• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Manry Competition

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
From what little I saw of Soul Eater, I never noticed any real similarity to Bleach other than normal shonen fare. The main character herself really doesn't seem to be the idiot hero that is in pretty much every single Shonen Jumo series other than Rurouni Kenshin, and Death Note.

Also I really have to disagree with anyone about Bleach being superior to Soul Eater. I mean nothing could possibly be as bad as Bleach after the Soul Society arc. He literally repeated that arc by replacing Shinigami with Arrancar and Rukia with Orihime. Not to mention the inconsistent power levels that make training useless, Ichigo getting a random powerup and then bitching about how crappy the fight was.

I mean I have heard that the Soul Eater anime has a crappy ending, but I can't imagine it could sustain Bleach's constant terribleness.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I was looking at Nendoroids this afternoon at my local anime store (Anime Stop in Nepean) and... yeah... they look like toys that would maybe cost $12 or so at Wal-Mart if they were of mainstream American cartoon characters, and, even given the speciality import premium, I find it ridiculous that people would pay over, say, $25 for them. Not $55, like the store was charging (which isn't really much of a markup over Japanese prices). At the same store, you can get some of the smaller imported figures with normal proportions and some nice detail for the same price or less.

And what do you do with Nendoroids, really? I see some people on Flickr photograph them in little scenes, either with other Nendoroid characters or just interacting with everyday things like giant teacups, and I suppose that's a good use, but, for shelf display purposes, I'd rather just get normal figures.

I might make an exception to my lack-of-interest in Nendoroids for the upcoming Chiaki Minami (from Minami-ke) Nendoroid, though. Nendoroids of child characters look slightly less goofy than Nendoroids of teenage-and-up-aged characters, since the superdeformed proportions make everyone resemble small kids anyhow.

I'm surprised neither of you (or your guest) have read Scott Pilgrim. I just thought I'd ask since it's the only vaguely OEL manga-ish comic to make much of a splash in the greater North American pop culture landscape outside of comic book fandom, what with the live-action movie on the way next year (plus a videogame tie-in and then I'd be astonished if a Scott Pilgrim animated TV series doesn't soon follow).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
If it makes you feel better I value the reviews on this site. You guys work really hard on giving us an good perspective, whether or not you like the show there is still something to be gleaned from the review.

I like Sasameki Koto a lot, the spoiler[ the kissing mask ] was really amusing. Just out of curiosity why didn't you like it? A turn for retarded isn't too descriptive. Fairy Tale retarded or Naruto filler retarded? Smile

Do not get rid of the fist of death moderation! It makes for good conversation and smart users. If I want a forum of dumbasses I'll go to 4chan, but since my IQ is above 60 I'm gonna stay here. I love our "gun-ho" mods by the way.

I don't claim to being apart of my generation; they typically bother me. Good show this week, I laughed like a mad man.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:53 pm Reply with quote
They were talking about the second episode of Sasameki Koto, and I have to imagine that they didn't like the spoiler[crossdresser]
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
What are "Jorts"? Or do I not want to know (or I really need to get my hearing checked)
I saw Fame, walked in the theater because I was bored and expected for it to be a great waste of time and well...heh. I'm so easily suckered in for shiny dance scenes haha.
I really enjoy the reviews on ANN, I like to see how the reviewers liked something I already watched, or something I was planning to, which well is obvious on why you would read reviews, but anyway.
I enjoyed this podcast, I look forward to the next one Smile

Last edited by Mistypearl on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
They were talking about the second episode of Sasameki Koto, and I have to imagine that they didn't like the spoiler[crossdresser]

...or the gimmick of spoiler[him/her being a magazine model and the target of affection of the main love interest, therefore completing a very forced love triangle.]
I/we LOVED the first episode, since it was real, not pandering at all and genuinely sympathetic. This was just dumb.
Mistypearl wrote:
What are "Jorts"? Or do I not want to know (or I really need to get my hearing checked)

Well jorts are jean shorts. We misspoke, though. We were pre-emptively worried about people dressing as this guy:

So far his main distinguishing feature as a character is that he keeps absent-mindedly stripping down to his underwear (which are just longish black shorts). Yeah, wonder what audience THAT's aiming for.

Edit: in taking this screenshot I noticed that the BGM is lazy rip-offs of classical music. God this show blows.

Last edited by jsevakis on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about the spoiler[crossdresser] for a minute, I never liked him. Must every yuri show have one for comic purposes? Maybe spoiler[ he'll get hit by a bus or get transfered to an all girls catholic school. ] It is too much too ask for a show portraying real lesbians.

Thanks for the warning about the Nendoroids; I almost wasted 35 bucks for a POS.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:

Denim shorts that end just past the knee and usually look oversized and baggy on whoever's wearing them. Generally considered a bad fashion choice.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
I forgot about the spoiler[crossdresser] for a minute, I never liked him. Must every yuri show have one for comic purposes? Maybe spoiler[ he'll get hit by a bus or get transfered to an all girls catholic school. ] It is too much too ask for a show portraying real lesbians.

Thanks for the warning about the Nendoroids; I almost wasted 35 bucks for a POS.

What show the world for what it really is that's not drama or even what passes for most comedy, your looking for satire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, Saskmeki Koto showed signs of somewhat farcical touches in episode one: spoiler[when Sumika karate-kicked a book out of midair before it landed on Akemiya's head, for example]. That's kind of when I realized I wasn't watching Aoi Hana Redux. Perhaps the first episode can be faulted for not fully revealing how goofy the humour in the series was going to get, thus setting up different expectations, but I think the tone has been established now. In light of that tone, rapping its knuckles forspoiler[ a "forced love triangle" involving a cross-dressing model who is actually a male student at the school] seems akin to bagging on Star Trek for its less than strict adherence to real astrophysics.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
So I should give up hope for getting a re-release of Cardcaptor Sakura? Ahhhh, knew I probably should anyway but it feels so sad to completely give up hope on that show.
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember anything after Justin talking about passing a block of cheese. Dude! seriously! That was the best you could come up with on the spot? Just pickin', funny ****, literally.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
So I should give up hope for getting a re-release of Cardcaptor Sakura? Ahhhh, knew I probably should anyway but it feels so sad to completely give up hope on that show.

I think the question was more pertaining to old shows that have never been licensed than it is to re-releases of old shows that were already licensed.

I'd be very surprised if Cardcaptor Sakura doesn't get some kind of thinpack or brick treatment eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Just notice the part on moderation, and while it does look easy I think ANN is probably one of the few websites that I consider well moderated.

Your not banned for getting into an arguement, or for disagreeing with the staff unless you where warned about it beforehand and it takes something drastic to get that. For example I was once banned for telling someone to spell Trunks name right, and to stop calling him Toranksu. You also prevent the boards from falling into anarchy, I think in one message board I was constantly banned and then unbanned just because while I was a jerk at that board so was everyone else.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

I've lost hope for Sailor StarS, but there is a whole new set of problems with it that we are not going into. If you look hard enough you can still find Cardcaptor Sakura sub dvds and the CardCaptor dub show. Check Amazon and your local used book store and good luck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3