• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Eldred Scrolls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
"At CPM we would got letters from prisons... about the hentai."
Funny :lol:

He's not joking. There was a (small) section of wall devoted to the best of them and other crazy fan letters.

I personally really like VOTOMS, but pretty much your mileage on the show is determined by your enjoyment of seeing the absolutely ridiculous situations Chirico can miracle his way out of. Especially in Pailsen Files and Shining Heresy.

EDIT: Should probably quantify this. For all the former may imply, Chirico suffers more injuries, more setbacks and gets more robots shot out from underneath him than pretty much all mecha protagonists combined over the course of everything. It goes about as well as one man vs. the galaxy would go, but he just simply DOESN'T DIE.

The shows are good (sans the second half of the Deadworld Sunsa arc of the original show... what a painful part after a great start). There's a lot of hard-edged stuff, but a good amount of some pretty ridiculous plot to swallow as well. It balances out pretty well though.

Of course, based on Shining Heresy and the new Phantom Arc, I don't think they'll be finished with VOTOMS until they've killed off any and all named, important characters. I hope Teitania makes an appearance and they haven't just forgotten her...

Last edited by Hunter Sopko on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dizzon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Great now every time I read or hear Tomino's name I'm going to think of Daffy Ducks ass, thank you Tim Eldred!

I will cynically add, as much as I enjoy the gundam franchise I have always envisioned the "Higher Ups" at Bandai's reaction to any new gundam series as "We don't care what it's about, how many toys/models has it sold for us?"
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And I'm supposed to believe that the ditzy pop singer is also somehow an amazing military leader? Save that type of thing for moe shows.

Is it less believable than an angsty teenager hopping into a Mobile Suit and pretty much instantly being able to pilot it in a fight?

Quote:
And as I said, the lack of complexity in the Titans themselves is compensated by the complexities of their origin and their effect.

There is no such compensation in Gundam SEED.

Well obviously I disagree, as do others. I think there is a lot to like about SEED. Hence, it doesn't have to be a realistic contemplation on the question of genetic manipulation. You apparently think that it's 'insulting' that it simplifies this issue. I think that's pretty hypocritical though. It's no more 'insulting' that Zeta Gundam not being a complex meditation on the difficulties of governing a conquered nation or people. Something I would argue is also in reality a very complicated and difficult issue.
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ah this weeks ANNCast was really interesting too bad about the audio that got messed up due to technical difficulties that would have been the fun part of the cast.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Well, shucks! I happen to like the banter most; it is the chocolate on this lovely dip cone that is AnnCast. Count me among those who missed it. Also... didn't Zac like Occult Academy?

I too would have liked to hear their thoughts on Kannagi. Plus, Zac needs to review more Summer titles, his reviews are freakin' hilarious!

Anywho... Great guest! Knowledgeable and passionate, but very down to earth and articulate/well-spoken; a good find, AnnCast.

Too bad you couldn't get pictures of the ManCave Awesomeness that was his office. You made it sound like it was a -nerd- gem to behold.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Also... didn't Zac like Occult Academy?

I think he saying he didn't like the summer season as a whole. Occult Academy may be the only show he likes from the entire season.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

I think he saying he didn't like the summer season as a whole. Occult Academy may be the only show he likes from the entire season.

This would be accurate, yes.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

This would be accurate, yes.

Does that mean you didn't like Shiki? It seems like it and Occult Academy are the two shows I'm mostly hearing positive things about. Personally I'm moderately pleased with this season. A couple good shows is pretty decent for summer in my experience.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:06 am Reply with quote
You guys ALMOST forgot Heat Guy J this episode.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
I totally agree that starting off with the Gundam movies is the best place to begin with the franchise. But all the way up to CCA is asking a bit much, just to get a handle on what Gundam is about.

I'd say the movies and 0080 put the message across, both thematically and timewise, than the bloatfests of Zeta and ZZ. And you can find both for about 40 bucks online fairly easily. The other set of OAVs -- 0083 and MS08th Team -- are good for additional viewing, despite the flaws of both particular entries into the franchise.

I second this. Having found the film trilogy to exceed my expectations, and the OVAs to supplement the 0079 storyline somewhat, I am currently satisfied with my level of Gundam exposure.
Recently, I have learned that series consisting of fifty episodes or more demand far more time than I'm usually willing to spend on a single anime, and so I avoid Zeta for this reason inter alia. (It may have been as a side-effect of this abstention that I found Char's Counterattack to be a lacklustre piece of cinema — a reaction which might have been improved by understanding the film's initial scenario in a little more depth.)

Unicorn intrigues me however. This too I shall have to avoid though: no standard-definition English-language release exists to my knowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
it saddens me that theres no first part, its usually my favorite part.

well anyway off to listen to it!
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ooo that audio distortion sounds familiar. I get that on my mac occasionally when I try to use skype or ventrillo. I have no idea what causes it, but closing the application seems to make it go away.

Nice podcast, always love to hear talk about WWII and Gundam, two of my most favorite topics of discussion. I tried watching Zeta Gundam after I watched the original MSG, but for some reason I just had to keep stopping. I just felt...bored.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Unicorn intrigues me however. This too I shall have to avoid though: no standard-definition English-language release exists to my knowledge.

I believe the (japanese) DVD has the english subs.
timeldred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for listening and commenting, everyone! Guess my yammering turned out more coherent than it felt like on the day, which is a relief.

If I may addendum, here are couple points I'd wanted (but failed) to make...

In Yamato, there's a great line of dialogue written by Leiji Matsumoto that bookends the series. Captain Okita says it in both the first and last episodes, once to each of the Kodai brothers under very different circumstances, but it works equally well in both cases. I'll paraphrase: "A real man bears the pain of today for the sake of tomorrow."

I really, really admire that and think about a lot. It's the sort of philosophy that one can only come by through hard experience (such as the rebuilding of a nation) and offers excellent real-world guidance. Compare it to the typical definition of manhood as presented in American pop culture, which is usually based on (A) who you can beat up and (B) how un-gay you are. This sort of guidance is fit only for the school playground.

The second thing I wanted to bring up was the mission of starblazers.com, which is to explore all things Yamato/Star Blazers. If you're already a fan of either one, you need no further explanation. If not, there's something there for you, too, since the secondary purpose is to explore the most pivotal period of anime, in which it evolved from a kids-only medium to one for all ages. It was as much a function of commerce as creativity, and Yamato laid all the foundations that we stand on today.

If, for example, you want to know how anime fandom, music, publishing, production, etc. turned the corner toward where it is now, you can find out at the site.

Or maybe you're wondering about why some anime was accepted in Europe but not America (such as, oh, let's say, Princess Knight). To grapple with that one, there's a really interesting article written by a friend of mine from Italy that explains how Italian TV evolved differently from American TV. Find it here:

http://www.starblazers.com/html.php?page_id=257

I hope you'll all find something at the site that enlightens and entertains. Thanks!
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster, and I'm here to say since I am someone in the armed forces (US Navy here), its odd, since when I watch things which are supposed to be "Realistic" war anime, I find ... well the characters don't make sense, either they do things which would cause NJP (Non Judicial Punishments), or court marshals would rain down faster than the MPs could come down. (Why is bright punching people, why are kids in giant robots). Anyway though, its fun, Yamato really feels, well in a way it feels like an idealized naval force, which is fun watching it. Anyway thanks Tim Eldred for doing what you do, and its odd, you would be shocked how many fans are in the service as we speak.

Anyway, thanks again for the podcast, ANN!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5