• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bloody Monday Manga Creators Draw Inception Film Poster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Heh, that's pretty cool.
I really want to see Inception soon when I get the chance.
I've heard nothing but praise about it.

Isn't Paprika going to be made into a live-action movie too? I don't remember...

It's definitely worth checking out, though pay attention as it is pretty cerebral and twisty.

And yes, the director of Das Boot and The Neverending Story is trying to make a live action Paprika.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-25/wolfgang-petersen-develops-live-action-paprika-film

Not sure how that'll work out

After seeing Inception and finding out Nolan took influence from Paprika. I wonder if we should get Christopher Nolan to maybe direct the live-action Paprika instead of Wolfgang Petersen. Why, because I feel like a anime fan (since Nolan himself is a fan) should direct a movie since he would understand the fan and he would be careful how to keep it faithful to the anime.

Quote:
Sure, when it's a manga/anime latching onto the popularity of a Hollywood movie, nobody has a problem with it - but when it's the reverse.... Laughing

I get what you mean. The same thing happen when US remake Asian movie, yet nobody complain when Asia remake (or rip-off) American movie. Did you know Japan remade Sideways? Also Zhang Yimou remade Coen's Brother Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story. I have yet to hear any complaint about it. Also this will baffle any of you, I was on Crunchyroll and found a forum topic for a Asian remake of Twilight fantasy cast. I could imagine Japan probably remaking Twilight because the book and the movie are popular in Japan. I bet nobody will complain if Tetsuya Fujiwara will play as Edward and Aya Ueto play as Bella in the Japanese remake. Is this double Standard when it comes to remake? Yes, I think so. Because somebody will yap about how US remake Asian film, but no one will ever complain about Asia remake a American film. I bet you that:

If Japan remake Scarface and Takeshi Kitano direct the remake. Nobody will complain, the people that hate US remake of Asian film will say this: "(Bleep) Al Pacino, and (Bleep) Brian DePalma. The Japanese version is a big win and Kitano will show how Scarface does it in Japanese. Japanese version is superior to the crappy American film".

If Hong Kong remake Die Hard and if Tony Leung Chu-Wai played John McClane in the remake, nobody will complain. Maybe I'll hear one person saying "Tony Leung pwned, Bruce Willis suck. Hong Kong FTW, American version suck".

Now, I'm not hating on remake or Asian remake on American film. I would like to see Asia take on American movie. Like for example, I would like to see a Hong Kong remake of the Boondock Saints (since Troy Duffy is very much horrible on directing) with John Woo directing the remake. I wouldn't mind if Japan remake Carrie since some people would like to see a Carrie anime (but I always thought a live-action remake would work). Takeshi Miike as director of the remake, and Chiaki Kuriyama as Carrie anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Personally, I love to see a Japanese or other Asian country take on Let the Right One In! Of course, it's a Swedish film and we Americans have already done a remake but still it'd be interesting.

While we're on the subject, I know it would be extremely redundant by now but I've love to see an anime version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sorry for going slightly OT!
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, it irks me that he's only indirectly acknowledged Paprika, especially after those Youtube mash-ups and reviewers who noted the similarities.

I hadn't actually watched the videos until just now (I was posting from my phone yesterday), but WTF. I fail to see a single connection made between Inception and Paprika in those videos. Pointing to my previous post, I'm not denying influence. I just fail to see how these videos prove it.

Not to mention if you look at the descriptions...

Quote:
As every year goes by, the big summer "Oh my gosh!" movie comes out and there is an AMV trailer for it. The big 2010 summer movie is Inception, and this is my AMV.

Inception was a very tricky film to find a matching anime for. Detectives, dreams, and a warping city landscape. Something that specific usually doesn't come in anime, or many other things either. So after a lot of research, the only anime wasn't a series, but appropriately a film by Satoshi Kon: Paprika.

I like Kon's animes, from Perfect Blue to Paranoia Agent and the rest. With Paprika's bizarre imagery and yes even dreams, it seemed like the right choice. Unfortunately there are no origami skyscrapers in the movie, but the themes and characters matched the trailer pretty well. Can't wait to see this in IMAX next month!

Quote:
When I saw the trailer for Inception, I thought of Parika so I decided to make a trailer for it.

However I would like to point out that I don't feel that either of the two are 'rip-off's' of each other. There are millions of people on the planet so you can't honestly believe that every thought is original. Someone else is bound to have similar ideas-

That being said I would appreciate it if there were NO MORE discussions regarding whether or not there was any copying of ideas. I don't care. They are both AMAZING movies with different plots. If discussions continue I'm going to have to remove the ability to add comments which I would rather not do. Thank you~

Bouncing off your whole "these you tube mash-ups are proof that Inception totally rips off Paprika", I'd like to note that CLEARLY Inception totally ripped off Haruhi. I mean, God, how did I not notice how extremely similar they were before? They're basically identical. I mean, look at this

EDIT: Also just read that review. That's a very... Slight passing comment.

Last edited by Unholy_Nny on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Personally, I love to see a Japanese or other Asian country take on Let the Right One In! Of course, it's a Swedish film and we Americans have already done a remake but still it'd be interesting.

I would also like to see a Japanese take on The Unborn. Since that film does have a bit of J-horror touch into it and also the ghost boy does remind me of The Grudge. I always thought that some of our horror movie would do well as Japanese remake like Saw, Boogeyman, and I think The Shining should get a Japanese remake (Ken Watanabe should play Jack Nicholson's character for the remake).

EDIT: Yes I made it to 400 post. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
chicken: My problem is that Nolan will be in the running for an Oscar long over-due to Kon, simply because he's got better connections.

mdo:
Quote:
The same thing happen when US remake Asian movie, yet nobody complain when Asia remake (or rip-off) American movie. Did you know Japan remade Sideways? Also Zhang Yimou remade Coen's Brother Blood Simple into A Simple Noodle Story. I have yet to hear any complaint about it.

Maybe 'cus the Asian end doesn't pretend that it's their own movie? Rolling Eyes
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Yeah, it irks me that he's only indirectly acknowledged Paprika, especially after those Youtube mash-ups and reviewers who noted the similarities.

Have you actually seen Paprika? Because generally, a bunch of images from Paprika with a voice over from Inception describing a bunch of stuff...not actually in Paprika at all is a pretty poor way to prove whatever crazy point you're trying to make.

Not that I'm claiming Paprika didn't influence Inception. Apparently it did. Being that until now there was no real hard evidence it did and pretty plausible explanations for the superficial similarities between the two, I took the rational course of action and assumed it didn't. That's why I'm perfectly comfortable admitting that it turned out to be true. Because I (and people like me) never turned this into a big deal like you did.

That's the joke of all this. The guy admits that Paprika was one of the influences and still you complain. Apparently it wasn't clear enough or he should have done it sooner or afterward he should have committed ritual seppuku. It never even occurs to you that maybe, the reason he merely mentioned offhand that Paprika influenced parts of Inception is because...not everyone is a anime nerd who spends all their time desperately waging war against the forces of anything American to combat their silly insecurity. He's not making some huge and shocking revelation. The 99.999% of people who aren't like you really don't give a flying fudge if he was inspired in part by Paprika. When they hear it is, they being normal, non crazy human beings go 'Oh, yeah, I can see the resemblance' and go on with their day. They do this because at most when they originally heard about Inception, they though 'Hmm, that sounds a bit like Paprika, I wonder if it's the inspiration at all? That seems like a possibility' They did this because, simply put, it does not matter. A movie that borrows a basic concept or premise from another work. That makes Inception just like most other movies from both Hollywood and Japan. So of course, sane people don't make a big thing of it. Unlike you. You immediately assume as a matter of undeniable fact that once again, the evil Hollywood was 'stealing' from anime and took to the internet with another little nerd jihad.

So yeah, congratulations. You were right. You've shown us all that if you talk about your ass long enough, you may eventually happen to be right. Kudos.

one would imagine an artist would do more for another than just indirectly and off camera acknowledging these kind of inspirations, especially if it is really as the article described "a principal inspiration" that this one artist was able to derive from another's work. certainly there are different levels of responses and each artist or even the artist's audience would have different standards as in what he or she may do in the same situation. perhaps nolan simply isn't someone who is keen on crediting his sources, or perhaps he feels detached on respect or emotion as he adapts work from another. either way it's obvious his level of response didn't meet this particular audience whose post you're quoting from. but who are you to criticize this audience anyway?

Last edited by jtstellar on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jtstellar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
I can imagine Chrisopher Nolan nervously going to see Paprika, and then giving a big sigh of relief when the credits roll, thinking "At least they had a completely different take than I did". Because the movies are very different; Paprika is about the surrealness of dreams invading reality, while Inception is about making dreams as realistic as possible (Perhaps part of the reason Inception focuses on dreams that seem "realistic" is to avoiding hewing too close to ground that Paprika already tread). The only significant parallel I see is that in both films the line between dreams and reality becomes blurred.

Quote:
I feel weird being a "Nolan fanboy" because I've seen the attitudes of a few and I think I'm from a different category. I think his Batman stuff is his weakest with Memento and The Prestige being his best films... (I'd rank Inception very slimly behind The Prestige)

The Dark Knight hits a sweet spot for me in how it balances spectacle with emotional engagement and intellect. All of Nolan's other movies are very good, but Inception (intentionally) doesn't have the same level of emotional involvement, while Memento and Prestige don't have the same action element and Batman Begins ideas aren't as fully formed, etc.

. . .

Got a little off topic.

Yeah, I don't really care for that poster very much.

hmm? if the article is correct, nolan already admitted taking "principal inspirations" from paprika. what's more to speculate?

also, nolan did start writing this 7 years ago if i don't get the number wrong. it seems he was simply sort of dry on ideas until paprika came along. if that were the case, paprika of course would become a major influence as it became the sole new blood that rebooted this project. and of course inception had a different direction.. like i said, nolan started the project way before paprika. he just never carried through. the project got rebooted just after paprika came out (2006) and he's had some 2 to 3 years to polish his script.. the timing is all about right. so it all makes sense.. he started a project 7 years ago but it went cold, but he already had some ideas. paprika gave him the urge to finish the project.. you can say without paprika inception would never be, but the end product is not entirely the same.. which is of course the case, otherwise i don't know what the heck he's been doing 4 years prior to paprika.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
he only waited for Inception because he had no experience with large scale films, thus why he did his Batman movies.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I have seen Paprika in a theater, but it did not once pop into my mind while I was watching Inception last weekend. While Chris Nolan may have taken some inspiration from Paprika (primarily, it sounds like, in the form of the character Ariadne), it is otherwise so utterly different that to call it a "rip-off" smacks of short-sighted elitism.

And really, pointing to the common mirror-smashing scene as evidence? How often does a scene like that appear in dream-based or mind-trippy series and movies? Using an elevator as a metaphor for moving between different memories/layers of dreams is also something I have seen done elsewhere besides these two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
chicken: My problem is that Nolan will be in the running for an Oscar long over-due to Kon, simply because he's got better connections.

Nolan's only been nominated once for an Oscar and, you know, didn't win. Inception is the best live-action film I've seen this year and is easily better than the last two films to win "Best Picture".

Nolan deserves an Oscar just as much as Kon (My favorite anime director), and just because Kon hasn't received one doesn't mean Nolan shouldn't get one.

And anyone who has actually seen both movies either (a) acknowledges that any influence from Kon is minimal and the end product is absolutely nothing like Paprika or (b) is a weeaboo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Key: How about Cotillard's falling sequence? Or Page wearing the same business suit as Paprika, and Levitt wearing the same out-fit as those bar-keeps? Oh, and those machines which connect them to the dream world?

Unholy: He's still got one more nomination than Kon. Anyway, I'm ok with Nolan getting one for another TDK. I don't like him winning because of a remake. The only reason I was willing to let Marty slide on his win was because his ass was long over-due for the gold.

Anyway, even Kon seems to be noting the similarities in his blog update:

The movie's TV spots, but I think I first saw the CM was published shortly before, as soon as I saw laughing. 映像的なことにせよセリフにしてもキャッチコピーにしても「あ・ん・ま・り」じゃないか(笑) If you catch even if you copy words and images that case, "Mari heating pad" or not (laughs)
すぐに名付けたぞ。 I immediately named.
「パクリカ」 "Pakurika"
でも、別にそれでもいいじゃないか、というか、私にはどうでもいいし。 But I still do not separate, or rather, I was good with it.
どうせ植民地なんだしさ。 Because we are a colony is anyway.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
either way it's obvious his level of response didn't meet this particular audience whose post you're quoting from. but who are you to criticize this audience anyway?

By 'this audience' you mean who? GATSU? Why can't I criticize GATSU? He routinely spouts nonsensical, baseless accusations that Hollywood is ripping off anime. He states these claims as undeniable fact despite really having no hard evidence whatsoever to support them. He displays a complete and unapologetic bias against anything American. And now...because for once, it happens that he was partially correct (by mere coincidence of course) he's going to act all smug like everyone should feel stupid for not agreeing with his baseless nonsense initially? Shocked

I can hardly think of anyone more deserving of criticism.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 am Reply with quote
I think it needs to be said that the Oscars are terrible; it's like watching a 2-hour long movie commercial (or however long it was this year).

I never watched it up until this year, but the only thing remotely interesting about it was the facial reaction James Cameron made when his ex-wife won the director's award.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
chicken:
Quote:
And now...because for once, it happens that he was partially correct (by mere coincidence of course)

Yeah, totally coincidental, even though it was like the [don't even think about it] a thing all over again where even American fans were pointing it out. Rolling Eyes

[Mod Edit: You have been allowed to go this far because the article does touch on what you're talking about, even though it is not the articles intent in spite of your soapboxing having turned it in to this threads focus now. So you've done enough damage as is and you're walking a fine line at this point, don't push your luck.

However, your soapboxing stops once you try and bring other titles and more sweeping accusations in to this. This thread is about "Inception" and that's it, if you're going to start trying to turn it in to your personal rant against the industry then you're done here, end of story.

- Keonyn]
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't like him winning because of a remake.

I am now done reading any of your posts ever. Does ANN have an "ignore" option somewhere?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4