• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! Special Edition Part IV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this the same as Part III?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Weird, I'm not even sure how that happened. Anyway it's fixed now.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hah. I didn't even realize at first that there was a scar either. I thought it was his hair.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, Kevin reminds me of myself when I first started watching Junjou Romantica. Thank God for hair colors and clothing or I would've been SO lost. X'D
nishime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Oh wow, Kevin reminds me of myself when I first started watching Junjou Romantica. Thank God for hair colors and clothing or I would've been SO lost. X'D

It's funny, I can tell the six of them apart in the black & white original drawings better than I can with colors added, so I don't know if that was the animation character design's fault, or what. It took me a lot of reviewings of the OP to figure out which bits belonged to which couples.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
LOL! ...I totally missed the scar!

But seriously, why is it every Bishonen or Japanese Pretty Boy looks like an extra from an 80's Duran Duran Video?! Seriously! It's 2010, Ladies!

And the Androgyny... Lordy, don't get me started on the metrosexual androgyny!

Funny strip!
youjik33

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Well, androgyny is not exactly unusual among real Japanese men.

...when I was in Japan one of my (female) friends thought there was a totally hot guy working in a flower shop, but then was horribly embarrassed when she realized it was a girl.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Hm, characters looking the same... sounds familiar... oh yes... while I happen to like his character designs, I imagine there'll be someone in here eventually to complain about Hisashi Hirai. Though, I could be wrong... and I won't complain about that.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:22 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
I imagine there'll be someone in here eventually to complain about Hisashi Hirai.
Now that you mention it.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna roast a sacred cow here, but I had the same problem the first time I tried to read Fruits Basket. Honestly, I had no problem with Fushigi Yuugi, but Furuba confused me...I would be reading and think "which one is this again?" However, I stopped about 2/3 of the way through, and came back to it about 6 months later, and finished it with no trouble.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I'm gonna roast a sacred cow here, but I had the same problem the first time I tried to read Fruits Basket. Honestly, I had no problem with Fushigi Yuugi, but Furuba confused me...I would be reading and think "which one is this again?" However, I stopped about 2/3 of the way through, and came back to it about 6 months later, and finished it with no trouble.

I'll see your roasted sacred cow and raise you some sacred-beef satay. (Peanut sauce is the ultimate desecration for a sacred beast.) I had no trouble distinguishing Fruits Basket characters in the first half of the series, but by the last few books the art style had changed so much that I found myself recognizing half the characters more by context than appearance. Everyone was... soft focus, all the distinguishing angular bits sanded away. I found it disorienting enough that I debated abandoning my token shojo title. In the end, I did end up buying the full series, in no small part because sometimes you need one more item to get free shipping.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
I noticed the same thing with Kanon. All but 1 of the main female characters (and some of the supporting caste) had the EXACT SAME FACE just with different hair/eye color and hair style.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I wouldn't say all of Watase Yuu's charas look the same, but I've noticed that across different series, the characters in the same roles often do have similar faces (i.e. Tohya, Tamahome and the robot in Absolute Boyfriend all have very similar faces, and Miaka and the other heroines tend to have the same face shape and eye size/shape). It's as Nina says--sometimes, the mangaka has 1 ideal as "most attractive" for men and women, and so the "most attractive" or "most pure" (in the case of the heroine) is what the leading male and female characters tend to get. But the side characters often do look more distinct.

In the case of the Saiunkoku anime, however--I put that down to a pretty lousy character designer/adapter. The characters in the manga all look pretty distinct (especially the eyes--Kouyuu's sharper, cattier eyes are totally different from the warm, lucid ones of Seiran or the dark-lashed, elegant ones of Shuuei). So even though everyone's a bishounen, they at least look like themselves (i.e. you couldn't do the hair swap a la the Hisashi Hirai example... lol!). Overall, I kind of don't like the anime adaptation of Saiunkoku... seems very cheap and slapdash compared to the novels or manga. =__=;;;
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I'm gonna roast a sacred cow here, but I had the same problem the first time I tried to read Fruits Basket.

Oh good, I thought it was just me. The characters are easy to tell apart in the anime, but reducing the available hair colors to 2 makes things tough.

Also, a lot of the speech bubbles were free-floating, so you couldn't even tell who was saying what.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

But seriously, why is it every Bishonen or Japanese Pretty Boy looks like an extra from an 80's Duran Duran Video?! Seriously! It's 2010, Ladies!

And the Androgyny... Lordy, don't get me started on the metrosexual androgyny!

Sorry, it's still hot! :p

tej*darkness wrote:
I imagine there'll be someone in here eventually to complain about Hisashi Hirai.

Heheh, I do hate that guy's character design, though not necessarily because all the characters look the same (that chart is pretty funny), I just don't like the style. But that's cool, I still really love Nobuteru Yuki and Nomura Tetsuya, but practically everyone but me is really sick of those guys now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2