame, I wonder what they're going to do with 500 unsold boxes.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Just because we don't like them doesn't mean they won't sell. These SDCC exclusives will go for high prices on the collector's market after the show if i recall corectly.
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Just because we don't like them doesn't mean they won't sell. These SDCC exclusives will go for high prices on the collector's market after the show if i recall corectly.

It's selling for 25 bucks plus from the feedback I've seen from OP fans who spent a ton of money on merchandise they all hate it too.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

Yup, and a lot of stores are doing pre-orders right now, with many of them already sold out even before the convention is even open. Because of the really low numbers of the Luffy and Lord Death figures, 200 and 500, those will probably be gone by the end of Day 1. There will be 150,000 people walking through that dealer hall also... I know I'm gonna try to get a Luffy for sure.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ha, the lord death one looks hilarious. If only he had giant hands.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I am not really into the shape of these toys so no loss there but I would have liked to get that Brotherhood T-shirt (also on the Funi SDCC site) that I also see is unfortunately a SDCC Exclusive.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, when I read the headline "shocker toys" I thought this was about something...unsavory...
firecrouch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It seems like such a waste to make these con-exclusive after FUNimation made such a big deal about these toys months ago.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised One Piece's are selling that well if what skyoeent said is correct. Sure, Soul Eater's a given (tons of fans, and with only one PVC and a few trading figures, you don't have many options anyway), but come on, One Piece has the fantastic Portrait of Pirates line and several other good lines as well. I guess people who buy everything One Piece will get them, but I can't imagine there would be many people with pockets that deep.

Regardless, I have no interest in this line, the designs are really lame IMHO ("hey, rather than spend money and make everyone's body consistent, let's just use the exact same body build. We can even just have a basic blob for a head and just draw the character's face on it! Yeah!"). Hopefully FUNimation will find more appealing merchandise deals in the future.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I'm surprised One Piece's are selling that well if what skyoeent said is correct. Sure, Soul Eater's a given (tons of fans, and with only one PVC and a few trading figures, you don't have many options anyway), but come on, One Piece has the fantastic Portrait of Pirates line and several other good lines as well. I guess people who buy everything One Piece will get them, but I can't imagine there would be many people with pockets that deep.

Regardless, I have no interest in this line, the designs are really lame IMHO ("hey, rather than spend money and make everyone's body consistent, let's just use the exact same body build. We can even just have a basic blob for a head and just draw the character's face on it! Yeah!"). Hopefully FUNimation will find more appealing merchandise deals in the future.

The POP's are really cool, indeed, but, when you're at a con, especially one this size, and your choices of anime goods is swamped by loads of other things, your choices become slim. And when you're in the spirit of the con and at a moment, $25, especially for a Comic-Con exclusive, isn't all that much, especially considering that some "floppy" comic exclusives sell for $10-15, regular version being $2.95.
I, myself, noticed I've been buying less at Comic-Con and more at Anime-Expo because of my interests. But, also, Comic-Con is a much older age demographic than an anime convention, so you'll also have a lot more money flow there. An anime fan at Comic-Con will probably fall into an older demographic and will most likely be into something obscure as those figures, look at the urban vinyl boom, and those are about $60 a pop. Another type of person you'll find at Comic-Con is the hardcore collectors, which have the money to blow... and there's a lot of them (see the Mattel San Diego Comic-Con 2010 exclusive page, some are already sold out and they just went on sale a couple of hours ago).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
Lame, I wonder what they're going to do with 500 unsold boxes.

Bury them in a New Mexico landfill site along with all the other E.T. The Extra Terrestrial Atari 2600 game cartridges. Where else? Smile
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
hey, rather than spend money and make everyone's body consistent, let's just use the exact same body build.

What the hell?

Quote:
We can even just have a basic blob for a head and just draw the character's face on it! Yeah!

You must not be a figure collector. Check out the Revoltech, figma, and Nendoroid lines. Exact same technique is being used.

Quote:
Hopefully FUNimation will find more appealing merchandise deals in the future.

I find this line appealing and less expensive. Sadly, it's these damn tent pole titles getting the figures while the rest of FUNimation's title offerings sit idle.

I'd love to get a set of these from Familiar of Zero, Shakugan no Shana, Ghost Hunt, and many other series FUNI has rights to.

Because buying them from Japan is not only costly, but hard to do given most sell out long before we even see them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2