• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you noticed [about the moderators]?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zappa21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The moderatiors on this website are Harsh... funny, but harsh!

[EDIT: Added some context to your thread title. -TK]
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say they're harsh at all. This forum has rules, Teh Rules, which are enforced, and they are the enforcers. It's one of the great things about this site. As long as we remain within the rules they won't have to take enforcement action.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Wrong forum, as this one is only for responses to front-page news, articles, and reviews. If you have complaints, please use the ANN Feedback forum instead and be more specific.

EDIT: Hmmm, it appears someone beat me to the punch on moving this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Well Zappa21, I am going to tell you what my boss once said to another coworker while I was near. "This company has rules, as such you are required to abide by them. If you don't want to abide by those rules you can always leave."

I don't think the moderators here are harsh at all. Most (if not all) are doing this voluntarily (despite having actual jobs, like myself and others) and are fair with their judgment. I've been to other anime forums where the so called moderators acted worse than spammers and one liners combined.

In addition, the moderators actually do their jobs here and sometimes in a hilarious manner. I've been to other sites and besides this site, I haven't one another site that actually enforces the rules that are written.

But Zappa21, if you think the moderators are too harsh, that is your prerogative. But at least the follow and enforce the rules here. A website/forum without rules is like not taking ADHD medicine if you have ADHD. Except much worse.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
But at least the follow and enforce the rules here.

Only when they feel like it. I've seen Moderators and Admin say things - and get away with it - that would have gotten a regular user chastised and/or punished. And some of them just love to step in and support people whom they agree with, no matter what sort of behaviour those users exhibited. It's juvenile and corrupt.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It's juvenile and corrupt.

No, you're juvenile and corrupt!

Seriously though please stop expecting the mods to behave as a perfectly consistent and robotic team of synchronized personalities who react in every single situation the exact same way. It's a totally thankless job and it boils down to this:

If you're being a dick, you're going to get punished or moderated somehow. Sometimes it doesn't take much, sometimes it does, sometimes we forgive when we shouldn't, sometimes we're unforgiving when we should be. Dealing with people is hard, nobody's perfect.

Also no offense dtm42 but your behavior alone has caused at least one moderator to quit when I refused to ban you for your crappy behavior and shitty antagonistic condescending nasty attitude so hey maybe take it easy on us. We tolerate you way more than we should.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
Somehow I knew when I saw your name that you would be responding to me. I must be psychic or something.

I was neither referring to nor complaining about Moderators being inconsistent. Rather, that they were being consistent in breaking the rules or taking sides instead of being impartial.

I did wonder why abunai didn't post anymore (I assume you are talking about him). But I never would have believed that he would be [Edit: No need to insult abunai, particularly since he isn't even here to defend himself.]. I thought he looked down on me too much to think that. And it doesn't really mesh with the intelligent, rational, [Edit: Again, insults are not necessary in this situations.]

It is funny, since abunai's behaviour in the Katanagatari thread was one of the bigger examples I had of Moderators getting away with bad behaviour. Blood- was being a dick and personally attacking people right left and centre. I think he told me that he wished I was dead, or words to that effect. I told him (more politely than I had any reason to) that he should stop and then I reported him. Along comes abunai who strolls in, locks the discussion thread, and then calls both of us idiots. I reported abunai but his unwarranted insult still stands. I would later use the word "idiot' to describe Carl Kimlinger; I wonder how that turned out for me? Hmmm . . . . . .

Tl;dr I'm glad abunai is gone.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with the ANN moderators conduct. (I did have a serious problem with abunai's conduct but if he's quit then there's no point beating a dead horse). The rest of the mods are generally nice, pleasant, reasonable people. They're not perfect of course but I don't think it's fair to expect them to be.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 am Reply with quote
Eh.. I think that's enough horse-beating.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1