• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - BAOH

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's BAOH!

I first saw the OVA, which I did enjoy, and then I read the manga... Which was better mainly because it delves more into storytelling than the OVA. As a JoJo fan I too had to see and read this manga, and it was enjoyable. It really seemed like Araki's take on Guyver, but it's hard to tell what really came first.

Also, BAOH was popular enough in Japan to be half of the inspiration to World Heroes boss Dio/Neo Dio, complete with roughly the same attack style and piercing scream; guess what the other half of the inspiration was...
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:02 am Reply with quote
Ah, I thought I recognized that art style!

It's always interesting to read the works from mangaka before they 'hit it big'. (As a complete side-note, I'm curious why BAOH wasn't seen in Jump Ultimate Stars, but that's besides the point).

Great column! I hope you enjoyed the convention!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
Riki-Oh ("Violence King"), whose praises other bloggers have sang better than I could

Hey now, don't sell yourself short! I couldn't have done it without you.

I do however have to question your assessment of the Baoh animated OAV as "fairly mediocre." In fact, I contend that it just might be the single greatest one-shot OAV of all time. Having read both the manga and seen the anime many a time, the Baoh anime is almost a shot-for-shot retelling of the entire Baoh manga, which as you noted is rather short. There was a regrettable omission of some underling battles (the baboon for one), but the absurdity of shonen manga's penchant for endless expository dialogue is highlighted in full once you actually hear someone have to deliver it. The English dub also features some of the most...memorable...performances in the realm of anime ADR there has ever been. Given the presence of these things and the relatively primitive artwork of Araki's at the time, the Baoh anime is--dare I say--superior to the manga! Still, there is no need to draw such partisan lines. The ideal solution for all Baohaholics is to procure both the anime and the manga...but watch the anime first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
After reading Jojo I've been interested in checking out BAOH, as well as Gorgeous Irene, so it's really cool to see this article about one of them. It's also really interesting to see how much Araki's art has evolved over the years too, he's such an incredible artist.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote
Woo Baoh!!

Too bad the baboon wasn't in the anime especially since it's head was featured in a recently released Baoh figure Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
BAOH HAS A LAZER CANNON!

'Nuff said.

Oh cool the AWO guys are on the boards.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this column. Now this an oldie I remember from my last years of HS to mid college. I still have a few issues of 'Baoh' when it was released for the mainstream comic market. I never finished the series. A friend of mine hated 'Baoh', because he felt the art work was so ugly. I liked it. But I find it interesting that the artist was also responsible for 'Jojo's Bizarre'. I never knew this, yet for some reason I saw a familiarity when I would see posters for 'JJ' but never made the connection that 'Baoh' was an earlier work. But it's glad to know this. I own the OVA because it was a classic I watched with friends during the days of trading copies from master VHS and LDs. While it's not spectacular as some have review it's a piece from the past that one fondly remembers and makes it worth collecting to replace their old cassette tape. I have yet to sit down and relive this title again subtitled.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading this episode of this column.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
"Oh no, Baoh has a laser cannon!"

I've been perversly interested in this ever since AWO did a review/summary of it. They weren't joking when they said the main character has as incredibly dorky outfit (although I have to say, Baoh himself actually looks cooler than I thought he would).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Jason Thompson wrote:
In typical gar style, BAOH is a bit sexist

Err—what is "gar style"? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Jason Thompson wrote:
In typical gar style, BAOH is a bit sexist

Err—what is "gar style"? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Think 'Fist of the North Star'.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me that that new 360 game about the 8 year old boy in limbo was recently released. I saw some clips of the game deaths. Disturbing how people are into this level of violence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1