• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 3 Western Singers Succeeding in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be so sure. Beckii's daddy once visited her thread and mentioned that they're taking care of that. I'm guessing her parents are level-minded enough to make sure she lives happily afterwards.

Well, it's a tricky business, and responsibility is even more required.

Last edited by egoist on Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I know this is completely unrelated, but proof of that is the producer, Scott Storch. The man was rich as all hell and where is he now. And you have to think if any of these girls are nearly as famous as he is. I'm sure they don't have the otaku idol retirement plan!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I'm not even sure if these girls are fluent in Japanese. I remember that Beckii Cruel did a cover of that meme Danjo or something like that and about 80% of that song was in english.

Himeka is fluent. She's doing great, working very hard to get where she is today, and don't see her career diminishing anytime soon. She has a huge fanbase and wouldn't be surprised if she moved into VA work later.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:45 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Even then, unless your name last name is Hirano or Hayashibara, your popularity is pretty much over. The only reason Hayashibara is still praised is because there are some old anime fans who still love her.

I'm not even sure if these girls are fluent in Japanese. I remember that Beckii Cruel did a cover of that meme Danjo or something like that and about 80% of that song was in english.

Don't worry California and New York would make a place for them soon they'll be in the Hollywood Wake of Fame for their careers. Just watch! America has their eye on them.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
The only reason Hayashibara is still praised is because there are some old anime fans who still love her.

I take it you haven't watched Paprika, then.

I'm guessing that they'll make enough money to start doing songs they want to do again.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
seriously that 13 year old 0_o I'm sorry I've heard better than that. Though it is neat seeing gaijin getting some jobs out there.
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Why does Beckii even bother managing a japanese blog if she can't type, read, or speak the damn language correctly?

Same thing applies to a few certain pixiv artists as well...
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard about Beckii Cruel is that she can't sing (her pronunciation of Japanese is also sub par) or dance and she is probably popular among older men. She's not that well known, she's sold to a niche market.

I haven't heard of the other two.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
o3o Now here's something, what about Kylee? She Was Born in America and what not and got signed to Sony Music Japan? was she signed too early to be included in the list? or is it because she's half Japanese? >3>

gapgapgap wrote:

Same thing applies to a few certain pixiv artists as well...

o3o No, same thing does not apply! Art is Visual, You don't need to understand the comments to view the art. Shareing art is not anything like sharing stories on a blog o`Ao /pixiv user/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Just to let ya guys know, much of the foreign expats in Japan think Beckii is a no-talent joke, particularly the Brits....

Anyways, if ya guys wanna talk about Western singers succeeding in Japan, the most acclaimed by Japanese and best respected among expats is arguably Jero:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2008/02/01/jero-japans-first-black-enka-singer/

http://www.jero.jp/pc/

teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
fuzaco wrote:
I'm Alive's lyrics is 100% english iirc, but Himeka's songs are fully japanese.

Becca's full album is completely English. It's quite good, actually. My favorite track is probably 'Turn to Stone'.

And yes, Sakura-Alchemist, Kylee was probably not mentioned since she is half-Japanese. Though she's released several full English EPs and only recently released her first Japanese-language single.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
fuzaco wrote:
I'm Alive's lyrics is 100% english iirc, but Himeka's songs are fully japanese.

Becca's full album is completely English. It's quite good, actually. My favorite track is probably 'Turn to Stone'.

Yeah, Alive is great (I like Turn Up The Stereo and Shibuya)
Becca's supposed to have some Japanese songs in her second album though.
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Becca's voice is great and I love the song Ashita which she collaborated with Blaise Plant (Monkey Majik <3).

Beckii on the other hand...
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm so surprised that someone from my home province is actually doing well in Japan in signing. Hope she can keep it up and make it really big.
ojamajolilac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Pretty much everyone agrees that HIMEKA and Becca are good/great/amazing (depending on your picky-ness) whether you're a fan or not. Sure they're using their gaijin situation for some gimmick, at least that's not the only thing they offer.

Becca is an U15 idol. Did anyone expected her to have any talents? She does lack a 100 watt smile that all idols have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3